Subject: [Capwap] Addition to MIB issue

From: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:10:42 +0800

Hi Pat,

I refer to the issue on "Using MIB variable names instead" on the issue
tracker. In addition to using MIBs, there is also a need for the
protocol to define its own statistics and configuration items. Such
items can be used for functionalities that include congestion
monitoring, feedback etc.

Thus I will like to recommend to include the definition of the
protocol's own statistics and configuration items and that one of these
statistics items to be used for congestion control and feedback.

Thanks and regards

Richard

________________________________

From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] Done w/ Issue Tracker

All,

I believe that I've entered all entries posted to the list after
November 1st. If you have any change requests on the list prior to that
date, please forward them to me.

The issue tracker can be found at www.capwap.org. Please note that if
you search with no filters, you will find both open and resolved bugs. A
normal "Show All" does not display the resolved issues.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922
. www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 . 
>From March 2006, we will be located in our new home at 9 Woodlands Avenue 9, Singapore 738964. Republic Polytechnic, the first Institute of Higher Learning to fully adopt the Problem-Based Learning approach in Singapore, continues to strive towards best practices and maintain excellence in service standards with the following certifications: Singapore Innovation Class (SIC), Singapore Quality Class (SQC), People Developer Standards and QEHS (ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank you.  

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:37:45 -0800

Richard,
 
Sorry, you've lost me, but the original request was to provide a pointer
of some form to the IEEE MIB variables.

Pat Calhoun

	From: Richard Gwee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:11 PM
	To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); [email-masked]
	Subject: [Capwap] Addition to MIB issue

	Hi Pat,

	I refer to the issue on "Using MIB variable names instead" on
the issue tracker. In addition to using MIBs, there is also a need for
the protocol to define its own statistics and configuration items. Such
items can be used for functionalities that include congestion
monitoring, feedback etc.

	Thanks and regards

	Richard

	All,

	The issue tracker can be found at www.capwap.org. Please note
that if you search with no filters, you will find both open and resolved
bugs. A normal "Show All" does not display the resolved issues.

	Pat Calhoun

	

Republic Polytechnic, Tanglin Campus, 1 Kay Siang Road, Singapore 248922
. www.rp.sg <http://www.rp.sg>  . Fax: +65 6415-1310 . 
 From March 2006, we will be located in our new home at 9 Woodlands
Avenue 9, Singapore 738964.

Republic Polytechnic, the first Institute of Higher Learning to fully
adopt the Problem-Based Learning approach in Singapore, continues to
strive towards best practices and maintain excellence in service
standards with the following certifications: Singapore Innovation Class
(SIC), Singapore Quality Class (SQC), People Developer Standards and
QEHS (ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001)

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains
information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of
this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return
email and delete the original message. Thank you.

---

From: "Richard Gwee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:54:49 +0800

Hi Pat,

I am sorry over the confusion. In this case, can you create an issue
thread?

Issue: There exists a need for the CAPWAP protocol to define its own
current statistics and configuration items. It will be good if the
definition of such items can be explicitly stated at a sufficient level.
Functionalities for the use of such items should be considered such as
QoS monitoring, security purposes, congestion control, feedback for
example. To a certain extent, this can help to improve the performance
of the CAPWAP protocol.

Recommendation: To include definition of the protocol's own definition
of configuration and statistics items. To also include the purpose of
these items in the area of monitoring purposes, security purposes,
congestion control, feedback etc.

Thanks and regards

Richard

From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:38 AM
To: Richard Gwee; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] Addition to MIB issue

Richard,

Pat Calhoun

	Hi Pat,

	Thanks and regards

	Richard

	All,

	Pat Calhoun

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:11:39 +0200

In other words, are you talking about defining a MIB? A SMIv2 definition
of the management objects (for 'monitoring purposes, security purposes,
congestion control, feedback etc') could be used either in-band with
CAPWAP or out-of-band with SNMP.
 
I would like to observe that the WG has a chartered item for the
definition of a MIB module. It should go to WGLC this month actually.
The chairs would probably ask for a time extension. 
 
Regards,
 
Dan

  _____  

	From: Richard Gwee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:55 PM
	To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [Capwap] Addition to MIB issue

	Hi Pat,

	I am sorry over the confusion. In this case, can you create an
issue thread?

	Issue: There exists a need for the CAPWAP protocol to define its
own current statistics and configuration items. It will be good if the
definition of such items can be explicitly stated at a sufficient level.
Functionalities for the use of such items should be considered such as
QoS monitoring, security purposes, congestion control, feedback for
example. To a certain extent, this can help to improve the performance
of the CAPWAP protocol.

	Recommendation: To include definition of the protocol's own
definition of configuration and statistics items. To also include the
purpose of these items in the area of monitoring purposes, security
purposes, congestion control, feedback etc.

	Thanks and regards

	Richard

  _____  

	Richard,

	Sorry, you've lost me, but the original request was to provide a
pointer of some form to the IEEE MIB variables.

	Pat Calhoun

  _____  

		Hi Pat,

		I refer to the issue on "Using MIB variable names
instead" on the issue tracker. In addition to using MIBs, there is also
a need for the protocol to define its own statistics and configuration
items. Such items can be used for functionalities that include
congestion monitoring, feedback etc.

		Thus I will like to recommend to include the definition
of the protocol's own statistics and configuration items and that one of
these statistics items to be used for congestion control and feedback.

		Thanks and regards

		Richard

  _____  

		All,

		I believe that I've entered all entries posted to the
list after November 1st. If you have any change requests on the list
prior to that date, please forward them to me.

		The issue tracker can be found at www.capwap.org. Please
note that if you search with no filters, you will find both open and
resolved bugs. A normal "Show All" does not display the resolved issues.

		Pat Calhoun

  _____  

  _____