Subject: Re: CAP: VCAR - limiting READ

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:46:24 -0500

[ John, I've CC'ed you as you originally
  were involved in that thread.  -- Bernard ]

Doug Royer wrote:
> 
> For security reasons, a site may wish a CUA to only see GRANT and DENY
> values for which it has access. So I propose an additional paragraph
> to section "2.4.4 Access Rights - Summary":
> 
> A CS may limit the results sent to a CUA in reply to a METHOD READ
> on a VCAR to a set that applies to the current session identity.
> That is if user 'Joe' is the current session identity, then when
> 'Joe' asks to see the VCARs, the CS might only return a VCAR that effects
> 'Joe'. In this way 'Joe' can not see who does have other access.

Back in December 2001 this WG agreed on Doug's idea, but
nobody proposed text to describe the resolution.

I propose that we add the following text in the section
describing the search command.

  When the EXPAND property of the VQUERY component is set to TRUE,
  the CS MUST only supply the UPN of the currently authenticated
  user in the GRANT or DENY property of the VRIGHT components of
  the returned VCAR components. VRIGHT components that don't
  pertain to the currently authenticated user MUST be left out of
  the returned VCAR components.

  For security reasons, the CS MAY supply only the UPN of the
  currently authenticated user in the GRANT or DENY property of the
  VRIGHT components of the returned VCAR components for which the
  currently authenticated user doesn't have the MODIFY permission
  granted.  Furthermore, VRIGHT components that don't pertain to
  the currently authenticated user MAY be left out of the returned
  VCAR for which the currently authenticated user doesn't have the
  MODIFY permission granted.

Regards,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878