Subject: [calsify] Getting started with the calendar persistence format

From: Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 03:51:29 +0530

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the amazing discussions and help yesterday. Given our
constrained timeline, I suppose I should start working on the drafts
immediately.

On the IETF side of things, I suppose I'd need to start by creating an
I-D? Is there a set of resources you could point me to in order to get
up and running quickly?

Also, what should I do to get the ball rolling on the CalConnect/ISO
side of things?

Best,
Ujjwal

-- 
Ujjwal "Ryzokuken" Sharma (he/him)

Compilers Hacker, Node.js Core Collaborator and Speaker

---

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 11:26:54 +1100

Hi Ujjwal,

There's a variety of options for writing drafts.  I personally use a workflow based on mmark, for example:

https://github.com/brong/draft-gondwana-effective-terminology

There's also metanorma, which allows you to create a variety of outputs.  There's documentation here:

https://www.metanorma.com/author/ietf/

Or you can use tools like:

https://github.com/cabo/kramdown-rfc2629

Basically, they're all toolchains that generate RFC XML format documents.

In order to publish to the IETF, you need a datatracker account, and you'll need to upload there:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/submit/tool-instructions/

Cheers,

Bron.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, at 09:21, Ujjwal Sharma wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> calsify mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify
> 
> 
> *Attachments:*
>  * signature.asc

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]

---

From: Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 06:55:22 +0530

Thanks for the quick response, Bron!

Looks like I'd need to request a datatracker account. Is it open to all potential contributors or are there any special requirements?

Ujjwal

Compilers Hacker at Igalia, Node.js Core Collaborator, International Speaker

---

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 13:00:07 +1100

No special requirements!  It's open to everyone.

Cheers,

Bron.

---

From: Ronald Tse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 04:15:33 +0000

Hi Ujjwal,

(Thanks Bron for the plug!)

Metanorma is one of the officially listed processors for IETF documents (alongside mmark and kramdown-rfc2629).

CalConnect uses Metanorma to publish standards, and a number of SDOs do so as well (ITU, OGC, BIPM, who also work with date/time).

If there is any intention to cross-publish into CalConnect or ISO, the ability to "write once, publish anywhere” becomes important.

Given that we’re the folks behind it, I’m happy to serve as your personal support if you run into any Metanorma problems :-)

Kind regards,
Ron
_____________________________________

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 16, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Ujjwal,

Cheers,

Bron.

Best,
Ujjwal

_______________________________________________
calsify mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify

Attachments:

  *   signature.asc

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
calsify mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify

---

From: Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 03:39:03 +0530

Hi Ronald!

Thanks for the suggestion. Write once, publish anywhere (although
perhaps with minimal changes) is indeed a priority, especially given our
time constraints. I tried setting up metanorma today, but for some
reason, it fails for me locally.

My input:

metanorma --type rfc3 draft-ryzokuken-timestamp-information.adoc

Error:

Error: loading gem `metanorma-rfc3` failed. Exiting.

This works with or without `-x xmlrfc`. What seems to be wrong here? Am
I missing a gem? A simple web search doesn't return anything useful, and
no gem named `metanorma-rfc3` can be found.

I thought there was something wrong with my setup, but I tried multiple
times, ran `metanorma setup` properly, tried the docker version, but no
luck. The same error each time. Could you help me figure out what I missed?

Best,
Ujjwal

On 10/16/20 9:45 AM, Ronald Tse wrote:
> CalConnect uses Metanorma to publish standards, and a number of SDOs do
> so as well (ITU, OGC, BIPM, who also work with date/time).
> 
> If there is any intention to cross-publish into CalConnect or ISO, the
> ability to "write once, publish anywhere” becomes important.
> 
> Given that we’re the folks behind it, I’m happy to serve as your
> personal support if you run into any Metanorma problems :-)
> 
> Kind regards,
> Ron
>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>   [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>
>>
>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Ronald Tse <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 23:30:33 +0000

Hi Ujjwal,

Would you be able to point me to the draft to see what the problem is?

Here’s a sample document that works:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/metanorma/mn-samples-ietf/master/sources/antioch/document.adoc

(https://github.com/metanorma/mn-samples-ietf provides working examples)

If you have these two lines in your adoc file header (under the title but before the content, which is separated with a blank line):

"
:mn-document-class: ietf
:mn-output-extensions: rfc,xml,txt,html,rxl
“

Then you should be able to just run this:
metanorma draft-ryzokuken-timestamp-information.adoc

Ron

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 6:09 AM, Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Ronald!

My input:

Error:

Best,
Ujjwal

Metanorma is one of the officially listed processors for IETF documents
(alongside mmark and kramdown-rfc2629).

Kind regards,
Ron

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 16, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Ujjwal,

There's a variety of options for writing drafts.  I personally use a
workflow based on mmark, for example:

There's also metanorma, which allows you to create a variety of
outputs.  There's documentation here:

In order to publish to the IETF, you need a datatracker account, and
you'll need to upload there:

Cheers,

Bron.

Best,
Ujjwal

_______________________________________________
calsify mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify

*Attachments:*

 * signature.asc

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
calsify mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/calsify

---

From: Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 06:56:00 +0530

Hey Ronald!

I managed to get it running. The document I was using was the same that
you linked to, and it seems that while the file works quite well with
just `metanorma`, the command on the docs website (`metanorma --type
{rfc2 or rfc3} -x xmlrfc {my-document-filename.adoc}`) needs to be
fixed. `--type` is `ietf` and `--extensions` is... well, not `xmlrfc`. I
would try to make a PR to the website later if this all sounds good.

One last thing I need to get started for real: where can I find the
source for RFC 3339 (since I was supposed to use that as a starting
point)? Is there a source at all? If that source is not in asciidoc
format (I'd imagine not), is copying manually from the text file the
best I can do?

Cheers,
Ujjwal

On 10/20/20 5:00 AM, Ronald Tse wrote:
> If you have these two lines in your adoc file header (under the title
> but before the content, which is separated with a blank line):
> 
> "
> :mn-document-class: ietf
>>>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>>> <mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Ronald Tse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 02:19:43 +0000

Hi Ujjwal,

So sorry about the docs! Apparently they haven’t been updated to the new version — IETF a few months ago switched to XML RFC v3 and the command line options for IETF have been updated. We have a blog post about the changes but we didn’t actually update the docs.

A PR would be much appreciated!

Re: RFC 3339, will send you the asciidoc version in 20 mins...

Ron

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hey Ronald!

Cheers,
Ujjwal

"
:mn-document-class: ietf

Ron

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 6:09 AM, Ujjwal Sharma <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Ronald!

My input:

Error:

I thought there was something wrong with my setup, but I tried multiple
times, ran `metanorma setup` properly, tried the docker version, but no
luck. The same error each time. Could you help me figure out what I
missed?

Best,
Ujjwal

Kind regards,
Ron

Ronald Tse
Ribose Inc.

On Oct 16, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>
<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hi Ujjwal,

Basically, they're all toolchains that generate RFC XML format
documents.

Cheers,

Bron.

Best,
Ujjwal

*Attachments:*

 * signature.asc