Subject: Remote access to the CALSCH meeting in Atlanta

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:44:57 -0500

This time, the IETF is offering a neat way to participate on the meeting
without being in Atlanta.  The text below shows how to gain access.  Our
room is called CALSCH.  The text was prepared by Marshal Rose.

 Remote Access for the 55th IETF meeting in Atlanta:      Text Conferencing

At each IETF meeting, two of the working group meeting rooms are equipped
for video multicast and remote participation.  That is, for every IETF
meeting slot, two of the working groups can see and hear the meeting. For
the 55th IETF, in *addition* to the usual network A/V, text
conferencing will be provided for every working group that meets.

All of the conference rooms will be hosted on conference.ietf.jabber.com
and each is named using the official IETF abbreviation found in the
agenda (e.g., "apparea",  "dhc", "forces", and so on -- for all the
examples that follow, we'll use "foobar" as the abbreviation).

Each conference room also has a 'bot which records everything that gets
sent. So, the minute taker can review this information right after the
meeting.

1. Before the meeting:

1.1. If you want to participate

If you don't already have one, get yourself a Jabber client, here are some
suggestions:

    platform       suggestion
    --------       ----------
    win32 http://exodus.jabberstudio.org
    'nix  http://gabber.sf.net
    macos http://jabberfox.sf.net

When you start the client for the first time, it will eventually ask if you
want to register on a public server. Go ahead and do that.

If you want to find out more, instead of choosing these defaults, here are
pointers to some additional information:

    list of clients:    http://www.jabber.org/user/clientlist.php
              howto:    http://www.jabber.org/user/userguide/
        server list:    http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.php

To make sure everything is running ok, do a "Join Group Chat" with your
Jabber client:

    Group/Room: testing
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

This conference room is up and running right now (although probably no one
will be in it when you connect).

1.2. What the Chair does

If you want to make text conferencing available, you'll need to have a
volunteer scribe in the meeting room. The scribe will be typing in a
running commentary as to what's going on in the room (who's presenting,
what question is being asked, etc.)

So, why not send an email out on the mailing list now, before the meeting,
to ask for volunteers?

2. At the meeting

2.1. What the Chair does

When a session starts, the chair asks if someone in the room is willing to
act as "scribe". If no one volunteers, read no further, we're done!

Otherwise, the scribe should do a "Join Group Chat" with their Jabber
client, e.g.,

    Group/Room: foobar
    Server:     conference.ietf.jabber.com

2.2. What the Scribe does

The scribe types in a running commentary as to what's going on in the room.
For example, if a speaker makes a presentation, the scribe types
in the URL for the presentation (more on this in a bit).

Simlarly, during question time, a remote participant can type a question
into the room and the scribe can pass it on to the speaker.

2.3. What each Presenter does

Each presenter should put a copy of their presentation on a web server
somewhere, so remote participants can follow along.

If you don't have a server available, email your presentation to

    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: foobar

and the Secretariat will put the presentation in a server so it can be
accessed under:

    http://atlanta.ietf.org/presentations/foobar/

Don't wait until the last minute to send the email.

2.4. Where to find the conference log

    http://www.jabber.com/chatbot/logs/conference.ietf.jabber.com/foobar/

2.5. Finally

This is an experiment. Let's see how well it works and discuss it after the
meeting.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

---

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:03:05 -0500

Gentle poke: providing remote text access will require a "scribe" (in 
addition to the minutes scribe), willing to fill the role below. 
Please drop me a note if you're here in Atlanta and interested in 
volunteering...

-Bob