Subject: Specifying RRULE UNTIL parameter for events using DATE or floating times

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 2001 21:04:14 -0400

The spec states that if an RRULE UNTIL parameter is specified as a
DATE-TIME value, then it must be in UTC.

However, what happens if the event's DTSTART is a floating time?
How can you specify the last occurrence as a UTC time when the
time of the occurrence changes depending on what timezone you are in?

(I'm not totally sure I understand how DATE values and floating
values are supposed to work, btw.)

Damon

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:25:11 -0600

UNTIL means repeat until that date/time. So if you say repeat
this floating appointment UNTIL 20011225T000000Z, then it will not
and MUST NOT repeat after Dec 25th 2001 at 00:00:00 UTC. That is the
purpose and reason for UNTIL.

Are you sure you don't want DTEND or DURATION?

-Doug

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Oct 2001 21:00:29 -0400

The problem is that if you have a floating event, then setting the UNTIL
time as a UTC time means that you may get a different number of
occurrences, depending upon which timezone the floating time is
'resolved' in.

The user probably wants to say something like 'the last occurence is at
3PM on 25th Jan (in whatever timezone I am in - these are floating
times)', but that is impossible using a UTC UNTIL DATE-TIME.

Damon

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:58:07 -0600

> occurrences, depending upon which timezone the floating time
> is 'resolved' in.

Well, as everyone knows 'Christmas' is in local time.
So if you say repeat Christmas every 25th local time 
until Dec 25 2001 UTC then yes, but then that is what
you told it to do.

If you say repeat yearly every dec 25th Christmas local time until
Dec 31 2001 UTC, then no.

> The user probably wants to say something like 'the last occurence is 
> at 3PM on 25th Jan (in whatever timezone I am in - these are floating 

Then don't use it for that :-)