Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 83: RADIUS protocol handling for CAPWAP local and split MAC modes

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 08:54:46 -0700

All,

I believe that there has been significant discussion around issue 83,
and in the end the general consensus appeared to be to reject this
request. However, I believe that by adding a single sentence in two
place, we've eliminated the possibility for mis-understanding where the
AAA (e.g., RADIUS) client resides. The new sentences are at the bottom
of both block of text (which are included for context).

11.1.1.  Split MAC
[...]

       802.11i
            802.1X/EAP                                AC
            RSNA Key Management                       AC
            802.11 Encryption/Decryption              WTP/AC

   Figure 4: Mapping of 802.11 Functions for Split MAC Architecture

   The Distribution and Integration services reside on the AC, and
   therefore all user data is tunneled between the WTP and the AC.  As
   noted above, all real-time IEEE 802.11 services, including the beacon
   and probe response frames, are handled on the WTP.

   All remaining IEEE 802.11 MAC management frames are supported on the
   AC, including the Association Request which allows the AC to be
   involved in the access policy enforcement portion of the IEEE 802.11
   protocol.  The IEEE 802.1X and IEEE 802.11i key management function
   are also located on the AC.  This implies that the AAA client also
<==== NEW SENTENCE!!!!!
   resides on the AC. 
[...]

11.1.2.  Local MAC
[...]
       802.11i
            802.1X/EAP                                AC
            RSNA Key Management                       AC
            802.11 Encryption/Decryption              WTP

   Figure 6: Mapping of 802.11 Functions for Local AP Architecture

   Given the Distribution and Integration Services exist on the WTP,
   client data frames are not forwarded to the AC, with the exception
   listed in the following paragraphs.

   While the MAC is terminated on the WTP, it is necessary for the AC to
   be aware of mobility events within the WTPs.  As a consequence, the
   WTP MUST forward the IEEE 802.11 Association Requests to the AC, and
   the AC MAY reply with a failed Association Response if it deems it
   necessary.

   The IEEE 802.1X and RSNA Key Management function resides in the AC.
   Therefore, the WTP MUST forward all IEEE 802.1X/RSNA Key Management
   frames to the AC and forward the associated responses to the station.
   This implies that the AAA client also resides on the AC.
<==== NEW SENTENCE!!!!!!

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap