Subject: Re: CAP issue #657 (BEEP profile): closed?

From: "Preston Stephenson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:23:25 -0600

There is a greeting that says CAP is supported, but there is not a BEEP
start channel for CAP.
BEEP communicates on channels.
What channel will be for CAP?
The doc shows starting a channel for authentication, but that is for
authentication not CAP.
In the BEEP (RFC3080) spec it shows starting a channel to do TLS.

>>> [email-masked] 08/04/04 11:46 AM >>>

Is that not covered in "12.3 BEEP connection details" ?

If not, what is missing?

Preston Stephenson wrote:

>Sorry I haven't been getting copied for some time.
>I still don't see how to start a BEEP channel for CAP in rev 13.
>At least with my understanding of BEEP.
>Preston
>
>  
>

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com 
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax:    (866)594-8574
                               | Cell:   (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:33:14 -0600

>There is a greeting that says CAP is supported, but there is not a BEEP
Start one - per beep. You have the uri as specified in CAP:

    http://iana.org/beep/cap/1.0

And BEEP: "2.3.1.2 The Start Message"

>What channel will be for CAP?
Any where you started the channel with the uri = 
http://iana.org/beep/cap/1.0

>The doc shows starting a channel for authentication, but that is for

CAP does not have its own authentication. It uses the BEEP SASL profile
for authentication.

Once authentication is complete and valid, send a CAP greeting as
described in CAP "12.3 BEEP connection details", paragraph
that starts with "At this point ...". Once the greeting is accepted
you can open as many channels as you wish providing the CAP uri
for each channel.

 *** And again, I am not what I would call a beep expert. So if something
is incorrect, please advice! ***

--