Subject: SKI Presentation in Oslo

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:11:10 -0700 (PDT)

For those not in Olso, Greg FitzPatrick ([email-masked]) gave us a
presentation about the needs of the 'SKI' project.  (See email in WG
archive for details.  'Opening times' and 'Swedish Request', 'CAP
Requirements?', 'opening times and holidays').

After talking to Greg after the 1st CALSCH Oslo meeting, I think that
iCalendar can already solve all except one of his problems.  And that
problem is what Greg calls a scheduled event.

A scheduled event is an event is known but the exact date/time is not
yet known.  The idea is that when a CUA was viewing a calendar in
addition to the VEVENTS, a list could be shown to the CU with
upcoming but not yet scheduled events. (As in "Coming this summer
a tour of ...").

This will not work with any iTIP METHODS as DTSTART is required for
VEVENTs and VTODOs.  It looks to me if Greg needs a new component
type.  I'll call it a VTENTATIVE.  It would look much like a VEVENT,
and with its definition it would have to include iTIP restriction
tables like in RFC2446 (iTIP) for each iTIP METHOD.

I have no idea what WG support there is for this idea.  I just have
noticed that others felt that we did not discuss many ideas that were
submitted to the WG list.  And I wished to address this issue on the
WG list.

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://playground.sun.com/~dougr
Pager:				[email-masked]
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:39:42 GMT

Doug:
Good summary of what I thought Greg FitzPatrick/SKICal were looking for in 
an "unscheduled event" also.
There are some more requirements that need to be worked out on this. Maybe 
Greg and SKICal team can comment/provide contributions. For example, what 
properties are needed for these kinds of "events"? Are these something 
that would appear on a "Planner" view of the calendar store or the 
"Calendar" view? If the latter, then we probably want to look at modifying 
the RFC2426 restriction tables for VEVENT, rather than a new component. 
Can we get by with keeping these as VEVENTs that have a DTSTART/DTEND, but 
a special priority and category for these "unscheduled events".
-- Frank