Subject: Re: CAP open issues

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:02:48 -0500

>George Babics wrote:
>
>>   - Should the CHARSET property become DEFAULT-CHARSET and
>>     should we instead define a charset value type?
>
>Yes I agree - we do need to specify what the format is, I am sure
>that some RFC covers that.

I've been looking, but I can't find a syntax specification (except for 
something informal in RFC-1345, which is Informational).  What I have 
found is the IANA registry of character set identifiers, at 
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets>.

/================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer             |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.        |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.        |
|================================================================|
|Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. --I forget who|
\================================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:07:06 -0500

>I've been looking, but I can't find a syntax specification

Please ignore this; as George wrote, the ABNF for the syntax is in 
RFC-2278.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.         |
|=================================================================|
|"Fly Heisenberg Airlines! We may not know where we are, but we're|
|making real good time." -- _Synners_ by Pat Cadigan              |
\=================================================================/

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:44:17 -0500

>And you can't read them if you don't know
>the charset.

Oh--duh.  OK, then.

I wish the charset names had some sort of "is ASCII-compatible" notation. 
Then we could mandate that the CS MUST accept all ASCII-compatible 
charsets (since iCalendar's syntax is expressed in ASCII, and can just 
treat high-bit octets as opaque content).  As it is, though, there'd be no 
way for a CS to know that an incoming message was ASCII-compatible.

I suppose we could define an "charset-is-ASCII-compatible" parameter for 
the Content-type.  Kind of icky, though.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|This is the .sig that says... Ni!                       |
\========================================================/