Subject: CAP: cancelling authentication

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:33:37 -0400

CAP section 7.1.3 mentions that what happens if the authentication 
process is cancelled during its negotiation is implementation-specific; 
I'm afraid this might lead to a lack of interop. A little further down, 
it mentions that the CUA may not (I believe it should be MUST NOT) 
reissue AUTHENTICATE, even if the first attempt was aborted; if the CUA 
attempts to do so, the CS must (MUST?) terminate the session.

I believe this can be simplified simply by requiring the CS to drop the 
connection immediately if the AUTHENTICATE is cancelled. Since no 
further AUTHENTICATE can be issued, that connection cannot be used 
again; keeping it open has no value.

-- 
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Anyone who has a conditioned response        |
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>|immediately thinks of Pavlov.                |
\==============================================================/

---

From: Lawrence Greenfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:02:30 -0400

Note that most other SASL protocols support cancelling authentication
and retrying in the same session.  I don't think it makes a big deal
either way.

I agree it makes sense for the connection to be closed immediately if
authentication can't be reattempted.

Larry

   Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:33:37 -0400
   From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
   Organization: eCal Corporation

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:37:09 -0400

Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

>and retrying in the same session.
>
If it can be done, then, yes, I agree that's probably a bit better.  It 
just needs to be defined how.

-- 
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"You gotta learn to dance before you learn to|
[email-masked]|crawl!" -- Meatloaf, "Everything Louder than |
|                |Everything Else"                             |
\==============================================================/

---

From: "David L. Nicol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:49:30 -0500

> just needs to be defined how.

One _successful_ authentication event.