Subject: CAP issue #794: need ABNF ADDED

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 13:56:52 -0700 (PDT)

This issue was filed by [email-masked] (Doug Royer), based on a message to
the list from Bruce Kahn.  The text of the issue is below.  Comment is
solicited.  In the absence of comment, the chairs will direct Doug to make
this change in the next rev of the CAP draft.

 - RL "Bob"

---

Description of problem:

In looking up the defintiion of "*" and "*.*" I tried to find it in the
CAP-13 text or the ABNF and I cant find it actually defined anywhere
really.  I did find 1 defintion in relation to permissions:

   all         = "*"

and this bit related to UPNs in Section 9.3 VCAR Component:

   "All CUs and UGs" are specified by the UPN value "*".

but I found no other text or ABNF that defined the use of "*" to mean "All
sub-components and all properties" the way we use it in Section 6.1.1
CAL-QUERY Value Type and throughout CAP.  I know we all take it to be "all
matches"  or "all items" as in a regexp match but we really should
explicitly define what "*" means since we use it frequently in CAP.

I propose we add the following line to Section 6.1.1 somewhere near the
top:

   All contained properties and subcomponents are specified by the
   cap-cols value "*".