Subject: [Capwap] some questions

From: "Annarita Levanti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 22:27:07 +0200

Reading the new version of capwap, in particular IEEE 802.11 binding I don't understand what can be considered as "802.11 Action frame" and, referred to the split mac, if a WTP can forward to AC also data packets, that is 802.11 payloads of mobile users, or also other 802.11 traffic.

I think maybe a WTP could forward beacons of others WTP to its AC, in this way the AC can know which access point are listening from the WTP and, for example, can assign a different frequency to the WTP in order to reduce interference in the network.

Please, someone could help me?

Thanks.

Annarita Levanti 

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:29:34 -0700

> Reading the new version of capwap, in particular IEEE 802.11 binding I

> don't understand what can be considered as
> "802.11 Action frame" and, referred to the split mac, if a WTP can 
> forward to AC also data packets, that is 802.11 payloads of mobile
users, or also other 802.11 traffic.

An 802.11 action frame is a management frame that is defined in the
802.11 standard. In the split MAC case, the action frames are forwarded
to the AC - just like the other management frames.

> I think maybe a WTP could forward beacons of others WTP to its AC, in 
> this way the AC can know which access point are listening from the WTP

> and, for example, can assign a different frequency to the WTP in order
to reduce interference in the network.
Well, one could do this, but I think this could be a tad overwhelming
for the AC as beacons are generated every 100ms. 

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems