Subject: [Capwap] About "WTP Serial Number"

From: zhaoyujin 31390 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:22:28 +0500

Hi all:

  I suggestion:

    In "5.1.2  WTP Descriptor", we add field "WTP Serial Number" as following:

5.1.2  WTP Descriptor

   The WTP descriptor message element is used by the WTP to communicate
   it's current hardware/firmware configuration.  The value contains the
   following fields.

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                      Hardware   Version                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                      Software   Version                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                          Boot   Version                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |   Max Radios  | Radios in use |    Encryption Capabilities    |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                      WTP Serial Number ...                    |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type:  3 for WTP Descriptor

   Length:  16

   Hardware Version:  A 32-bit integer representing the WTP's hardware
      version number

   Software Version:  A 32-bit integer representing the WTP's Firmware
      version number

   Boot Version:  A 32-bit integer representing the WTP's boot loader's
      version number

   Max Radios:  An 8-bit value representing the number of radios (where
      each radio is identified via the RID field) supported by the WTP

   Radios in use:  An 8-bit value representing the number of radios
      present in the WTP

   Encryption Capabilities:  This 16-bit field is used by the WTP to
      communicate it's capabilities to the AC.  Since most WTPs support
      link layer encryption, the AC may make use of these services.
      There are binding dependent encryption capabilites.  An WTP that
      does not have any encryption capabilities would set this field to
      zero (0).  Refer to the specific binding for the specification.

   WTP Serial Number:  24 byte WTP Serial Number.

If LWAPP provides this message, AC can decide if response the AP discovery request. This feature will help for AP management.

If there is no this field, only in "7.2  Configure Request" includes "WTP Serial Number". In fact, AC maybe does not exist configuration for this AP. But before check this, LWAPP had negotiated many cotrol packets which wastes system resource.

Best regards
Michael

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:55:46 -0800

I've created issue 71.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

> -----Original Message-----
> From: zhaoyujin 31390 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:22 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Capwap] About "WTP Serial Number"
> 
> Hi all:
> 
>   I suggestion:
> 
> If LWAPP provides this message, AC can decide if response the 
> AP discovery request. This feature will help for AP management.
> 
> If there is no this field, only in "7.2  Configure Request" 
> includes "WTP Serial Number". In fact, AC maybe does not 
> exist configuration for this AP. But before check this, LWAPP 
> had negotiated many cotrol packets which wastes system resource.
> 
> Best regards
> Michael
> 
>