Subject: Re: Event owner in ICAL schema

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:03:08 -0500

Lata asked:

>                                                                  In our
> existing calendar, we have every appointment owned by a person, namely
> an event_owner, every todo owned by a todo_owner and every journal owned
> by a journal owner. 
[Snip, snip]
>                       As far as we have understood the RFC 2445, we are
> not able to find an equivalent attribute wherein we coudl store this
> information. 

  As several of my quick fingered collegues replied, you probably looked 
at the ORGANIZER property to do what you wanted.  However I think several 
folks have forgotten the text that describes the ORGANIZER property.  What 
they seemingly correclty suggested is actually NOT allowed. 

  From RFC 2445, Section 4.8.4.3 Organizer (p. 106):

   Conformance: This property MUST be specified in an iCalendar object
   that specifies a group scheduled calendar entity. This property MUST
   be specified in an iCalendar object that specifies the publication of
   a calendar user's busy time. This property MUST NOT be specified in
   an iCalendar object that specifies only a time zone definition or
   that defines calendar entities that are not group scheduled entities,
   but are entities only on a single user's calendar.

(emphasis mine).  So, as such for calendar entries that do not involve 
others there is no 'concept' of an Owner or Organizer as we call them in 
iCalendar.  Unfortunately at this time I do not recally why we chose to 
include this particular restriction (at least the latter half of it). 
Perhaps we can nudge Frank Dawson or someone else whose equally long in 
the CalSched tooth to recall why.  (Im sure once mentioned Ill probably 
slap my forehad and say "Oh, of course!" but in the mean time Ill just 
scratch my head a bit...)

> Is there anything that we are missing out here?  Any inputs on this
> would really help.

You can define your own custom vendor extension (ie: X-ORCL-OWNER) and 
include it on all non-workflow entries.  For any workflow entities, 
ORGANIZER is what you want...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 16:27:48 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> others there is no 'concept' of an Owner or Organizer as we call them
> in iCalendar.  Unfortunately at this time I do not recally why we
> chose to include this particular restriction (at least the latter half
> of it).  Perhaps we can nudge Frank Dawson or someone else whose
> equally long in the CalSched tooth to recall why.  (Im sure once
> mentioned Ill probably slap my forehad and say "Oh, of course!" but in
> the mean time Ill just scratch my head a bit...)

Because ORGANIZER is a scheduling thing, and no one
is going to own the contents of a VTIMEZONE.

And because the owner of non-iTIP objects is dependent
on who stores it in CAP. If I give you a copy of VTIMEZONE
for Pacific (US) time, do you or I own it?

> ORGANIZER is what you want...

By workflow - your mean scheduling as defined by iTIP?