Subject: 4.8.1.7 Location question

From: Gary Frederick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:55:08 -0600

Reading RFC 2445

I understand that LOCATION can be in an event once and that it's text is 
not multi-valued.

We would like to use LOCATION to 'hold' several 'locations'. For 
example, one could be the location of the event, one could be the actual 
room the event was in, one could be a location that's less precise.

Say we have a homeschooling event that is held in Spring, TX. Spring is 
just north of Houston. I would like to have some sort of variation on 
the following:

LOCATION:Spring
LOCATION:Houston
LOCATION:Spring Baptist Church 1027 Spring Cypress

Or

LOCATION:Houston, Spring, Spring Baptist Church 1027 Spring Cypress

The above lets me use LOCATION to hold location info that's useful when 
searching the data later. Eg.

   give me all events that are close to Houston...

I know we can use xparam.

What am I not understanding?

Gary

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:52:04 -0700

> LOCATION:Spring Baptist Church 1027 Spring Cypress

The value of the LOCATION property is currently just TEXT,
so it has no format.

I was *thinking* of *proposing* a vCard (RFC 2426) 'ADR' format
specifier for location as a new iCalendar VALUE type. In addition
use the 2426 TYPE paramater. So that it could be:

	LOCATION;TYPE="home,work";VALUE=ADR:
         ;;123 Main Street;Any Town;CA;91921-1234

Or, perhaps just keep LOCATION the way it is, and add
the ADR property directly as is from vCard.

[Data below from 2426]:

[2426] 3.2.1 ADR Type Definition
[2426]
[2426] To: [email-masked]
[2426]
[2426] Subject: Registration of text/directory MIME type ADR
[2426]
[2426] Type name: ADR
[2426]
[2426]
[2426] Type purpose: To specify the components of the delivery address
for
[2426] the vCard object.
[2426]
[2426] Type encoding: 8bit
[2426]
[2426] Type value: A single structured text value, separated by the
[2426] SEMI-COLON character (ASCII decimal 59).
[2426]
[2426] Type special notes: The structured type value consists of a
[2426] sequence of address components. The component values MUST be
[2426] specified in their corresponding position. The structured type
[2426] value corresponds, in sequence, to the post office box; the
[2426] extended address; the street address; the locality (e.g., city);
[2426] the region (e.g., state or province); the postal code; the
[2426] country name. When a component value is missing, the associated
[2426] component separator MUST still be specified.
[2426]
[2426] The text components are separated by the SEMI-COLON character
[2426] (ASCII decimal 59). Where it makes semantic sense, individual
[2426] text components can include multiple text values (e.g., a
"street"
[2426] component with multiple lines) separated by the COMMA character
[2426] (ASCII decimal 44).
[2426]
[2426] The type can include the type parameter "TYPE" to specify the
[2426] delivery address type. The TYPE parameter values can include
"dom"
[2426] to indicate a domestic delivery address; "intl" to indicate an
[2426] international delivery address; "postal" to indicate a postal
[2426]  delivery address; "parcel" to indicate a parcel delivery
address;
[2426] "home" to indicate a delivery address for a residence; "work" to
[2426] indicate delivery address for a place of work; and "pref" to
[2426] indicate the preferred delivery address when more than one
address
[2426] is specified. These type parameter values can be specified as a
[2426] parameter list (i.e., "TYPE=dom;TYPE=postal") or as a value list
[2426] (i.e., "TYPE=dom,postal"). This type is based on semantics of the
[2426] X.520 geographical and postal addressing attributes. The default
is
[2426] "TYPE=intl,postal,parcel,work". The default can be overridden to
[2426] some other set of values by specifying one or more alternate
[2426] values. For example, the default can be reset to
[2426] "TYPE=dom,postal,work,home" to specify a domestic delivery
address
[2426] for postal delivery to a residence that is also used for work.
[2426]
[2426] Type example: In this example the post office box and the
extended
[2426] address are absent.
[2426]
[2426]    ADR;TYPE=dom,home,postal,parcel:;;123 Main
[2426]      Street;Any Town;CA;91921-1234