Subject: Re: CHILD/PARENT vs RELATED-TO

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:18:47 -0500

>> >I can set the RELATED-TO property of a VAGENDA to a
>> >CALID that doesn't yet exists.
>> 
>> <blink> And are you claiming this is a useful ability?
>
>I didn't claim anything other than the fact that I can do it.
>
>Are you suggesting that this should be illegal?

Of course.  It's not useful, it opens up opportunities for error, and it's 
easy to prevent.  Why should it be legal?

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|"What a plan! Simple, yet insane!" -- _Monsters, Inc._  |
\========================================================/

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:27:58 -0500

> easy to prevent.  Why should it be legal?

Am I talking to the same guy?

  http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg02855.html

  John Stracke wrote:
  > 
  > >When linkages are between entities whose control is not under a
  > >single or common UPN (ie: CU) then its just not possible to
guarantee
  > >that going "top down" will result in the same view of the links as
  > >going "bottom up".
  > 
  > Just like in hypertext.  Most pre-Web hypertext systems attempted to
  > enforce link consistency, which required either a single server or a
  > complicated distribution model.  When the hypertext community saw
the
  > early Web, they asked, "So how do you prevent broken links?". 
Answer: "We
  > don't.  It usually works, though."  "Usually" turned out to be good
enough
  > to live with, and the simplicity made Web servers easy enough to
become
  > common.

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878