Subject: Re: iCalendar - "octets" question

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:14:19 -0500

>> I think this complicates the story for senders; they need to split
lines
>> at the 75-octet mark, but the code that splits the lines only sees
>> characters, not octets.  You said that splitting lines was only for
>> presentation (does anybody disagree?); if so, we can change "75 octets"
to
>> "75 characters".
>
>I think that 2445 says it right.  Split BETWEEN characters always so
>that the line is not  longer than 72 octets.

Why? Characters (human legibility) are what matter for presentation, not
octets.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer               |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.          |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.          |
|=================================================================|
|"Lollygaggers will be shot on sight!" "I didn't say that!" "I was|
|paraphrasing."                                                   |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:04:53 -0700

> Why? Characters (human legibility) are what matter for presentation, not

For iMIP and sending  via email. But you don't have to do it.