Subject: Re: CAP Transport -- Issue Resolved? Renamed "Issues Document"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:30:19 GMT

Alex Taler wrote, in part:

>It would be nice to have updates of open issues more often than CAP
>drafts will be posted.  I would also like to keep the resolutions of
>issues, to make it easier to reference previous discussions when
>issues resurface, as they inevitably do.

Good points. A separate issues document seems to make sense.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:14:33 GMT

I agree here with Alex.  As I said before, Doug has an idea about 
something to keep track of issues.  I'd like to hear his input on this 
first.  Thanks for offering to do this Frank - however, I agree we want to 
keep it on the list rather than on the draft.

Alexander Taler <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
07/23/99 12:18 PM
Please respond to alext

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        Re: CAP Transport -- Issue Resolved? Renamed "Issues Document"

Alex

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> We did this in the RFC2445/2446/2447 activities with an "Issues 
Document"
> corresponding to each document. To minimize documents, I suggest that we
> include a section at the end of the draft that keeps track of these. As 
an
> editor for the CAP document, I would support assisting in the 
maintenance
> of such a section. Okay?
> -- Frank

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:42:27 GMT

Richard, yes it can.  However, the listserv model is more frequently used 
by the IETF and if we can keep this kind of thing on this mailing list it 
would be more visable and would more comfortable to IETF members.

[email-masked] (Richard Shusterman)
Sent by: [email-masked]
07/23/99 03:04 PM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: CAP Transport -- Issue Resolved? Renamed "Issues Document"

Isn't Notes good for this sort of stuff, i.e., keeping threads of 
discussion and
allowing previous discussions to be searched? Can someone host this on 
their
Notes server?

Document"
> > include a section at the end of the draft that keeps track of these. 
As an
maintenance

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:04:25 -0700
> From: [email-masked] (Richard Shusterman)
> 
> Isn't Notes good for this sort of stuff, i.e., keeping threads of discussion
> and allowing previous discussions to be searched? Can someone host this on
> their Notes server?

If you mean a product called 'Notes' - NO.

Text so everyone can read it.

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
Pager:				[email-masked]
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:56:11 -0400

discussion and
>allowing previous discussions to be searched? 

Yes it is.  However , most (all??) IETF WG mailing lists are not hosted on 
Notes servers so you are out of luck (I dont think IMC runs a Notes 
server).

>Can someone host this on their
>Notes server?

Someone _could_ but its bad form to hijack a WG list to do this.  I keep 
my own private archive (threaded and all) of this WG and would consider 
making it accessible to the WG as an OPTIONAL, ALTERNATE archive if there was enough interest.  My copy goes back to ~7/25/1996 so 
it may not be 100% complete but it gets the job done for me. 

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WOULD I EVEN CONSIDER HOSTING THE CALSCHED WG ON MY 
SERVERS HERE; IMC is already host it for us and doing a very nice job at 
that.   If you want better threading then poke Paul H. to get better 
indexing/threading software on the archive... :^)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:27:37 -0400

>Text so everyone can read it.

Upfront disclaimer: I work for Iris Associates and we develop Lotus Notes for Lotus. However 
the views expressed here are strictly my own and if you dont like 'em then 
thats up to you...

Just want to clarify something about the product formerly known as Notes 
(now mostly called Domino :^}), the contents are in a text format that 
everyone can read.  You can read this email from me just fine I bet. Notes 
will also store richer content than plain ASCII and provide it as MIME 
data you can do lots of things with it like "full text" index it, thread 
discussions, etc.

However, I am NOT, repeat NOT, proposing we change this WG's mailing list over to it!!!  I just wanted 
to clarify a possible misperception that Doug seemed to express.    (Notes 
"does" text just fine thank you!  It can also do MHTML, HTML, XML, etc.). 
To show that it works just fine for any client, take a gander at 
http://www.iris.com/web/CalSched.nsf and selected the Threaded view.  This 
is a temporary URL so dont expect this link to last indefinitely; I just created it to 
demonstrate a point...

Bruce

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:14:49 GMT

I had answered before that we should leave this on a mail list format. So, 
I think we can end the Notes discussion (and this is coming from a Notes 
bigot). Doug, Bruce is correct - it's text.  However, we need to stay in 
the same format as the other IETF mailing lists.  Keeping track of drafts, 
etc. is another thing.  But mail - IETF maillists are the way to go.

Bruce_Kahn
Sent by: Bruce Kahn
07/26/99 04:27 PM

        To:     Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: CAP Transport -- Issue Resolved? Renamed "Issues Document"

However, I am NOT, repeat NOT, proposing we change this WG's mailing list over to it!!!  I just wanted 
to clarify a possible misperception that Doug seemed to express.    (Notes 
"does" text just fine thank you!  It can also do MHTML, HTML, XML, etc.). 
To show that it works just fine for any client, take a gander at http://www.iris.com/web/CalSched.nsf and selected the Threaded view.  This is a temporary URL so dont expect this link to last indefinitely; I just created it to 
demonstrate a point... 

Bruce