Subject: consensus? REL-CALID is 7/8 bit & NOT globally unique.

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:48:54 -0700

I think we have consensus and I think it was a error
in cap to say that the relative CALID is globally unique.

And I think we have consensus that we need to remove the
7-bit restriction from their values.

Now (In 1.3):

  Relative Calendar Identifier (Relative CalID)

    An identifier for an individual calendar in a calendar store.
    It is unique within a calendar store.  It is recommended to be
    globally unique.  A Relative CalID consists of the portion of
    the "scheme part" of a Qualified CalID following the Calendar
    Store Identifier.  This is the same as the "URL path" of the
    "Common Internet Scheme Syntax" portion of a URL, as defined by
    [URL].

Propose remove "It is recommended to be globally unique.":
So that it says:

 Relative Calendar Identifier (Relative CalID)

    An identifier for an individual calendar in a calendar store.
    It is unique within a calendar store. A Relative CalID consists
    of the portion of the "scheme part" of a Qualified CalID following
    the Calendar Store Identifier.  This is the same as the "URL path"
    of the "Common Internet Scheme Syntax" portion of a URL, as defined
    by[URL].

Now (In 2.6 Calendar Addresses):

         <relativeCALID> is an identifier that uniquely identifies the
         calendar on a particular calendar store.  There is no implied
         structure in a Relative CALID.  It is an arbitrary string of
         printable 7 bit ASCII characters.  It may refer to the calendar
         of a user or of a resource such as a conference room.  It MUST
         be unique within the calendar store.  It is recommended that
         the Relative CALID be globally unique.

Propose remove these two sentences:

  "It is recommended that the Relative CALID be globally unique."
  "It is an arbitrary string of printable 7 bit ASCII characters. "

So that it reads:

         <relativeCALID> is an identifier that uniquely identifies the
         calendar on a particular calendar store.  There is no implied
         structure in a Relative CALID. It may refer to the calendar
         of a user or of a resource such as a conference room. It MUST
         be unique within the calendar store. And MUST BE a valid
         "URL path". It is recommended that implementations allow for
         8-bit Relative CALIDs in readiness for when URLs can be 8-bit.