Subject: Re: IRIP version 4 (Part 2)

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:13:26 -0800 (PST)

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:09:29 GMT
> 
> >A trusted relationship between two IRIP servers means that one server
> >can queue transactions for the other server and deliver them some time
> >later. If IRIP server B trusts A, then A can queue requests for B. If A
> >does not trust B then B cannot accumulate requests for A.
> 
> Why cant there be a queue between non-trusted hosts?

I think it could be a security issue as there would not
be any way to trust who is asking for the data.

> This happens for stuff like SMTP mail so what is wrong w/it here?

Its not quite the same. In SMPT someone sent data to you and they
can decide if it should be secured.

With iRIP you ask for data and the replying side has no idea
how important the data might be to someone.

> Under 3.3 Bi-Directional Queue Operation:
> 
> Another example of why 2 servers may not be able to immediately establish a
> session is that the admin has configured some policy to prevent this.
> For example, in some European countries a modem connection may be long
> distance and they want to restrict these kinds of connections to being
> at night only.  As a result, the requests get queued until evening before
> being pass along; there may be no intermediate 3rd host.

Not the same issue. Then is just a disconnected host.

> Hmm, just what would prevent server katt.pcweek.com from authenticating to
> the server C.foobar.com and then doing DEQUEUE irip://B.foo.com/... and
> sucking down data that it should not have access to?

There is no such thing as an internet authentication entity.
If you don't trust them, take them out of your trusted host file.

> There seems to be no restriction or control over what CALID a sender
> can DEQUEUE to in the queueing model.  Am I missing something or did
> noone else notice this?

Only to the authenticated entity. Perhaps its not in the draft.

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL