Subject: FW: opening times and holidays

From: "Greg FitzPatrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:22:32 +0100

From: Niklas Hjelm [mailto:[email-masked]]

Greg,

Problems about the representation of Opening Times in iCal: Periods can be
multiple but only in the same scale and not nested.
Periods are not allowed in exceptions.

Suggestion: Allow PERIOD in RRULE and EXRULE. But better still - define
combined rules, i.e (I know thoose c++ comments are not allowed, but it
would have been nice).

	BEGIN:UNION //new keyword

	DTSTART:19870405T020000z
	RDATE;VALUE=PERIOD:19000401T000000Z/19000930T240000Z
	RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY

	//9.00-17.00 mo-fr
	DTSTART:19000401T090000z
	RDATE;VALUE=PERIOD:19000101T090000Z/PT8M
	RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH,FR;UNTIL=19000930T170000z

	//12.00-15.00 sa-su
	DTSTART:19000401T090000z
	RDATE;VALUE=PERIOD:19000101T120000Z/PT3M
	RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=SA,SU;UNTIL=19000930T170000z

	END:UNION

About Holidays:

Easter, and many non-western holidays, depend on the phase of the moon.
Either you could  get the moon phase from the calendar aplication by
defining
the rule part "BYMOON" 0-100 (where 100 is full)like this:

	SUMMARY;Easter
	RRULE;FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3,BYMONTHDAY=21,BYDAY=SU,BYMOON=100

Otherwise we need to reference some custom definition. I dont know how to do
that without defining a new programming language. The following example is
 meant merely as food for thought:-)

	BEGIN:REF
	NAME:moon
	//Full moon
	DTSTART:190000T000000z //enter some known full moon...
	RRULE;FREQ=SECONDLY;INTERVAL=2551443
	END:REF

	SUMMARY;Easter
	RRULE;FREQ=YEARLY;BYMONTH=3,BYMONTHDAY=21,BYDAY=SU,BYREF=moon

--Niklas

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:15:31 -0500

Greg, my thanks for Niklas.  These are exactly the kinds of things we need
to see on the list. Taking the examples and putting them into CAP
terminology and coding examples.  Perfect use of the list and a great way
to get discussion going.

"Greg FitzPatrick" <[email-masked]> on 03/16/99 07:22:32 AM

 To:      "'Ietf-Calendar@Imc. Org'" <[email-masked]>  
                                                              
 cc:      (bcc: Pat R Egen/Egen Consulting/01)                

 Subject: FW: opening times and holidays                      

Greg,

     DTSTART:19870405T020000z

     //9.00-17.00 mo-fr
     DTSTART:19000401T090000z

     //12.00-15.00 sa-su
     DTSTART:19000401T090000z

     END:UNION

About Holidays:

     SUMMARY;Easter

Otherwise we need to reference some custom definition. I dont know how to
do
that without defining a new programming language. The following example is
 meant merely as food for thought:-)

     BEGIN:REF
     NAME:moon
     //Full moon

     SUMMARY;Easter

--Niklas

---

From: "Frank Dawson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:31:20 -0500

On Wednesday, March 17, 1999 12:20 PM, John Stracke wrote, in part:

>Strawman: would it suffice to create an event (recurring, presumably) on my
>calendar that blocks off the non-schedulable hours? (It might need to have
some
>special priority property or something, to say, "Don't even think about
trying
>to conflict", or maybe it would be a special subtype of event.)

<snipped the non-vCard signature...hee, hee>

John:

I think the "opening times" that KilPatrick was suggesting is
meta-information about what is "schedulable" on the given calendar.
Certainly, the current iCalendar specification would allow you to introduce
"non-schedulable hours" as opaque events. We would have the problem with
systems that allow conflicting appointments/meetings to be scheduled. What
we really need is the "schedulable hours" property we have discussed in the
CAP discussions.

- - Frank