Subject: [Capwap] lwapp-dtls: state machine question 3

From: Scott G Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 06:15:48 -0800

>    DTLS-Init to DTLS-Complete (z): This state is used to indicate DTLS
>    session establishment.
> 
>       WTP: This state is entered when the WTP and AC complete DTLS
>       negotiation.
> 
>       AC: This state is entered when the WTP and AC complete DTLS
>       negotiation.
> [NCW] Under what conditions does DTLS-Init return to the idle state?
 >  This needs to be described.  There are error conditions that have
 > to be reflected and described for DTLS as TLS records may fail and
 > in general, the authentication may fail for different reasons which
 > should also be described in this draft.

Any handshake failure returns the lwapp to the idle state. General 
record failures result in dropped messages, and how lwapp finds out 
about this is probably implementation specific (as described in a 
response to one of Sue's questions). Should we add text here describing 
how lwapp responds to errors, or does that belong in lwapp proper?

> [NCW] Why does the state diagram show a DTLS-Init to Image data?
 > It appears that the DTLS session establishment has not completed
 > until the DTLS-Complete state is reached.  Jumping to Image Data
 > from DTLS-Init is a security violation as that allows WTP
 > image updates without a proper security association.

This was intended to provide an upgrade path (and signed images was 
assumed), but per an earlier list discussion, this will be removed.

Scott

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap