Subject: Re: IRIP version 4 (Part 1) - Bounded latency

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:02:05 GMT

Doug replied (in part):
>> Under 2.3 Bounded Latency:
>>
>> [IRIP] is designed so that the Sender can either obtain an immediate
>> response from a request or discover within a known amount of time that
>> the request cannot be completed...
>>
>> Not quite.  "Cannot be" is very different from "has not yet been".  Be
>> careful w/absolutes like that since it may just be a server load issue,
>> etc.
>
>Three possabilities:
>
[Snip]
>I don't think the draft addresses that.

Missed my point.  Your current draft text is misleading.  It say:

...the Sender can either obtain an immediate
response from a request or discover within a known amount of time that
the request _cannot_be_ completed...

There is NO way discover if the request cannot be completed (ever) short of
waiting for infinity (or the receiver returns a "You ate to many resources"
error response).  However the sender can discover if the request will
complete in, say, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, etc.  Just change "cannot be
completed" to "has not yet completed" and all is fine.

Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:20:09 -0800

> completed" to "has not yet completed" and all is fine.

That was the spirit of the comment. I did not mean to imply that the request
can never be completed... only that it did not complete in the time you
specified.

that text has been fixed.

-Steve