Subject: Re: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:51:00 -0400

Pat asked:
>Ok then, if a "not really annual" event is not an "anniversary" what do 
we call it so that it makes sense to anyone trying to implement the 
protocol. 

Well, if its my monthly Red Cross meeting, Id say its a "monthly" entry. 
If its local retailers semi-annual sale, its "semi-annual".   Some 
publications are bi-monthly so Id label 'em as "bi-monthly".  (There is a 
pattern forming but not enough caffinee yet today to complete it; I leave 
it as an exercise to the readers.)

If its not "annual" then its not an anniversary (technically; split your 
own hairs!).  There are already terms for other frequencies that we all 
know and use so why not use them?!?!?

FMI: Would you really want to call your weekly team status meeting an 
anniversary!??!?! (semi :^b)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: "Dan Hickman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:12:45 -0500

Bruce,

I think you are missing the point.  No one is suggesting we use the term
Anniversary to identify recurring events.  The question is how do we term
events whose occurrences are date-only values (like Anniversaries usually
are) and not date-time values.  iTIP refers to these as Anniversaries.  This
has been the consistent term for them since the subject first came up.  It
works for me unless you have another suggestion.

Regards,
Dan
    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 8:51 AM
    To: [email-masked]
    Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
    Subject: Re: Recurring Anniversary Instances?

    Well, if its my monthly Red Cross meeting, Id say its a "monthly" entry.
If its local retailers semi-annual sale, its "semi-annual".   Some
publications are bi-monthly so Id label 'em as "bi-monthly".  (There is a
pattern forming but not enough caffinee yet today to complete it; I leave it
as an exercise to the readers.)

    If its not "annual" then its not an anniversary (technically; split your
own hairs!).  There are already terms for other frequencies that we all know
and use so why not use them?!?!?

    Bruce

    Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the
FAX...