Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: Application for port-number (1026)]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 11:35:10 -0400

Forgot to cc: the list on this note.

----- Forwarded by Pat R Egen/Egen Consulting/01 on 08/04/2002 11:34 -----

Pat R Egen
08/04/2002 11:34

        To:     Andrew Davison <[email-masked]>
        cc: 
        Subject:        Re: [Fwd: RE: Application for port-number (1026)]

Hm, this is not good.  I wonder if Microsoft registered those ports with 
IANA.  We can not register a port (completely) until a draft is an RFC - 
CAP is not there yet.  So, we may indeed have lost this port number.

Andrew Davison <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked] 
08/04/2002 01:11 
        
        To:        [email-masked] 
        cc:         
        Subject:        Re: [Fwd: RE: Application for port-number (1026)]

I just installed WIN2K Service Pack 3 (SP3) today and guess what? It has 
started using port 1026 for it's own inscrutable reasons! It opens that 
port early on (among many others) on all interfaces,  and it definitely 
is not a calendar server. I assume it started using port 1025, then 1026 
etc. as ephemeral ports but for listening. The same probably exists in 
WINXP as i believe a lot of stuff was back ported to WIN2K in SP3. I 
have been through all stoppable services and nothing i could find would 
disable it. Nor have i been able to find any information on it at 
microsoft.com so perhaps someone is in a position of knowledge and could 
comment.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:08:45 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hm, this is not good.  I wonder if Microsoft registered those ports 
> with IANA.  We can not register a port (completely) until a draft is 
> an RFC - CAP is not there yet.  So, we may indeed have lost this port 
> number.

Well, losing a port number isn't such a big deal; pre-RFC 
implementations, if any, will just have to make the change.  (In the 
Unix world, they could just make sure to look up the port number via 
getprotobyname(3); then, even if they have to ship before RFC--bad 
idea--then they just have to change /etc/services.)

-- 
/===========================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]  |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centivinc.com|
|Centiv            |My opinions are my own. |
|===========================================|
|Newt Nuggets!                              |
\===========================================/