Subject: Calendar security

From: Pat Egen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:10:53 -0500

Thought I'd post the following comment that appeared on another maillist
I use.  It talks about security of calendars across the web.

"By the way, has anyone talked about the security of WEB cals.      I
know that professional burglers watch the 'executive' pages of
newspapers to see when people are going to be out of town (i.e Joe Blow
won Million Dollar Award......off to Hawaii).    Acutally happened to a
person in our neighborhood in Phoenix who worked for a bank.     The
bank has since stopped publishing items of this nature."

---

From: "Simon Mackay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:06:47 +1100

This is a very interesting issue! It is similar to the vein of cheap "Hello"
and "Tattler" gossip rags publishing photos of people in the public
limelight that are taken in identifiable locations and valuable possessions
being in view of the camera. Criminals in aned out of prison then see the
valuables in the pictures and then plan to rob these houses. The UK police
had drawn attention to this problem in 1997 (from what I read of weekly
international editions of UK newspapers available in Oz) and advised people
in the public limelight to be aware of how press photography sessions are
set up..

With iCalendar "free-busy" applications, you attach to your vCard the URL of
your iCal file which is located on your Web server space. It is not
referenced by your home page in any form or another. If you put your vCard
on your home page or attach it to your personal signature and you intend to
use it with list services, you make one which has no reference to your iCal
file. Also, you make a signature which is used for correspondence with those
whom you trust. The vCard file has a reference for your iCal file. If you
subscribe to a list service whose membership is tightly controlled by the
moderator, for example the ex-cult-support list which now requires an
applicant to fill in a form about themselves before they are allowed to
subscribe, you can use the "trusteed" vCard signature..

This is an issue that will have to he discussed.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Pat Egen
Sent: Saturday, 13 March 1999 01:11
To: IETF Calendaring & Scheduling Mail List
Subject: Calendar security