Subject: 2445: DTSTART and DTEND (and DUE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

if DTSTART is of type DATE then DTEND must be also be of type DATE;
is the reverse true (must these two always match in type)?

none of these rules are stated for DTSTART and DUE (for VTODO),
are the rules that apply to DTSTART/DTEND meant to apply to DTSTART/DUE?

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:31:03 -0600

>is the reverse true (must these two always match in type)?

If it is not an anniversary or daily reminder - I think that they do not 
have to match.

-- 

 Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com 
 -------------------------------|-----------------------------
 [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
 http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:46:09 -0700

> If it is not an anniversary or daily reminder - I think that they do not

	they at least have to match in the one direction:
---
   The "VEVENT" is also the calendar component used to specify an
   anniversary or daily reminder within a calendar. These events have a
   DATE value type for the "DTSTART" property instead of the default
   data type of DATE-TIME. If such a "VEVENT" has a "DTEND" property, it
   MUST be specified as a DATE value also. The anniversary type of
   "VEVENT" can span more than one date (i.e, "DTEND" property value is
   set to a calendar date after the "DTSTART" property value).
---
	and even though this is in the context of an using a VEVENT
	to represent an anniversary,
	I would assume it always holds true,
	because among other things you don't know it's an anniversary
	(well, other than one might claim it is implied by DTSTART being of
	 type DATE, but again, you'd be left with DTEND having to be DATE when
	 DTSTART is a DATE).