Subject: Re: RFC 2446: Delegation text needs some changes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:59:58 -0500

Doug wrote on 02/05/2002 05:38:36 PM:

> As I recall, the ORGANIZER has two valid choices:
> 
>    (1) Send everyone the same VEVENT (or whatever).
>             And that one VEVENT contains ALL of the ATTENDEEs.
> or
>    (2) Send a uique VEVENT to everyone where only the 
>             destination ATTENDEE was in the VEVENT.
> 
> If (1), then the ORGANIZER MUST update everyone when it changes.

We never mandated it as you described because there are more than just 2 
ways that current CUAs deal with it (and do to so would mandate some 
architectural changes vendors cannot just "toss in" so easily). 

The Organizer (or thier CUA) can chose how the invitations or reschedules 
get created and sent out.  We never mandated that _each_ ATTENDEE gets the exact same copy of the invitation or that the ATTENDEE 
list would be identical for everyone.  As such I can build a copy per 
ATTENDEE that has the same info but NO other ATTENDEE info.  Or I can 
chose to make 'onesies' for Delegatees and none for Delegators. Or...

In any case, the text regarding how delegation happens (and what is 
permitted or excluded) needs to be fixed.

> > Its clear from the 2446 that we need to revise the restriction tables
> > so that we can include delegation information otherwise it wont really
> > matter what the prose says since it will be wrong.
> 
> Yes.

Glad we do agree on some parts... ;^)

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:23:37 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> We never mandated it as you described because there are more than just
> 2 ways that current CUAs deal with it (and do to so would mandate some
> The Organizer (or thier CUA) can chose how the invitations or
> reschedules get created and sent out.  We never mandated that _each_
> ATTENDEE gets the exact same copy of the invitation or that the
> ATTENDEE list would be identical for everyone.

Not that it was mandated - but that it was allowed.

>  As such I can build a
> copy per ATTENDEE that has the same info but NO other ATTENDEE info.
>  Or I can chose to make 'onesies' for Delegatees and none for
> Delegators. Or...

Yes. I did not mean that was all you could do - your right.

Yes.

> Glad we do agree on some parts... ;^)

We always agree - we just don't always know we agree
until after a debate :-)