Subject: Re: CAP: Current Date-Time Component Property >

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:39:37 -0500

>> I agree.  We have NTP for time synchronization; it can do a much better
>> job than anything we might build over TCP.
>
>  I agree. Can we remove CURRENT-DATETIME from CAP?
>I still see no reasons why we need it.

Well, there are times when you can't use NTP (e.g., if there's a firewall 
in the way that doesn't permit it), so getting the CS's current time when 
you first connect gives you at least a crude idea (to within seconds, 
usually).

/===========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer        |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.   |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|===========================================================|
|"I only wish I had time to get married myself, as I've told|
|m'wife many's the time."                                   |
\===========================================================/

---

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:54:42 -0500

If you can't get the current time from NTP, why not use the current
time that is not available on the device? I still don't see the
importance of getting the current time of the CS. 

I still think that we should remove it from CAP.

However, if people really want it and see an important
need for it, we can add a "get-currenttime" command.
The current time on the CS is not a capability nor
is it a VCALSTORE property.

George