Subject: RE: [Capwap] Comments on draft-ietf-capwap-arch-03.txt

From: "Pat R. Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:29:29 -0700

> 7. Section 4.5. Could the authors please explain how they came to the
conclusion that Remote MAC "improves 
> WTP manageability"?

If I can proffer an explanation; the characteristics of Remote MAC
follow from those of the Split MAC architecture. The Split MAC improves
manageability over basic autonomous WTPs by centralizing some control
aspects; Remote MAC goes further by centralizing 'all' aspects of the
MAC. So the entire MAC processing is consolidated while the WTPs become
extremely light devices. 

<PRC> But one of the "advantages" of a centralized architecture, is that the
WTP look like "local interfaces", and are managed as such. Whether one implements
remote or split MAC does not really change how one would manage such a network - 
so it's really down to implementation details.

<PRC> So as a consequence I disagree with the assumption (and statement) made
in the document

PatC

---

From: "Cheng Hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:28:07 +0800

Hi Pat,

I think the point is that with a centralized arch. you have more information
about the network, i.e. at the centralized controller you have a overall
view of the network instead of just the AP point of view. Therefore, more
"value added" service could be provided. One simple example is that the SME
could make better decisions with info from several AP.

cheers

Cheng Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Pat R. Calhoun
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 10:29 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] Comments on draft-ietf-capwap-arch-03.txt

<PRC> But one of the "advantages" of a centralized architecture, is that the
WTP look like "local interfaces", and are managed as such. Whether one
implements
remote or split MAC does not really change how one would manage such a
network -
so it's really down to implementation details.

<PRC> So as a consequence I disagree with the assumption (and statement)
made
in the document

PatC 

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap