Subject: Re: CAP Draft 6 comments

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:15:15 -0500

>>                 What if the new parent GRANTS all to everyone?
>>                 And you did not know it?
>> 
>
>  "did not know it?" that is a poor excuse. The only thing a 
>protocol can do is to provide the mean to obtain the information
>and the "search" command does.

I disagree.  The protocol can, and must, make sure that the default 
behavior is safe.  We haven't yet figured out how to do that.

/=======================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.|
|=======================================================|
|I'm not imaginary. I'm ontologically challenged.       |
\=======================================================/

---

From: Patrice Lapierre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:57:22 -0500

> behavior is safe.  We haven't yet figured out how to do that.

  Ok, I'm finally getting some of your points. Using a 
a "search" on VCARs and making the proper adjustments to 
the VCARs before and/or after a "move" on a VAGENDA is 
complex and may not be performed correctly by all CUAs.

  In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to address the 
root of the problem, and explore Doug's suggestion to simplify 
the access rights model, rather that removing all conflicting 
features.

--
Patrice.