Subject: The iCalendar XML DTD

From: "Leveille,Peter S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:50:05 -0700

I have found the IETF internet draft dated December 4, 1998 for the
iCalendar XML DTD.  Is there a more recent copy of this material?

Thanks,
-Pete

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:22:37 -0400

>iCalendar XML DTD.  Is there a more recent copy of this material?
No, it was abandoned, on the grounds that it'd be counterproductive to 
have two different formats.

-- 
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Simply vanished--like an old oak table." --Lord|
[email-masked]|Percy, _Black Adder II_                         |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Alan Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:38:38 -0400

A (slightly) more recent version was written by Dawson, Reddy, and
Royer. iPlanet appears to use it in their server, and has a
copy of the (expired) draft here on their website (unfortunately
it suffers from formatting problems, I can mail a cleaned up
version on request to anyone who's interested):

http://developer.iplanet.com/docs/wpapers/calendar/ietf.txt

Several different vendors use xml representations of iCalendar,
and this draft will be resurrected and completed/corrected in the
future to standardise them.

--Alan

---

From: "David King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:20:08 -0400

I also brought up a similar question when I first started looking at
iCalendar.  My research led me to the RDF Calendar taskforce.  Have a look:
http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/04/calendar/

-David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Leveille,Peter S.
> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 12:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: The iCalendar XML DTD
>
>
>

---

From: Gary Frederick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:34:28 -0500

I would like a cleaned up copy of the iPlanet DTD. Thanks...

I recently modified the libical library to output XML. No DTD, the XML 
looks like the iCalendar 'objects'. It should be easy to translate my 
output to whatever standard if one is picked.

I don't think it's necessary to have an iCalendar XML DTD. The iCalendar 
standard exists and is used by lots of software. If XML were used 
instead of the current iCalendar format, the world would be a better 
place... but it was not. :-)

If people use XML and publish their formats, others can interface.

I love getting 'iCalendar' in XML. We have XSL stylesheets that are easy 
for non-developers to modify.

I am marginal about suffering thru the process of coming up with a 
standard DTD. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

  ---

and I plan on looking at the RDF Calendar taskforce info David King 
pointed out (thanks!)

and I would be interested in talking with others that are using XML with 
iCalendar (off list???)

Gary

---

From: Alan Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:58:17 -0400

I found what appears to be another (also expired, but seemingly
slightly newer- the version number is 01) version of this draft here:

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-many-ical-xmldoc-01.txt

I also found a few places that make reference to draft-many-ical-xmldoc-02,
which has also expired, if it was ever submitted. Does a copy
of this still exist anywhere?

--Alan

At 12:34 PM 16/08/2001 -0500, Gary Frederick wrote:
>standard exists and is used by lots of software. If XML were used instead 
>of the current iCalendar format, the world would be a better place... but 
>it was not. :-)
>