Subject: RE: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:35:26 -0400

Frank replied with:
>Yes, you are correct in your interpretation. Similarly, a 
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:19990730 means "-T000000" to "-T235959". 

Pardon me but I think you guys are making a big assumption when you say 
that; you are assuming no DTEND is specified!  (You didnt make that 
_exact_ statement but the above quote implies it.)  Please note that the 
value of DTSTART (or DTEND) is _NEVER_ a PERIOD; a period can be inferred ONLY from the rest of the context of 
the entry it appears in.

There are 2 legal ways to achieve what Frank scribed above

DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:19990730
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:19990730

or a single DTSTART in the entry:

DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:19990730

Yes, this is kind of what Frank said BUT I think we need to be very clear: 
VALUE=DATE is not exactly the same as a VALUE=PERIOD as his text could be 
read to infer.

(These examples can be confirmed by the RFC text previously quoted but 
possibly overlooked:

If such a "VEVENT" has a "DTEND" property, it
  MUST be specified as a DATE value also.

and

For
  cases where a "VEVENT" calendar component specifies a "DTSTART"
  property with a DATE data type but no "DTEND" property, the events
  non-inclusive end is the end of the calendar date specified by the
  "DTSTART" property.

Be careful when making possibly out of context statements like the quoted 
one at top...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: "Dan Hickman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:11:32 -0500

Bruce... Chill...

I was only talking in the context of free busy time when I said that all-day
refers to a period of time.

DATE means no time (all day long).

DATE-TIME means a specific time.

Please let's drop this, it is getting rediculous.

Dan
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
  Sent: Friday, July 30, 1999 3:35 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Cc: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

  Pardon me but I think you guys are making a big assumption when you say
that; you are assuming no DTEND is specified!  (You didnt make that _exact_
statement but the above quote implies it.)  Please note that the value of
DTSTART (or DTEND) is _NEVER_ a PERIOD; a period can be inferred ONLY from
the rest of the context of the entry it appears in.

  and

  For

  Bruce