Subject: [Ietf-calsify] Duration Value Type

From: Oliver Block <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:38:58 +0200

Hello everybody,

I'd like to draw your attention to the following text:

      When computing an exact duration, the greatest order time
      components MUST be added first, that is, the number of weeks MUST
      be added first, followed by the number of days, number of hours,
      number of minutes, and number of seconds.

The syntax is defined as follows:

        dur-value  = (["+"] / "-") "P" (dur-date / dur-time / dur-week)

        dur-date   = dur-day [dur-time]
        dur-time   = "T" (dur-hour / dur-minute / dur-second)
        dur-week   = 1*DIGIT "W"
        dur-hour   = 1*DIGIT "H" [dur-minute]
        dur-minute = 1*DIGIT "M" [dur-second]
        dur-second = 1*DIGIT "S"
        dur-day    = 1*DIGIT "D"

As far as I've understood the meaning of RFC2445 (not the latest draft) 
and also of the syntax above, the use of week excludes the use of 
dur-date and also of dur-time. (I don't know if there is a need of a 
mixed form of in real life time planning.) So if you want to allow 
dur-week AND dur-date/dur-time within the same value, you need to change 
the ABNF to, for example

        dur-value  = (["+"] / "-") "P" [dur-week]  (dur-date / dur-time)

or for example

        dur-value  = (["+"] / "-") "P" (dur-date / dur-time / dur-week)
        ...
        dur-week   = 1*DIGIT "W" [dur-date]
        ...

If not, you need to change the text:

      When computing an exact duration, the greatest order time
      components MUST be added first, that is, the number of days MUST
      be added first, followed number of hours, number of minutes, and 
number
      of seconds.

Additionally there could be added an explicit statement if weeks and 
day/time are both to be used in a Duration value.

Do you agree?

Best Regards,

Oliver Block

_______________________________________________
Ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:06:50 -0400

>      be added first, followed number of hours, number of minutes, and 

+1

Good catch.

Thanks,
Bernard