Subject: RE: [Capwap] Protocol name

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:47:41 -0700

Bob,

The protocol name has come up
a. on the one hand we hear some wanting to go with the baseline
protocol's name (LWAPP) and
b. on the other hand some others leaning towards naming the protocol to
reflect close to the identity of the WG:

1.	contribution and analysis of the CAPWAP protocol objectives and
evaluation leading to ensuing recommended changes to its features
2.	name distinct from LWAPP would better distinguish the CAPWAP
standard from the baseline (or prior ones already in the market)
3.	The need to distinguish this protocol standard-to-be from what
is already discussed in context of the selected baseline protocol and
used in the market.
4. To eliminate confusion this has to do with light-weight APs only -
and what that means by now.

Here's what is proposed:

The protocol going forward will go under the name of CAPWAP for the
upcoming revision. If we find the WG coming up with any other
appropriate name later we may revisit. However, we would not encourage
lingering on naming too long.

That said, there will not be any contest or 'voting' to start another
protracted distraction.

To acknowledge history of the baseline protocol chosen (LWAPP) name is
in the evaluation draft and may optionally be noted on that in the
protocol draft as well.

-mani
======
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob O'Hara (boohara) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] Protocol name

I have seen only two emails objecting to the use of LWAPP as the name
for the protocol developed by the CAPWAP WG, since the thread was
started last year.  I believe that this indicates the consensus of the
WG is that "LWAPP" is the agreed upon name of the protocol.  Is there
any further disagreement?

 -Bob

Bob O'Hara
Cisco Systems - WNBU

Phone:  +1 408 853 5513
Mobile: +1 408 218 4025
 
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:59:35 -0800

Mani,

This sounds like an excellent plan.

            jak

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bob O'Hara (boohara)" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:47 AM
Subject: RE: [Capwap] Protocol name

Bob,

Here's what is proposed:

-mani
======
-----Original Message-----
From: Bob O'Hara (boohara) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] Protocol name

 -Bob

Bob O'Hara
Cisco Systems - WNBU

Phone:  +1 408 853 5513
Mobile: +1 408 218 4025