Subject: Re: Question on calstore current time.

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:11:38 -0500

>> >         (c) CS Never processes VALARMs.
>> 
>> This is valid, and simple.
>
>Would ALL CUA's send alarms 

Er.  Good point.

>> >  ...      (d) CS Only process the tagged VALARMs.
>> 
>> This might be a good approach; then the CUA can say, "please handle 
this
>> VALARM when it goes off", and the CS can say, "I can't handle audio
>> alarms, you dope.".
>
>We would need a new property / parameter in VALARM for this to work.

True.  Not a big deal.

We might also be able to generalize the property to be a "who will send 
this alarm?" marker.  Off the top of my head...call the property "SENDER"; 
it's a UID; the UID "CS" would mean the CS; each CUA would have a UID that 
means itself; when a CU wants to tell their current CUA to send the alarm, 
it sets SENDER to its UID.  Or perhaps SENDERS, a list of UIDs, if we 
think it'd be useful to have multiple CUAs send the alarm (might be more 
practical to have multiple alarms, though).

This would solve the problem you raised about (c), because there will 
always be types of alarms that the CS doesn't handle, and you probably 
don't want all your CUAs processing all of them.  (On the other hand, for 
most people, that may not be too much of a problem; most users have no 
more than 2 CUAs, desktop and PDA, if that.  80/20 rule?)

/=======================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.|
|=======================================================|
|This space intentionally left blank.                   |
\=======================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:18:05 -0700

> practical to have multiple alarms, though).

We need to stop overloading 'UID'. I mean do we really NEED
to have the value of this tag Unique in the World for each
entry (else it's not unique)? How about just a URI? It does
not matter what it is, as long as the CUA and CS know if it is
them. For a CS, the URI is its own RELCALID. If it's not its own ID,
then the CS does not care who it is - it's just stored.

> more than 2 CUAs, desktop and PDA, if that.  80/20 rule?)

Do we need a CS (or CAL) property that identifies which types
the CS supports?

(BTW: After I got my system up, Royer.com's upstream provider died,
then it took Verison 5 Days to fix it! So I am now alive and
well - living in the snowy Snake River Valley).