Subject: LANGUAGE in CALSTORE

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:42:14 -0700

NEW PROPOSAL.

(1) mandate BEEP "localize" attribute be sent in CS greeting.

(2) Add optional LANGUAGE property to VQUERY in order to
    specify locale sort order when CS supports more than
    one locale.

(Too late as it is in 2445, but LANGUAGE should be LOCALE)

Each calendar has a LANGUAGE property, however the
CALSTORE does not and that can be covered in the
beep greeting.

We need to include text that specifies that a CS MUST include
the "localize" attribute as specified as optional in section 2.3.1.1
of BEEP (rfc3080). This list is the list (one or more) of locales
that the CS understands. And if multiple are supplied, then
the first is the default locale sort order for any VAGANDA
that does not have the LANGUAGE property value set.

This is needed as VQUERY can do sorts, so if the CUA
wishes a different locale sort order, then it can specify
a LANGUAGE property in the VQUERY. And this LANGUAGE property
is only supplied in a VQUERY when:

	It is not the VAGAENDAs default locale (LANGUAGE).

        When it is not the CS's default local (first in list),
        when if the VAGANDAs LANGUAGE is not set.

        And the LANGUAGE property specified in the VQUERY
        was listed in the initial CS BEEP greeting "localize"
        attribute (as proof that the CS supports that locale).

        The CUA wishes to specify the locale sort.

If not supplied, the sort order is in the order sepcified
by the locale (LANGUAGE) of the VAGENDA or if not set,
the first (or only) locale listed in the "localize" 
CS greeting attribute.

---

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:51:25 -0500

In RFC 2445 LANGUAGE is a parameter. However in CAP, we have
it as a property. Is this OK? If we use it in CAP as a property,
would we need to redefine it?

If it is not OK we can use LOCALE. Unfortunately, we will still have
add a separate definition for it, even if it means the same thing
as LANGUAGE.

George

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:31:55 -0700

> add a separate definition for it, even if it means the same thing

I agree, anyone looking up 'LANGUAGE' is going to get confused.
I think that the property name should be 'LOCALE'.

---

From: George Babics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:54:29 -0500

On second thought, I am not sure if we should use
LOCALE. RFC 2277, "IETF Policy on Character Sets and Languages",
uses the POSIX definition of locale:

   The POSIX standard [POSIX] defines a concept called a "locale", which
   includes a lot of information about collating order for sorting, date
   format, currency format and so on.

  I do not think this is what we want to mean by LOCALE.

  The concept of language in RFC 2277 seems to fit what we want
this property to mean.

  Given all this, how about using DEFAULT-LANGUAGE?

  But then, BEEP seems to use the "localize" attribute means language,
so perhaps LOCALE is OK?

George