Subject: Re: How does each standard "fit" together

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:07:26 -0400

> That is - with the adoption of BEEB for CAP -

That's BEEP.

> how does/does not this impact
> iTIP, iMIP, iRIP, iCAL, CAP, MIME or any other standards that are 
employed
> in the proposals of this working group?

It obviously does not impact iTIP, iMIP, iCalendar, or MIME at all.  iRIP 
is dead, replaced by CRISP.  Its impact on CAP (and CRISP) is obvious, 
because it's CAP that will be modified.

John Stracke
Principal Engineer
Incentive Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:38:41 -0500

John,

Thanks for correcting my typo re BEEP.

Well I guess my concern is if migrating CAP to use BEEP requires any
changes/additions to the data structures that we require (to handle
something security related?) - then it would impact the other standards -
does anyone here understand what is involved in substituting BEEP for the
current transport sections of CAP enough to check for this type of issue?

Also, I suspect - but have not yet confirmed - that there may need to be
minor changes to some of the discussions in the other standards about how
CAP works with the various standards - perhaps not if the substitution of
BEEP does not alter anything fundamental about how CAP will work.

In any case this change to CAP may impact documents such as the Guide to
Internet Calendaring.

Just thinking we should take a careful luck to see if there are any
unforeseen places that are impacted (which may also point out sections that
perhaps should be modified in the various documents)

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John Stracke
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 9:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How does each standard "fit" together

That's BEEP.

employed

John Stracke
Principal Engineer
Incentive Systems, Inc.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:07:57 -0600

> current transport sections of CAP enough to check for this type of issue?

We went to great pains to separate the transport from the objects.
Any changes we may find as a result of going to BEEP are probably
bugs we have not yet found.

> BEEP does not alter anything fundamental about how CAP will work.

CAP writes directly to the store + it can handle iTIP methods.
BEEP is just the transport. NOTHONG in iTIP, iMIP, or iCalendar
needs to change as a result of going to BEEP.