Subject: Re: CAP: Registration of new MIME media type application/cap+xml

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:04:56 -0500

>c) Use text/calendar.  No registration required, but will
>   require us to change and review all the examples.

That review wouldn't take much work, though; it should be straightforward 
to compare them visually.  IIRC, in most cases the XML is just a 
container, with no extra data at all; so you'd just be comparing the 
contained iCalendar in the XML version to the top-level iCalendar in the 
text/calendar version.

Now that I think of it, I think the burden is really on Bernard to 
establish that we should change from text/calendar to XML.  The WG had 
always agreed on CAP commands being carried as text/calendar objects; when 
Bernard did -06, there was no consensus to change to wrapping it in XML. 
So using text/calendar isn't changing the consensus, it's fixing -06's 
failure to not reflect the existing consensus.

/=============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer          |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.     |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.     |
|=============================================================|
|Q: What goes "Pieces of 7! Pieces of 7!"? A: A parroty error.|
\=============================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:52:03 -0500

>failure to not reflect the existing consensus.

Correction: "failure to not reflect the existing consensus"--no "not".

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|Speak softly and carry an Illudium Q-32 Explosive Space |
|Disintegrator.                                          |
\========================================================/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:48:32 -0500

Bernard wrote:
> > Thanks. I still want to re-bring up the point that there
> > is NO beep requirement that we have a content type
> > of XML.
> > 
> > In fact I still think we should just use the already
> > registered type if text/calendar in the BEEP transport
> > of CAP and include everything in the iCalendar object.
> 
> Here's what I think are the options:

The options are irrelvant since the WG never discussed changing to use XML 
AND as Doug correctly notes we have a registered MIME type already.  I 
suspect that the motivation for doing a sweeping change is due to the 
change to BEEP which likes XML for its commands.  However thats not a 
justification for making such a change in CAP w/o WG discussion (and 
clearly there is no concensus for it and never has been).

We should stick w/our text/calendar MIME type and focus on the technical 
challenges of CAP so we can get it baked quicker.

(And folks probalby thought that Doug & I never agree... John is another 
matter. ;^) )

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...