Subject: CAP: Unused ABNF / Restriction tables

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:21:23 -0500

As part of my ABNF analysis I ran across this in the 09-submitted draft:

   Restriction table for the "CREATE" command:

   create-minimum = "BEGIN" ":" "VCALENDAR" CRLF
                    calprops
                    *(iana-prop)
                    *(x-prop)
                    1*(create-comp)
                    "END" ":" "VCALENDAR" CRLF

                  ; If The following  contain the "METHOD"
                  ; property they MUST conform to [iTIP].
                  ;
    create-comp = agendac / carc / queryc
                  / timezonec / freebusyc
                  / eventc / todoc / journalc
                  / iana-comp / x-component

and I have 3 questions/issues:

1: The snippet is not a restriction table, its an ABNF bit so the text is 
misleading. 
2: The ABNF is NEVER referenced anywhere in the draft so either its stale 
or it got disconnected in some edit.  Either way it needs fixing or 
removing.
3: The comment in the ABNF says that the component contains the METHOD 
property but thats illegal; the METHOD property is part of calprops, NOT 
inside a component like an eventc, todoc, etc! It should say something 
like:

                  ; If the 'calprops' contains the "METHOD"
                  ; property then the 'create-comp' component MUST 
                  ; conform to [iTIP] restrictions.

(I think that references to other ABNF actual parts must be single quoted 
in the comment or at least we did it in 2445...)  Of course iTIP does not 
have tables for 'carc' components so that last bit could use a bit of 
weasle wording to say "conform to iTIP if defined in iTIP or subsequent 
revisions...."

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:22:37 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> ...
> 1: The snippet is not a restriction table, its an ABNF bit so the text 
> is misleading.  

Fixed thanks.

> 2: The ABNF is NEVER referenced anywhere in the draft so either its 
> stale or it got disconnected in some edit.  Either way it needs fixing 
> or removing.

I'll add the missing links - thanks for catching that. I'll check
the other commands - they may have the same issue.

>                   ; conform to [iTIP] restrictions.

Fixed - thanks.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards