Subject: RE: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

From: "Dan Hickman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:49:59 -0500

Bruce,

I hate to keep this thread going because it is really not that important,
but I just have to say that you are still missing the point.

Forget anything I have written before this point.

The question is...  "What do you call a recurring event that has a date type
of DATE instead of a date type of DATE-TIME".  Both are "repeating events",
but there is a difference.  Holidays (or Anniversaries) for instance
normally happen on a date and not at a specific time.  iTIP calls then
Anniversary type events.

I totally concede that Anniversary in the true meaning means yearly.  That
is not in question.

Dan
    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 3:33 PM
    To: Dan Hickman
    Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
    Subject: RE: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

    Dan responded:
    >No one is suggesting we use the term Anniversary to identify recurring
events.

    Then I misunderstood your text in the initial post:

    >If I have a recurring event set to occur every Wednesday at 1:00PM, is
it
    >legal to reschedule a specific occurrence to be an anniversary type
    >occurrence.

    and the follow up of:

    >An anniversary doesn't necessarily have to be a yearly event

    These indicate to me that you wanted to call your weekly (or any
repeating entry) an anniversary.  Hence my initial correction to
"FREQ=YEARLY" and the followups by others as well.

    Also when Pat wrote:

    >I agree with Dan that an anniversary does not have to be a yearly
event.

    I just had to ask, "Ok, what is an example of this?".  Pats response and
your followup text dont indicate you are looking for a term to use; they
were fairly clear in saying "Anniversaries are not just annual".  Now that
we have cleared that up on to terminology...

    As for what to call repeating entries that are not annual, why not just
call them "repeating entries"?  Why does some time span have to enter into
the generic discussion?  As noted before, we can use precise time span
indicators if you have a particular span in mind.

    Bruce

===========================================================================
    Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
    Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
    Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the
FAX...
    Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:32:40 -0400

events.

Then I misunderstood your text in the initial post:

>If I have a recurring event set to occur every Wednesday at 1:00PM, is it

>An anniversary doesn't necessarily have to be a yearly event

These indicate to me that you wanted to call your weekly (or any repeating 
entry) an anniversary.  Hence my initial correction to "FREQ=YEARLY" and 
the followups by others as well.

Also when Pat wrote:

>I agree with Dan that an anniversary does not have to be a yearly event.

Bruce
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...