Subject: Re: IRIP version 4 (Part 1) [CSID NAME]

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:04:28 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:

> Can I specify an IP address or must it be a DNS name??  Id think it
> would
> be odd to have a CSID of 128.221.2.45 instead of calstore.dg.com.
> (The
> term "address" above conotes IP to me but maybe you are using the RFC
> 2038
> terminology.)

Good point. We need to be explicit here. We had originally modelled the
calendar addresses after RFC 1738 which allows either domain names of a
network host or the IP address as 4 dotted numbers.

I am interested in what others think.  What are the issues with allowing
the dotted IP address?

BTW. RFC 2038 is entitled "RTP Payload Format for MPEG1/MPEG2 Video".
You weren't really referring to that one were you?

-Steve

---

From: "Lowde, Chris A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:10:43 -0600

The primary issue with the 4.dotted number as a mechanism is that it
precludes IPv6. 
Either specifically permit IPv6 style addresses in the spec or restrict the
address to DNS names.

Chris Lowde
Texaco

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 1999 23:04
To: Bruce Kahn
Cc: CalSched IETF
Subject: Re: IRIP version 4 (Part 1) [CSID NAME]

-Steve

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:19:33 GMT

>Either specifically permit IPv6 style addresses in the spec or restrict 
the

This was my original intent to suggest.  Since some sites dont have DNS 
names they publish (mainly those sites that send me spam or X-rated 
emails) Id say that restricting to DNS names may not be desirable (then 
again... :^b)

>You weren't really referring to that one were you?

Nope, that was a case of interupted train of thought @ work.  I was 
intending 1738 or the replacement of ~2068 mentioned in Minneapolis.  Hmm, 
maybe its a subliminal hybrid of the two...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...