Subject: Re: Consensus? CALMASTER - stays a MAILTO uri

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:31:45 -0500

>I think that the replies send indicate that it is a contact
>address and a MAILTO uri makes more sense.

But mailto: is not the only URI scheme for contact addresses expressed. 
For example, IANA's registry lists tel:, sip:, and fax:.  And, once the IM 
protocols (SIMPLE and APEX) reach Proposed Standard, there'll probably be 
URI schemes for IM addresses.

In practice, even http: can function as a contact address, if the URL 
points to a page to send a message, or if it fetches a vCard.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|Know your limits, then destroy 'em.                     |
\========================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:55:50 -0700

> points to a page to send a message, or if it fetches a vCard.

True, but how to I send a problem to an http: address?
I would prefer something that can be programed into a computer
and not have to manually look at a web page in order to
find the contact data - if supplied at all on that web page.

Would you give out your IM address or your email address to
someone with an issue? And we can't use IM because it is
not out yet.

Perhaps we can loosen it up some in the text by changing
it to something like:

Is:
	
      --------------------------------------------------------------
      CALMASTER      N     URI       The e-mail address for a
                                     responsible person. MUST be a
                                     mailto URL.

Propose:

      --------------------------------------------------------------
      CALMASTER      N     URI       The e-mail address for a
                                     responsible person. Only mailto
                                     URL is currently supported.