Subject: Re: Question: Week Number Semantics (Mars, CSS)

From: "Frank Dawson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 08:33:47 -0500

Phil Wolff wrote in part:

>With the addition of the ".mars" domain, we're talking about years and
>weeknumbers that are very different. I don't know that RFC 2445 or ISO 8601
>address this.

I believe that ISO 8601 is unambiguous about the fact that we are talking
about a "week" relative to the ".earth" domain. RFC 2445 indicates that it
is specified relative to the GREGORIAN calendar scale. It is enabled for
other calendar scales, but will need enhancements as we add other calendar
scales. For example, you will need other RECUR grammars that are specific to
the other calendar scales.

<SNIPPED TEXT>

>I'm influenced by the way HTML can link to external CSS style sheets. Is
there a
>logical separation where we describe events, event rules, and other event
>characteristics that are separate from the core protocol? Week number seems
to
>me to be a lot like calculating the first night of Ramadan or Rosh Hashana
or a
>fiscal quarter. These schemes are useful, and used widely. Do we need to
include
>their logic and algebras in this standard? Or can we includes those
calendar
>logics and algebras by external reference?

My question was relative to the RECUR value type in RFC 2445. This
recurrence grammar is certainly designed to work with the default CALENDAR
SCALE (which is GREGORIAN). When we start adding other calendar scales, we
may indeed need to think about more "MODEL" and "DATA" schema-level (my
term) separation than we have. Good point. Any initiative to offer a
contribution in this area?

<SNIPPED TEXT>

>If all I need to know is that I have a
>meeting 60 minutes before sunset until 45 minutes after on Tuesdays and
>Thursdays in Paris for the next year, per
>http://calendar.judaica.is/traditional.dtd; then I don't need to do the
solar
>calculations and render them for 104 unique meetings.

The concept of "45 minutes" is also dependent on the ".earth" domain. You
would have to have more separation then that to meet your earlier comments
about "Model" and "Data" schema-level (my term) separation.

- - Frank