Subject: Re: CAP: Registration of new MIME media type application/cap+xml

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:41:08 -0500

>In fact I still think we should just use the already
>registered type if text/calendar in the BEEP transport
>of CAP and include everything in the iCalendar object.

This would have the advantage of better layer separation.  Makes it easier 
to build systems that run CAP over protocols other than BEEP.  For 
example, Nokia could build a cellphone that does CAP by sending and 
receiving iCalendars over SMS.  Then just build an SMS-to-BEEP proxy, and 
Bjorn Stronginthearm's your uncle.

Plus, if, in 2012, someone wants to build CAP-NG over some newer substrate 
(BEEP-NG?), they just have to send the same text/calendar messages.  Makes 
for a better transition plan.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|Stock up and save! Limit one.                           |
\========================================================/

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:23:18 -0500

> for a better transition plan.

Hi John!

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "better
layer separation".

CAP is a connection-oriented protocol.  As such, it is
not clear to me how one could run CAP onto a store and
forward service such as SMS, or provide a mapping of
BEEP onto SMS for that matter.

CAP is defined as a BEEP [RFC 3080] profile, and rely on
the mapping of BEEP onto TCP [RFC 3081]. To run CAP over
another protocol, one simply needs to rely on a different
mapping of BEEP.

Cheers,
Bernard
-- 
Bernard Desruisseaux                    mailto:[email-masked]
Research & Development                  Tel.  : +1 514 733-8500 x4213
Steltor                                 Fax   : +1 514 733-8878

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:59:45 -0700

> BEEP onto SMS for that matter.

CAP is also composed of iCalendar objects that are independant
of transport. I think that was John's point.

> another protocol, one simply needs to rely on a different

Or one could take the CAP objects and use them in another
transport. Like SMS or even iMIP them.