Subject: Re: RFC2445 Property Change Control Request: Disallow Allow Multiple ATTENDEE Properties With The Same Value

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:31:11 GMT

Alex Taler wrote, in part:
>This change would preclude the ability to delegate your attendance to
>someone who is already listed as an ATTENDEE.  Is this a reasonable
>restriction?

Don't think that this is the case. The capability is not limited or
otherwise removed by this proposed change. An attendee that has been
delegated to will include the DELEGATED-FROM parameter with a parameter
value corresponding to the calendar address of the delegator. The
restriction is that the attendance and delegation will need to be specified
in one ATTENDEE property specification. The delegation is confirmed by an
update by the ORGANIZER anyway. The iCalendar/iTIP architecture has all
updates to a meeting specification routed through the ORGANIZER.

For example, if I receive a meeting invitation from Pat Egen which already
contains Alex Taler as an attendee, I can delegate my attendence to Alex. I
do this by forwarding the invitation to Alex and the ORGANIZER (i.e. Pat
Egen), after first adding the "DELEGATED-TO:[email-masked]" to my ATTENDEE
property specification and adding the "DELEGATED-FROM:[email-masked]" to
Alex's ATTENDEE property specification. Alex accepts/declines the
delegation by replying to both the delegator and the ORGANIZER.

The proposed change does not preclude delegating to an existing attendee.

-- Frank

---

From: Alexander Taler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:44:33 -0400

That makes sense.

Still, since it is not possible to have multiple "DELEGATED-FROM" 
parameters, two Attendees could not both delegate to the same 
Attendee.  Is this a resonable restriction  or should the "ATTENDEE"
property be allowed to contain multiple "DELEGATED-FROM" parameters?

Alex