Subject: [Capwap] Should be able to Read Back Information Set from the AC

From: Philip Rakity <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:29:55 -0800

There is a general problem that one cannot read information that the  
AC sets from the AP.
For example the SSID and perhaps other fields.

This makes debugging difficult and in general is not a good idea.   
For each mesage element
such as  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN there should be a corresponding get.

Philip Rakity
[email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: Darren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:05:05 -0700

A few thoughts here...  these are probably related to issue #58, "Need
to rename Config Request and Config Update Request"

I think Phillip's point is explained by the two options presented in
section 7.1.  Is there something missing?  Relying on defaults in this
way is a pretty good way to scale configuration.

However, while confirming this all for myself.  I did run across
something a little confusing to me.

Section 2.2's description of the "Join-Confirm to Configure (2)" state
refers to section 7.2.  Section 7.2 states that the WTP sends a
configuration request to the AC.  The section then refers to the
binding specific section for the details of what should be in the WTP
initiated configuration request. I assume this is an implicit
reference to section 11.9.

When I first went through it though I started reading the binding
specific Configuration Request message (11.8).  This message is
described as being initiated by the AC.  Shouldn't 11.8 be named the
Configuration Update message?  Or maybe I am missing something. It was
a bit confusing for me.  :)

If there is concern about how long the configure state might take,
perhaps we could look at a configuration versioning method as
described in the evaluation draft section 6.4.  But I think this is
something that can wait for a future version of capwap.

-Darren