Subject: CAP: Calendar Adresses vs CAP URIs

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:50:27 -0500

In my opinion, it should be possible to use CAP URIs for
more than just calendar addresses. CAP URIs could eventually
be used to designate calendar stores, calendars, components,
properties, and search operations on Internet hosts accessible
using the CAP protocol.  Have a look at the LDAP URL Format
[RFC 2255] for an example of another application protocol's
URI format.

Section 2.6 of the current draft states that "Calendar
Addresses are URIs", and specifies a syntax that would
consider a <relativeCALID> alone as a valid CAP URI.

Although a <relativeCALID> alone could constitute a
valid "relative CAP URI", it could not be considered
as an "absolute CAP URI" (absoluteURI must contains
the name of the scheme being used) [RFC 2396].

CAP should only specify that calendar addresses can
be specified as both relative or absolute CAP URIs,
and CAP URIs could be specified in another section,
or in a separate document altogether.

With fanout left out, are there still cases where an
absolute CAP URI is required to specify a calendar
address?

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:02:54 -0700

> or in a separate document altogether.

The problems is that there needs to be a way to say 'I mean local
to the CS only' and we called that a relative URI.

> absolute CAP URI is required to specify a calendar

YES !

How else can I specify a CS other than my default?

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:21:30 -0500

> to the CS only' and we called that a relative URI.

I understand that.  I simply want section 2.6
to be changed so it becomes clear that:

   Calendar address -> Relative CAP URI |
                       Absolute CAP URI

and NOT that:

   CAP URI -> Calendar address

Regards,
Bernard

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:23:04 -0700

>    CAP URI -> Calendar address

Oh, yep great idea :-)