Subject: XML and CAP discussion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:26:37 -0500

As we draw near the final completion of the CAP draft, we need to resolve
one of the last major issues.  Currently, the syntax in the CAP document
will be ICAL based.  There has been discussion revolving around using XML
as the syntax.  This posting is an effort to finalize this decision so we
can get the draft published.  There is a proposal on the table to have an
addendum added to the document that show how to implement CAP using XML.
However, it would be with the understanding that the underlying MUST syntax
would be ICAL-based.  Then, once the draft was submitted, CAP version 2
would be started and the direction for that draft would be towards XML,
which by that time has had time to evolve itself.  We want to give the list
the opportunity to state opinions and comments.  Due to the short timeframe
between now and when the draft must be submitted, we must put a time limit
on posting of comments.  If you feel strongly about using XML versus ICAL
based syntax, please post to this list within the next two weeks.  That
should provide adequate and fair time for feedback. especially from those
who do not frequent the list as much as others.  Based on the feedback and
the number of responses, we will then make a judgement call, working
together with the area directors, and post the final decision to the list.

---

From: Phil Wolff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:20:05 -0800

Let me throw in with the XML view. If the group adopts an XML DTD as the
base/required syntax, developers get to draw on the all the related work and
protocols rapidly evolving around XML. Parsers, styles for presentation, remote
procedure calls, content distribution/syndication, and industry-specific XML
vocabularies.
    I'm working on an XML DTD for the contract staffing industry. It would be
great to able to include the CAP definitions by reference for things like
office hours, time card data, time card due dates, contract durations, contract
bidding periods, project milestones, etc. These are more than plain old date
fields; they represent the convergence of people/objects, places, and time: the
stuff of CAP.
    Let's switch horses while it's early in the race.
    I'd also like to hear how much delay or rework is really involved for
developers who've already started down the ICAL path to make the switch.

Phil Wolff
a long time and frequent lurker to this list
-----------------------------------------------------------------
mailto:[email-masked],[email-masked]