Subject: Re: 1.3 Defintions: BOOKED

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:10:16 -0500

Doug replied on 10/30/2002 03:09:58 PM:
> >    A CUA may create a "BOOKED" state entry by depositing a iCalendar
> >   object into the store.  This is done by depositing an object that
> >   does not have a "METHOD" property.
> > 
> > However this is not 100% accurate as a CUA can deposit a VCAR into the 

> > CS w/o a METHOD property and by this definition the VCAR would be 
> > considered "BOOKED".  (Same goes for a VQUERY, VTIMEZONE, etc)
> 
> What's the problem?

So I can now 'book' a VQUERY, VCAR or VTIMEZONE?  Sounds illogical to me. 
"BOOKED" as a state is only logical when it relates to workflow oriented 
components like VEVENTs, VTODOs and VJOURNALs.  Other components dont have 
associated workflow and are stateless so they shouldn't be tagged with one 
(implicitly or explicitly).

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:35:24 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> So I can now 'book' a VQUERY, VCAR or VTIMEZONE?  Sounds illogical to 
> me.  "BOOKED" as a state is only logical when it relates to workflow 
> oriented components like VEVENTs, VTODOs and VJOURNALs.  Other 
> components dont have associated workflow and are stateless so they 
> shouldn't be tagged with one (implicitly or explicitly).

A while back the WG list agreed that iTIP workflow (METHOD) would be separated
from STATE. There is no such relationship.

-- 
-
Doug Royer                       Work: (208)612-INET
[email-masked]                   Fax:  (866)594-8574
http://INET-Consulting.com       Cell: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:09:51 -0500

Doug shot back on 11/04/2002 04:35:24 PM:
> A while back the WG list agreed that iTIP workflow (METHOD) would 
beseparated
> from STATE. There is no such relationship.

Thats not how CAP describes it.  Draft 09-b-3 (sorry, cant find -4 still) 
says:

2.2 Relationship of RFC-2446 (ITIP) and CAP

[Snip]
   A CUA may create a "BOOKED" state object by depositing a iCalendar
   object into the store.  This is done by depositing an object that
   does not have a "METHOD" property.  The CS then knows to set the
   state of the object to the "BOOKED" state.  If the object has a
   "METHOD" property then the object is stored in the "UNPROCESSED"
   state.

Thus you are using the iTIP METHOD property to determine the state (or 
STATE) of the entry.   This is an overloading of the METHOD properties 
definition and creates a linkage you say you didnt want.

When talking about the state of an object, under the definition of BOOKED, 
you constantly (and correctly) refer to "scheduling object" in many 
places.  A VCAR is NOT a scheduling object.  A VQUERY is NOT a scheduling 
object. A VAGENDA is NOT a scheduling object.  So these components should 
have no STATE.  A VEVENT IS a scheduling object.  So are VTODOs and 
VJOURNALs.  So these components SHOULD have STATE.  This distinction is 
part of my original posting: you incorrectly group non-scheduling objects 
w/scheduling objects when you wrote:

      2.  A "BOOKED" state entry is stored with the "CREATE" command.
          It is an object that has  been acted on by a CU or CUA and
          there has been a decision to store an object.

"scheduling object" != any arbitrary "object" that can be stored using 
CAP.  I was/am trying to ammend this.

Bruce