Subject: CAP: ABNF is incomplete

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:43:39 -0500

In several places the ABNF is incomplete and therefore not usable as is. 
For example:

   id-param         = ";" "ID" "=" unique-id
                    ; The text value supplied is a unique value
                    ; shared between the CUA and CS to uniquely
                    ; identify the instance of command in the
                    ; the current CUA session. The value has
                    ; no meaning to other CUAs or other sessions.

   unique-id        = ; text

   localize-param   = ";" "LOCALIZE" "=" beep-localize
                    ; The value supplied MUST BE one value from the 
initial
                    ; BEEP greeting 'localize' attribute specifying
                    ; the locale to use for error messages during
                    ; this instance of the command sent.

   beep-localize    = ; text

In both of these cases there is no legal way to evaluate beep-localize and 
unique-id. 

Perhaps the intent was to have:

   beep-localize    = text ;Some reference to 'localize' values from 
BEEP...

but I dont want to make that assumption.  In any case there should be no 
'dangling' ABNF like we have above or its not possible to validate a CAP 
payload.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:38:19 -0700

Sorry - I maybe missing you point.

Are you saying add the comment ';Some reference to 'localize' values from' to
'beep-locaize' describing its usage?

[email-masked] wrote:
>                    ; The value supplied MUST BE one value from the initial
> In both of these cases there is no legal way to evaluate beep-localize 
> and unique-id.
> 
> Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:23:14 -0500

> 'beep-locaize' describing its usage?

Im saying the ABNF is incomplete and thus not evaulatable as expected. For 
example, if I have:

   unique-id        = ; text

then what values can any unique-id node have?  There is a NULL value so it 
can be nothing which is not what I think was intended.  I was asking if it 
should have been:

   unique-id        = text ;Some useful comment...

instead. 

In the beep-localize case I was asking if it was intended to be the same 
as the 'localize' value defined in BEEP.

Bruce

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:10:25 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> Im saying the ABNF is incomplete and thus not evaulatable as expected. 
>  For example, if I have:
> 
>    unique-id        = ; text
> 
> then what values can any unique-id node have?  There is a NULL value so 
> it can be nothing which is not what I think was intended.  I was asking 
> if it should have been:
> 

Yep - I'll make it:

   unique-id = paramtext ; At least one 'SAFE-CHAR' MUST BE supplied.
                         ; Where 'paramtext' and 'SAVE-CHAR' are
                         ; defined in [iCAL]

> as the 'localize' value defined in BEEP.

And I'll change:

  beep-localize = ; A single 'localize' value. Where 'localize' is
                  ; defined in 2.3.1.1 of [BEEP]

And I'll review the other usages of 'text' to see if they
should be 'paramtext' or something else.

--