Subject: CAP: Cleanly disconnecting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:54:11 -0500

In the latest CAP draft I notice that there is still no command to allow a 
CUA to cleanly disconnect from the CAP server.

This issue was raised a long time ago (pre-BEEP) and Im not BEEP 
proficient enough to tell if there is some clean disconnect mechanism in 
BEEP that can be utilizied by the CS to detect clean disconnects from 
'unclean' ones.

In the past it was claimed that it was not necessary but I think that 
there is no reason NOT to have one since it will allow for a CS to better 
do resource management and logging of issues like link drops, etc.  After 
all there is a distinction between "Network connection lost" for every use 
all the time and "User UPN1 disconnected at 10:13:52 EST from IP 
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and "Network connection for UPN1 timed out".  The latter 
is a failure, the former is is not.

Is there any reason we dont have or need a "BYE" or "DISCONNECT" command 
in CAP?

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:24:18 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> In the latest CAP draft I notice that there is still no command to allow 
> a CUA to cleanly disconnect from the CAP server.

Section 2.4 of BEEP describes how to close a connection by
sending a close on channel zero (0).

A CAP 'BUY' command would be superfluous.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Andrea Campi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:02:47 +0100

> A CAP 'BUY' command would be superfluous.

I don't agree. OK, BEEP is the chosen transport; but I still
think that this is a break of network layering.

I definitely agree with Bruce - we should have a 'BYE' command
of sort.

Bye,
	Andrea

-- 
Andrea Campi                              mailto:[email-masked]
I.NET S.p.A. - BT Ignite                  http://www.inet.it
Technical Dept. - R&D			  phone: +39 02 32863 ext 1
v. Darwin, 85 - I-20019			  fax: +39 02 32863 ext 7705
Settimo Milanese (MI), Italy