Subject: global tzid?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:21:36 -0400

I've been looking through the calsch threads on the possibility of using some
kind of globally defined TZID in a VTIMEZONE. Where does the group currently
stand on this issue? Are we waiting for the tz registry to be set up?

Steve Vangasse
Software Engineer
meetingmaker
http://www.meetingmaker.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 08:36:40 -0700

we'd love to have one. I keep hearing rumors that it's an easy thing to do. It
would be great if someone would step up and do it.
-Steve

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:18:25 -0400

I thought we'd agreed on using a vendor ID to guarantee uniqueness
of the TZIDs. In libical (and hence Evolution) we use TZIDs like this:

TZID:/softwarestudio.org/Olson_20010601_1/Africa/Dakar

The "/softwarestudio.org/" is supposed to be a unique vendor ID, and the
rest of the TZID is up the the vendor.

Then that TZID uniquely identifies a specific VTIMEZONE component, and
any uses of that TZID must refer to that *exact* VTIMEZONE component.

Damon

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:27:35 -0700

will softwarestudio.org also be the timezone authority, publish the "standard"
timezones, and keep them up-to-date?
-Steve

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:41:54 -0400

You want to have a standard set of VTIMEZONE data? (Based on the Olson timezone
data, I assume.)

I'd be happy if my VTIMEZONE convertor (at http://primates.ximian.com/~damon/icalendar/)
became the basis of this.

In which case we could change the Vendor ID to /ietf.org/

Damon

---

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:46:17 -0700 (PDT)

> timezones, and keep them up-to-date?

The proposal that Damon is refering to is that the SOLIDUS indicates that
the sender of the component guarantees that the TZID refers on only one
VTIMEZONE data. The proposal is in the message:

	http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg01655.html

If the sender uses TZIDs that come from a database that includes the
vendor's name in the TZID, then the vendor is the authority for its own
TZIDS.

That is, in Damon's example, softwarestudio.org is the authority only for
TZIDs that begin with /softwarestudio.org/. Other implementations should
play nice and not create Timezone databases with TZIDs that begin with
/softwarestudio.org/

eric.