Subject: Discussion on Calendaring in other forums

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:24:51 -0500

Just to bring it to the attention of this group:

There is a discussion of Calendaring (and scheduling) going on at Slashdot
today, sparked by a donation of code to the Mozilla project.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/26/141247&mode=nested

A handful of interesting points -

1 - among a fairly highly technical audience there is considerable lack of
awareness of CALSCH and the standards we are pursuing - only minor mentions
of "iCal import" as a feature

2 - considerable variation in this audience as to what they are looking for
in a Calendaring product - one common theme does appear to be a simple one
to use and deploy - vs. "bloatware" as they put it.

Thought it would be a useful discussion for people here to take a look at -
it is easy to forget that the standards we are working on have to be able to
solve real user's real problems if they will ever be adopted and employed by
the users, software developers, and vendors.

Shannon

Shannon J. Clark
JigZaw, Inc
1.800.4.JIGZAW (454.4929)
[email-masked]
www.jigzaw.com

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:04:32 -0600

"Shannon J. Clark" wrote:
> ...

> to use and deploy - vs. "bloatware" as they put it.

Most people think only calendaring. The scheduling and interacting
with others makes it bloat. I'll bet if they want scheduling, it
get BIG.