Subject: [Ietf-calsify] DST discontinuities part 1: date-times that fall in discontinutities

From: lennox at cs.columbia.edu (Jonathan Lennox)
Date: Mon Nov 6 15:52:34 2006

In the meeting today, we brought up the issue of DST discontinuities for
RRULEs, and Eliot asked for text to be sent to the mailing list.

The first issue has to do with how you handle an ambiguous or nonexistent
DATE-TIME value.  E.g. (assuming America/New_York describes the U.S. Eastern
Time Zone) how do you handle the two cases

DTSTART;TZID=America/New_York:20060402T023000 (which does not exist)

DTSTART;TZID=America/New_York:20061029T013000 (which occurs twice)

I would suggest that both these examples be forbidden.  For the latter case,
clients MUST use UTC (or potentially, some other timezone which does not
have a jump at that time) to describe the event.

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

---

From: lear at cisco.com (Eliot Lear)
Date: Thu Nov 16 07:19:00 2006

> have a jump at that time) to describe the event.
Chair hat off, I agree with your suggestion.

Eliot