Subject: Re: CAP Draft 6 comments

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:32:08 -0500

>The move command is too important to be left out.

I'm not sure.  It's *useful*, but it's not *essential*.  You can always do 
a get, put, delete.  And, since we do arbitrary queries, you can do all 
that in two round trips, even if you're moving multiple components, so you 
can fill the TCP pipe and blast the data straight through.

CAP would certainly be less efficient without MOVE, but that's better than 
hurrying and getting the ACLs wrong.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer               |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.          |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.          |
|=================================================================|
|I imagine the wages of sin *are* death, but by the time they take|
|taxes out it's just sort of a tired feeling. --Paula Poundstone  |
\=================================================================/

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:44:39 -0500

> hurrying and getting the ACLs wrong.

But how does the "get, put, delete" help us getting the
ACLs right?

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Recherche et développement              Tél.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:48:20 -0700

> But how does the "get, put, delete" help us getting the

Because the USER and the CUA can evaluate them, and it
is not evaluated by the CS which can only guess and may
get them wrong. At least the CU and CUA can show the
issues to the user and get user input.

AND - even if the MOVE command is in CAP. The CUA
can still get, put, delete and do what it wants anyway.