Subject: Re: Comments on draft-many-ical-xmldoc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:38:58 GMT

>Or elements that currently contain PCDATA (e.g., <summary>) could
>contain ANY, so that the text could be formatted with XHTML.

<fd>XML v1.0 allows CDATA section in any PCDATA content information. As is
specified in the iCalendar XML DTD spec, this is how to provide formatting
of text content.</fd>

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:06:46 +0000

> specified in the iCalendar XML DTD spec, this is how to provide formatting

But CDATA is just text, with no structure.  You *could* write something like
<![CDATA[<foo/>]]>, but it'd be exactly equivalent to &lt;foo/&gt;.  You
could declare that the application should take that <foo/> and parse it as
XML, but then you're essentially doing the same thing as ANY (and probably
less efficiently, since you'll have to fire up a separate parser session).
It's cleaner to fess up and admit that you've got an ANY.

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/