Subject: Re: Diffs - ftp://royer.com/pub/CALSCH/cap.txt

From: Gary McGath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:33:53 -0400

A few more typographical nitpicks on cap-09-b-1.txt.  For whatever
reason, my line numbering doesn't agree with Andrea's, so I couldn't
easily eliminate duplications.

 (I sent this before from a different address from the one which I use
for this list, and it apparently was devnulled.  Sorry if this shows up
twice now.)

Line 270, capitialized => capitalized

Line 274, refered => referred

Line 436, "the the"

Line 696, suppled => supplied

Line 1501, "the the"

Line 1525-26, "the the" across a line break

Line 1744, slected => selected

Line 1906, propery => property

Line 2107, properteis => properties

Line 2287, allwod => allowed

Line 2737, noew => new

Line 2900, localizeable => localizable (arguable, but "localizeable"
looks funny to me)

Line 3043, proprety => property

Line 3590, Veiw => View

Line 3917, guraintee => guarantee

Line 4197, create-minumum => create-minimum

Line 4580, commmand => command

Line 5069, "is  is"

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:27:48 -0600

Thanks! - all fixed in my copy.

> for this list, and it apparently was devnulled.  Sorry if this shows up

-
Doug Royer                       Work: (208)612-INET
[email-masked]                   Fax:  (866)594-8574
http://INET-Consulting.com       Cell: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug

---

From: Gary Frederick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:10:07 -0500

Doug, can you put your fixed copy up?

Gary

>> for this list, and it apparently was devnulled.  Sorry if this shows up
trim

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:28:05 -0600

Done - the -09 version rev b-2 TXT and HTML dated Today 23 Oct 2002 are at:

	http://INET-Consulting.com/cap-09-2.txt

	http://INET-Consulting.com/cap-09-2.html

Note: the XSLT processing removed the 'day' from the date. I am
looking at that now...

-- 
-

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:20:13 -0600

I just updated my copy of 'rfc2629.xslt', so it puts the
day of the month in the Draft and Expire dates. Just like
xml2rfc.tcl does. And I updated the cap-09-2.html copy on
INET-Consulting.com .

The tweaked XSLT file is at:

	http://INET-Consulting.com/rfc2629.xslt

---

From: Andrea Campi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:33:10 +0200

Hi Doug,

sorry I can't find a proper proposal for this (though I mentioned it in 
I mentioned it in <[email-masked]>), but since it's an 
obvious error, I propose to fix it right now.

Rules 6 and he example have the syntax component.*:

  SELECT VALARM.* FROM VEVENT WHERE UID = "123"

But the ABNF doesn't allow this.

Also, cap-col doesn't allow for the component.property syntax, i.e. it 
is:

           cap-col    = ; Any property name found in the component
                        ; named in the comp-name used in the "FROM" 
clause.
                        ;
                        ;   SELECT ORGANIZER FROM VEVENT ...
                        ;
                        ; OR
                        ;
                        ; A component name of an existing component 
contained
                        ; inside of the comp-name used in the "FROM" 
clause.
                        ;
                        ;   SELECT VALARM FROM VEVENT ...

IMHO it should be something like:

           cap-col    = ; Any property name found in the component
                        ; named in the comp-name used in the "FROM" 
clause.
                        ;
                        ;   SELECT ORGANIZER FROM VEVENT ...
                        ;
                        ; OR
                        ;
                        ; A component name of an existing component 
contained
                        ; inside of the comp-name used in the "FROM" 
clause.
                        ;
                        ;   SELECT VALARM FROM VEVENT ...
                        ;
                        ; OR
                        ;
                        ; Any property name found in any component 
contained
                        ; inside of the comp-name used in the "FROM" 
clause; the
                        ; component and property name are separated by a 
dot '.'
                        ;
                        ;
                        ;  SELECT * FROM VEVENT WHERE VALARM.TRIGGER < 
'20020201T000000Z'

Note however that this would also allow component.property as a 
cap-val, i.e.:

  SELECT VALARM.TRIGGER FROM VEVENT WHERE UID = "123"

However, AFAIK we never discussed this before, so we might want to fix 
this it later on.

Bye,
	Andrea

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:09:59 -0500

> But the ABNF doesn't allow this.

Correct.  Given that the example used is a fairly common one Id say the 
ABNF needs some changing.

clause.
contained
clause.
contained
clause; the
dot '.'
'20020201T000000Z'

In looking at the changetext you proposed I notice that there is still no 
'terminal' values for the cap-col ABNF entry, only text.  I do not think 
this is legal.  I expect that the ABNF needs to be formatted like:

                        ( cap-col-prop /

                        ; OR
                        ;

                        cap-col-prop2 

           cap-col-prop   = eventprop       ;Legal properties for a 
"VEVENT".

           cap-col-prop2  = ( eventprop / alarmc )  ;Legal properties and 
contained 
                                                   ; objects for a 
"VEVENT" .

           cap-col-prop  /= todoprop        ;Legal properties for a 
"VTODO".

           cap-col-prop2 /= ( todoprop / alarmc )  ;Legal properties and 
contained 
                                                   ; objects for a "VTODO" 
.
...

Where we use the "/=" ABNF notation to restrict what properties are usable 
when.  In the case above Ive restricted the cap-col values for a VEVENT to 
be just those eventprop values defined in RFC 2445.  Yes, doing this will 
cause ABNF to get more complex but it will allow us to avoid any crocks 
like the one you described (plus I dont think we can have a dangling ABNF 
like we do now).

My ABNF crafting on the fly is not so great but I think the intent is at 
least clear enough.  We can get a ANBF guru to tune it as appropriate if 
we decide to make it work right.

> However, AFAIK we never discussed this before, so we might want to fix 

Actually I raised this at the IETF in February/March in hallway talks 
w/Steve & the Steltor contingant.  Guess it didnt get reflected in any 
changes since then.   I think that we need to be able to do as you noted 
in the initial version of the protocol since its a very common thing to 
want to do.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Andrea Campi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:35:00 +0100

> we decide to make it work right.

I agree with your proposal. My ABNF skills are not good at all, but I agree
we should fix it somehow right now and finetune it later on.

> w/Steve & the Steltor contingant.  Guess it didnt get reflected in any 

Yes, that's why I said As Far As I Know - I wasn't around yet.

Bye,
	Andrea

-- 
Andrea Campi                              mailto:[email-masked]
I.NET S.p.A. - BT Ignite                  http://www.inet.it
Technical Dept. - R&D			  phone: +39 02 32863 ext 1
v. Darwin, 85 - I-20019			  fax: +39 02 32863 ext 7705
Settimo Milanese (MI), Italy