Subject: CAP: CAR-MIN and predefined CARIDs (Was: Re: CAP: DEFAULT_VCARS)

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:10:51 -0500

Doug Royer wrote:
> 
> In:
> 
> 10.1 Calendar Store Properties
> 
> Is:
> 
>              DEFAULT_VCARS  N     TEXT      A multivalued property
>                                             containing the default VCARs
>                                             for newly created top level
>                                             calendars. Each entry is a
>                                             CARID. It MUST include at a
>                                             minimum
>                                             READBUSYTIMEINFO,REQUESTONLY,
>                                             UPDATEPARTSTATUS, and
>                                             DEFAULTOWNER.
> 
> As part of the debate that separated SQL into SQL-MIN and SQL-92,
> there was an agreement (Insisted upon by I think Frank and perhaps
> Bruce), for some pre-defined VCARS. They were agreed to be:
> 
>   READBUSYTIMEINFO, REQUESTONLY, UPDATEPARTSTATUS, and DEFAULTOWNER.

Bruce,

Would you remember why the VCARs with predefined CARIDs
were introduced in CAP, and how they relate to the CAR
capability "CAR-MIN"?

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:57:57 -0500

> were introduced in CAP, and how they relate to the CAR

Ill try to clarify this a bit.  Im sure if Im too far off base Ill hear 
about it from Frank or some other ol' timer.

We created named CARIDs to define some commonly used sets of VCARs that we 
could use instead of expecting every implementor to derive the same exact 
set.  That is, instead of 3 vendors deriving 3 different sets of, say, 
"Calendar Owner" VCARs, we wanted to keep things a bit more uniform (and 
simple).  If we predefined some sets then we can use them consistantly 
across all CUAs and we would have an understood set of VCARs that are 
easily represented in some form to the CU.  It also makes interoperability 
easier too for like reasons.

Now given predetermined sets of VCARs you need some way to determine what 
sets a particular implementation supports and which it does not.  Thats 
where grouping predefined CARIDs came into the different CAP 
capabilities...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...