Subject: RE: [Capwap] BSSID-WLAN mappings

From: "Jeff Joslin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 15:14:15 -0400

> From: Charles Clancy [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Adding support fro M-SSID would cause all broadcast traffic on the
same
> WTP to be visible to all devices, and this is both a security problem,
> and a protocol problem.  It's a security problem because you have data
> being leaked between WLANs, and it's a problem for upper-layer
protocols
> because they may discover each other via broadcasts, but then not be
> able to actually communicate via unicast.

That last point is not just a theoretical concern. I have seen a WLAN
using M-SSID where a client's DHCP Discover was received by the wrong
DHCP Server, and that server responded via broadcast, and the client
received the Offer even though it's for a different network (SSID,
VLAN). 

I was the one who pointed out how M-SSID is implemented in practice. I
was not suggesting that it was anything other than a bad idea.

Jeff

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap