Subject: sql select (was: IETF Oslo minutes)

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:44:31 +0200

The minutes says

> (...) Another
> suggestion was made that the grammar should either be just like SQL or
> grossly different so as not to lend any ambiguity or confusion to the
> interpretation of the grammar.

I think that was me.  Note that the change might be trivial, it just
needs to look noticeably different from SQL SELECT.  E.g. rename
"SELECT" to a synonym like "CHOOSE".
If anyone agrees with this point at all, of course:-)

-- 
Regards,
Hallvard

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:01:48 GMT

A counter argument is that "SELECT" is a name with well accepted semantics.
By changing the names we are artifically introducing new terminology for
already accepted semantics and terms. Why? The argument that this is too
confusing with SQL terms doesn't seem very strong to me. For example, with
that logic we shouldn't use terms like GET because it conflicts with the
HTTP terms.
Not sure that this makes sense to change the terms.

-- Frank