Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 118: Change AC Descriptor SW/HW version formats

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:44:46 -0700

Below is my proposed text for issue. Note that I made an additional
change to the draft to the WTP Descriptor section, which had the new
format, but still required 32 bits for the HW, SW and boot version
numbers. These fields are now variable length.

Comments welcomed.

4.4.1.  AC Descriptor

   The AC payload message element is used by the AC to communicate it's
   current state.  The value contains the following fields.

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            Stations           |             Limit             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |          Active WTPs          |            Max WTPs           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |    Security   |  R-MAC Field  |Wireless Field |   Reserved    |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                       Vendor Identifier                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |         Type=4                 |             Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                          Value...
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                       Vendor Identifier                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |         Type=5                 |             Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                          Value...
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type:  1 for AC Descriptor

   Length:  18

   Stations:  The number of mobile stations currently associated with
      the AC

   Limit:  The maximum number of stations supported by the AC

   Active WTPs:  The number of WTPs currently attached to the AC

   Max WTPs:  The maximum number of WTPs supported by the AC

   Security:  A 8 bit bit mask specifying the authentication credential
      type supported by the AC.  The following values are supported (see
      Section 2.4.4):

      1 - X.509 Certificate Based

      2 - Pre-Shared Secret

   R-MAC Field:  The AC supports the optional Radio MAC Address field in
      the CAPWAP transport Header (see Section 4.1).

   Wireless Field:  The AC supports the optional Wireless Specific
      Information field in the CAPWAP transport Header (see Section
4.1).

   Reserved: MUST be set to zero.

   Vendor Identifier:  A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes"

   Type:  Vendor specific encoding of AC information.  The following
      values are supported.  The Hardware and Software Version values
      MUST be included.

      4 - Hardware Version:  The AC's hardware version number.

      5 - Software Version:  The AC's Firmware version number.

   Length:  Length of vendor specific encoding of AC information.

   Value:  Vendor specific encoding of AC information.

[...]

4.4.34.  WTP Descriptor
[...]
   Vendor Identifier:  A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes"

   Type:  The following values are supported.  The Hardware Version,
      Software Version, and Boot Version values MUST be included.

      0 - WTP Model Number:  The WTP Model Number MUST be included in
         the WTP Board Data message element.

      1 - WTP Serial Number:  The WTP Serial Number MUST be included in
         the WTP Board Data message element.

      2 - Board ID:  A hardware identifier, which MAY be included in the
         WTP Board Data mesage element.

      3 - Board Revision  A revision number of the board, which MAY be
         included in the WTP Board Data message element.

      4 - Hardware Version:  The WTP's hardware version number.

      5 - Software Version:  The WTP's Firmware version number.

      6 - Boot Version:  The WTP's boot loader's version number.

   Length:  Length of vendor specific encoding of WTP information.

   Value:  Vendor specific encoding of WTP information. 

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap