Subject: TARGET in VQUERY (was: No comments on my proposals?)

From: Patrice Lapierre <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Aug 2002 13:06:07 -0400

Hi,

I think we all agree that a stored VQUERY must have unique
QUERYID within its container (the VCALSTORE or a given VAGENDA). 

The next question is should uniqueness of QUERYID be enforced 
globally within a given CS?

Personally I don't think so for the following reasons:

  1. Consistency with other components present in CAP.
     e.g., CARIDs are only unique within their container.
     
  2. Don't add dependencies between VAGENGAs
     e.g., When moving/copying a VAGENGA to another server 
           I don't want the operation to fail because of a 
           QUERYID conflict.

  3. Efficiency: no need to verify all containers or maintain
     global repository. 
   
If we follow that direction, then within a CS there may be several
stored VQUERYs with the same QUERYID and therefore we must provide
a mean to uniquely identify them.

The addition of a TARGET property in VQUERY addresses this issue, 
and may even allow a more efficient implementation since we don't 
need to search all the VAGENDAs to find the VQUERY.

Regards,
Patrice.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:50:49 -0600

> globally within a given CS?

I agree.

>      e.g., CARIDs are only unique within their container.

If you mean because the DEFAULT_VCARS are copied into each
newly created VAGENDA - yes.

>            I don't want the operation to fail because of a

Yes  that could be a big issue. I have seen no objections.

> need to search all the VAGENDAs to find the VQUERY.

I agree. I have seen no objection, so I added to the CAP source.

-Doug