Subject: Re: BEEP Protocol and Internationalization: Interim meeting?

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:19:05 -0400

Small typo:

>So, would people be open to an interim meeting on the east coast 
>someplace, in an early October November time frame?  I can probably 
>get space at MIT without difficulty, if that is acceptable.

Sorry, the intended date was "early October"

-Bob

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:13:05 -0400

Folks-

We've been asked to look at two issues by our Area Directors.

1) Internationalization is becoming increasingly high-profile, and it 
is *not* an optional concern for us.  In depth conversations between 
Patrik and the Kerberos WG indicates there are issues we have yet to 
deal with.

The guess is that we have some work to do for this.

2) Ned attended our meeting in London, and after a detailed reading 
of the CAP draft, suggested (with reluctance given the late date) 
that we look closer at the BEEP work.  He suggested we consider using 
BEEP, or perhaps just move some of our overhead down into the 
"payload", to simplify a future conversion to BEEP.

Casual conversations in London indicate that we may be able to deal 
with this quickly, given the right folks focusing on it for a short 
time.

We asked Patrik and Ned if they would object to an interim meeting to 
focus on these two points, and they were fine with that.

Please let us know.

-Bob

Some drafts to read:

BEEP

Mapping the BEEP Core onto TCP (RFC 3081)  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3081.txt
The Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol Core (RFC 3080) 
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3080.txt

IDN

Internationalizing Host Names In Applications (IDNA) 
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-idna-03.txt