Subject: Re: RFC-2445: Re: CAP: LANGUAGE parameter

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:34:06 -0500

>ALT-LOCATION (with a '-' and not a '_') sounds good to me.

Of course, we should specify that ALT-foo can appear more than once.

/===============================================================\
|John Stracke                   |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]  |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com|My opinions are my own.        |
|===============================================================|
|Campbell's has it wrong--it's "Never underestimate the power of|
|*chocolate*".                                                  |
\===============================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:09:20 -0500

>We are already covered by the existing ABNF: 

Syntactically, maybe, but we need to make sure to cover multiples when we 
specify the semantics.  Otherwise, an implementor might think that 
ALT-LOCATION can show up only once, like LOCATION.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.        |
|================================================================|
|"All gateways lose information. Some do it more efficiently than|
|others." -- Einar Stefferud                                     |
\================================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 16:51:12 -0500

>The mess comes in how you try to link ALT-xxx to a property of a
>similar name as being the alternate rendering.  Thats an implicit
>assumption Id hate to deal with for sure...

Not at all.  It's an explicit part of the definition of ALT-foo.  The only 
implementations that don't understand that link will be the ones that 
don't understand ALT-foo; and those will simply ignore it and default to 
foo.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|I'm not imaginary. I'm ontologically challenged.        |
\========================================================/