Subject: Input from the Referees

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:06:11 -0400

Folks-

Pat and I have been following the recent threads, and some small
reminders may be in order...

One of the few powers of the chairs is to call consensus on an issue.
In this general category, some things to remember:

          Silence does not represent consensus.
          Loud voices with a particular viewpoint do not represent consensus.

Pat and I will be making an effort over the next few days to review
the recent list traffic for items we can consider closed.  Look for
such categorizing from us soon.

All of our efforts, however polished we may consider them, will be
subject to eventual wider review in order to advance.  So our choices
and design are subject to possible change as we are reviewed by the
IESG and subjected to IETF Last Call.

If we don't deal with important questions of design, they may well
come back and bite us.  We are making real efforts to narrow the
scope of discussion, so that we can focus the energies of those brave
souls still contributing.  As we knock off each item, we will take up
the next, and on until we reach a useful point.  But we must be
careful: we can legitimately put off some advanced functionality for
a future version of the spec, but we will not succeed if we don't
address essential points.

It's good to be on guard against "mission creep", but if we do find
some painful but necessary change is needed down the road, we do not
do anyone a favor by putting it off.

We've been at this for some time, and it's easy to be frustrated and
fatigued.  It would be best to take an extra breath before weighing
in on a topic that is getting hot.  We all want the same thing, and
I'm sure we all wish this were finished by now.  Please recognize
that additional friction very much impairs our progress, and try and
keep your contributions professional and open-minded.

Your continued tolerance, energy, and attention are much appreciated by all.

-Bob