Subject: RE: Recurrence ID changes?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:05:15 -0400

Frank wrote:
>The response to the REFRESH for the whole recurrence set
>could be the initial REQUEST, followed by the reschedule
>REQUEST, in a multipart/related container. Right? 

Actually I dont think so.   Why would you send 2 entries, the "original" 
and the "update"??  Aren't all messages supposed to be 'full snapshots'? 
If so, only the 'current ' state needs to be sent.  Hence, if the SEQUENCE 
was 'stale' then the Organizer would send a new full snapshot in a single 
message; not a 'base' and then the most recent 'delta' (as that wont 
suffice at all).

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: "Dan Hickman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:34:21 -0500

If all changes could be rolled into a single instance, then I agree.  For
instance, if only the date-time changed then addition of an EXDATE and RDATE
properties to the original component would suffice.

However, as soon as you change anything else about an individual occurrence
(i.e. Subject, Attendees, Categories,etc) then this cannot be represented in
a single component.  One component must be sent for the original event
definition and another component would have to be sent with the individual
RECURRENCE-ID changes.

Dan
    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 2:05 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
    Subject: RE: Recurrence ID changes?

    Actually I dont think so.   Why would you send 2 entries, the "original"
and the "update"??  Aren't all messages supposed to be 'full snapshots'?  If
so, only the 'current ' state needs to be sent.  Hence, if the SEQUENCE was
'stale' then the Organizer would send a new full snapshot in a single
message; not a 'base' and then the most recent 'delta' (as that wont suffice
at all).

    Bruce

    Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the
FAX...

---

From: Alexander Taler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:44:45 -0400

You can send these changes using two VEVENT components, inside
a single VCALENDAR component, contained in a single MIME part.
I think that this is the correct way to respond to a REFRESH.  
(I think this was also what Bruce meant.)

We are faced with a familiar problem, we have three ways to
send multiple VEVENTs (single VCALENDAR, multiple VCALENDAR 
with single MIME message, multiple MIME messages) and we 
should choose one to improve interoperability.  I prefer
the first, because the related information passes through
several software levels (mail agent and MIME parser) 
together and doesn't have to be reassembled at the end.

Alex

Dan Hickman wrote:
> 
> If all changes could be rolled into a single instance, then I agree.  For instance, if only the date-time changed then addition of an EXDATE and RDATE properties to the original component would suffice.
> 
> However, as soon as you change anything else about an individual occurrence (i.e. Subject, Attendees, Categories,etc) then this cannot be represented in a single component.  One component must be sent for the original event definition and another component would have to be sent with the individual RECURRENCE-ID changes.
> 
> Dan
> 
>      Actually I dont think so.   Why would you send 2 entries, the "original" and the "update"??  Aren't all messages supposed to be 'full snapshots'?  If so, only the 'current ' state needs to be sent.  Hence, if the SEQUENCE was 'stale' then the Organizer would send a new full snapshot in a single message; not a 'base' and then the most recent 'delta' (as that wont suffice at all).
> 
>      Bruce