Subject: [Capwap] RE: PMK Sharing

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:25:33 -0800

Issue 42 created, although there is no agreement to make this change at
this time.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Saravanan Govindan
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:40 PM
	To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); [email-masked]
	Subject: PMK Sharing

	Pat,

	Issue:

	In the case of an AC managing a same PMK across many WTPs, IEEE
802.11 stations cannot distinguish between PMKs that are validly shared
and those that have been compromised (I0 of Issues/Recommendations).

	My recommendation:

	Include text in the Security Considerations
(draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-03.txt) Section 15 along the lines;

	"The CAPWAP protocol may be used in scenarios in which an AC
manages a PMK across many WTPs. In such scenarios, IEEE 802.11 stations
moving across WTPs cannot distinguish between PMKs that are legitimately
shared and PMKs that have been compromised. 

	The CAPWAP WG recognizes this ambiguity and recommends
implementers of the protocol to review the outcome of IEEE 802.11r
efforts for resolution."

	Saravanan 

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap