Subject: Consensus? CALMASTER - stays a MAILTO uri

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:32:21 -0700

Someone proposed in the past that CALMASTER allow
more than an MAILTO: URI.

I think that the replies send indicate that it is a contact
address and a MAILTO uri makes more sense.

Agree?

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:46:34 -0500

>> In practice, even http: can function as a contact address,
>True, but how to I send a problem to an http: address?

The CUA can't, but the CU can.  If the CS is installed in an enterprise 
that's invested in an intranet app for submitting and tracking help desk 
requests, they won't appreciate the CUA insisting on an email address.

>Would you give out your IM address or your email address to
>someone with an issue?

<shrug> Different companies have different processes for their help desks. 
 A company that's installed an internal IM server might very well want to 
have an IM address for the support desk.

>And we can't use IM because it is
>not out yet.

Red herring.  We can't use it now, but we should make sure we can use it 
in the future.

>CALMASTER      N     URI       The e-mail address for a
>                               responsible person. Only mailto
>                               URL is currently supported.

I would phrase it as, "A contact address for a responsible person. mailto: 
is recommended, so that a CUA can preformat a problem report for the 
calmaster; but a CUA MUST be able to accept any scheme, even if all it 
does is display the URI to the user".

Another option would be to permit CALMASTER to be either a mailto: or a 
URL that points to a vCard; that would permit the CS to provide multiple 
contact addresses.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer            |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.       |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.       |
|===============================================================|
|If God had not given us duct tape, it would have been necessary|
|to invent it.                                                  |
\===============================================================/