Subject: Re: CAP: Scope of stored VQUERY.

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:29:44 -0500

>  True they are distinct. But I dislike having the semantic 
>of a property being dependent of the presence of other 
>properties.

<shrug> A problem, but not a big one--and one that we already have to deal 
with, since iCalendar itself is full of properties with interdependent 
semantics.

>> Having to say "Search by reference" and "My name is" is 
>> less clear, because it's not obvious that "reference" corresponds to 
>> "name".

>  To use a stored VQUERY the only thing that must be provided
>is the location (TARGET) and the id (QUERYREF) of the query.

The point is that it is nonobvious that REF means NAME.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.        |
|================================================================|
|"All gateways lose information. Some do it more efficiently than|
|others." -- Einar Stefferud                                     |
\================================================================/

---

From: Patrice Lapierre <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 17:31:57 -0500

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 16:29, John Stracke wrote:
...
> The point is that it is nonobvious that REF means NAME.

REF does not mean name but id, however the confusion proves 
your point.

How about using a less ambiguous name such as 
"QUERYIDREF" or "STOREDQUERYIDREF" instead?