Subject: Re: Question on calstore current time.

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:44:18 -0500

>> We might also be able to generalize the property to be a "who will send
>> this alarm?" marker.  Off the top of my head...call the property 
"SENDER";
>> it's a UID; the UID "CS" would mean the CS; each CUA would have a UID 
that
>> means itself; when a CU wants to tell their current CUA to send the 
alarm,
>> it sets SENDER to its UID.  Or perhaps SENDERS, a list of UIDs, if we
>> think it'd be useful to have multiple CUAs send the alarm (might be 
more
>> practical to have multiple alarms, though).
>
>We need to stop overloading 'UID'. I mean do we really NEED
>to have the value of this tag Unique in the World for each
>entry (else it's not unique)?

Uh...yes, I think we do.  Otherwise, how do you keep two CUAs from picking 
the same one?

Remember, in this case, "two CUAs" might mean the same software installed 
on two different machines, or different software on the same machine, or, 
conceivably, even two different user profiles of the same software on the 
same machine.  Using a UID to identify it may be overkill, but it means 
that we don't have to figure out how unique we need to be.

>Do we need a CS (or CAL) property that identifies which types
>the CS supports?

Maybe.  I'm inclined to punt it, though, because the only standard type 
that makes sense on the CS at this point is email.  Given the existence of 
procedure alarms, it could become a hard problem--we'd have to distinguish 
between subtypes of procedure alarms that the CS can support and those 
that it can't.  The "ask and you shall be refused" approach has the virtue 
that the CS can decide on an ad hoc basis.

Maybe there should be a way to ask the CS whether a given alarm would be 
supported, without actually asking the CS to handle it? Then the CUA could 
grey out its "Trigger on server" command (or whatever) when it's not 
possible.

/============================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer          |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.     |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.     |
|============================================================|
|"God does not play games with His loyal servants." "Whoo-ee,|
|where have you *been*?" --_Good Omens_                      |
\============================================================/