Subject: Re: 1.3 Defintions: BOOKED

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:13:08 -0500

Doug replied on 10/30/2002 03:12:32 PM:
> > After all you do not put deleted VCARs or VTIMEZONEs into a "DELETED" 
> > state do you?
> 
> Why not?

What purpose does it serve to mark a VCAR as "marked for deletion" instead 
of just removing it (and possibly keeping some indicator that its no 
more)?   Does a "marked for deletion" VCAR have any effect on the system 
or my ability to access it?  It shouldn't.  So why should the CS keep it 
around as "marked for deletion" instead of just removing it?? 

Too much cruft!!

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:22:16 -0500

Doug answered on 10/30/2002 03:10:55 PM:
> > We may want to create an explicit definition as to what a Calendar 
Entry 
> > is versus a Calendar Entity since we use the terms freely but not do 
not 
> > explicitly define them (see above).  This could allow some folks to 
> > interpret the distinction incorrectly.   To seed the distinction I 
would 
> > define entry explicitly as VEVENTs, VTODOs or VJOURNALs only and be 
done 
> > w/it.  We cant just say "Any [RFC2445] defined components" because 
that 
> > would include VTIMEZONEs, VFREEBUSYs and VALARMs."
> 
> Again - what's the problem? It is true.

The problem is that you are creating a component with state for a 
stateless component using the definition I cited.  Should stateless 
components like VCARs or VTIMEZONEs now be given a state like "BOOKED"?  I 
think not.

Now if you want to create some label besides "BOOKED" to associate with 
stateless components for query purposes I can possibly see that but I 
disagree with associating a state with stateless components.

Bruce