Subject: Re: CALSCH meeting minutes - London

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:21:11 -0400

John, thanks for the clarification. If anyone else sees items on the 
minutes that are "off a bit" please respond to the list.

John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
08/22/01 10:18 AM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        Re: CALSCH meeting minutes - London

[email-masked] wrote:

> Greg said it would be helpful to have a language property (like lang) 
> added to iCalendar.  He said it could be called lang - John objected 
> to this idea.
>
> John objected because it was a French word. This was inconsistent with 
> all the other names which are all in English.

Clarification: this discussion didn't happen in the meeting; it was 
referenced in the meeting.

There was an old SkiCal proposal (over a year ago) for a property called 
LANGUE for "what languages are required to understand this event".  At 
the time I objected (and Greg agreed) that it was problematic for 
developers whose native language is neither English nor French, because 
they'd have trouble keeping straight two very similar foreign words 
(LANGUE and LANGUAGE).  At the meeting, Greg said it would be a useful 
property, with a better name (I agree), and mentioned the old discussion 
by way of pointing out that it had come up before.

-- 
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Sometimes we in the media have to give the    |
[email-masked]|copycat criminals a little kick-start." -- Tina|
|                |the Tech Writer, in _Dilbert_                  |
\================================================================/