Subject: [calsify] Jscalendar, description

From: Michael Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 17:10:06 -0400

We had some discussion for eventpub about descriptions as a number of 
vendors have a need to provide plain text and marked up text - mostly html.

We came up with a solution for eventpub but we're back to square one 
with jscalendar.

I'm afraid I missed this doing the ical->jscal but was reminded going 
the other way.

Currently jscalendar has "description" and "descriptionContentType" 
properties.

I suggest we make this multi-valued with a "Description" object with 
"content" and "contentType" fields.

HTML has been asked for for many years but some clients need a plain 
text version. Eventpub also added a DERIVED parameter to flag which copy 
was the real source.

---

From: "Robert Stepanek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:18:18 +0200

> "content" and "contentType" fields.

With multi-valued descriptions (and the already supported Link.cid property) we are getting close to a MIME multipart/alternative. If we conclude to add this, then we should still keep the content types restricted to subtypes of "text", and we should only allow a single description for a given subtype. In practice, that means html and plain text descriptions.

I guess we'll address this also in the IETF calext session tomorrow.

Cheers,
Robert

---

From: Michael Douglass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:42:03 -0400

On 7/30/20 07:18, Robert Stepanek wrote:
> With multi-valued descriptions (and the already supported Link.cid 
> property) we are getting close to a MIME multipart/alternative. If we 
> conclude to add this, then we should still keep the content types 
> restricted to subtypes of "text", and we should only allow a single 
> description for a given subtype. In practice, that means html and 
> plain text descriptions.

That seems fine to me. The issue we wanted to resolve was the appearance 
of html descriptions and the need to also have a plain text alternative.

As you suggest - in the future any other related content can be 
addressed by links

> _______________________________________________
> calsify mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify

---

From: "Neil Jenkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:52:56 +1000

I seem to recall discussing this at CalConnect a while back and the conclusion was no one hand wrote both HTML + plain text versions and the client can do just as good a job of autoconverting HTML; given people already shove HTML into iCalendar DESCRIPTION despite it definitely not being allowed, I'd rather keep what we have, which is simpler than some kind of multi-valued thing.

Neil.

---

From: "Robert Stepanek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:21:07 +0200

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 3:52 AM, Neil Jenkins wrote:
> I seem to recall discussing this at CalConnect a while back and the conclusion was no one hand wrote both HTML + plain text versions and the client can do just as good a job of autoconverting HTML

This is also what I recall from CalConnect XLIV in Zurich in 2019.