Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 66: Unclear how Clear Config Indication is acknowledged

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:20:28 -0700

All,

The author of this issue had a point that the AC had no way to know
whether the WTP had reset its configuration back to manufacturing
defaults. There was an assumption made that the acknowledgement layer
would provide the explicit ack, but this is a clear violation of layers.
So I've changed the message from an indication to a req/response,
consistent with the rest of the protocol. 

Below are my changes, which are few, but I am including context as well.

2.3.  CAPWAP State Machine Definition
[...]
   Run to Run (n): This is the normal state of operation.

      WTP: This is the WTP's normal state of operation.  There are many
         events that result this state transition:
[...]
         Clear Config Request: The WTP receives a Clear Config Request
<==== CHANGED!!!
            message (see Section 8.8).  The WTP MUST reset its
            configuration back to manufacturer defaults.
[...]
      AC: This is the AC's normal state of operation:
[...]
         Clear Config Response: The AC receives a Clear Config Response
<==== NEW!!!
            message (see Section 8.9).
[...]

4.3.1.1.  Message Type
[...]
   The valid values for base CAPWAP Message Types are given in the table
   below:
[...]
           Data Transfer Response              22
           Clear Config Request                24    <==== CHANGED!!!
           Clear Config Response               25    <==== NEW!!!
           Mobile Config Request               26 
[...]
8.8.  Clear Config Request    <==== CHANGED text in section!!!

   The Clear Config Request message is used to reset a WTP's
   configuration.

   The Clear Config Request message is sent by an AC to request that a
   WTP reset its configuration to the manufacturing default
   configuration.  The Clear Config Request message is sent while in the
   Run CAPWAP state.

   The Clear Config Request message carries no message elements.

   When a WTP receives a Clear Config Request message it resets its
   configuration to the manufacturing default configuration.

8.9.  Clear Config Response    <==== NEW SECTION!!!

   The Clear Config Response message is sent by the WTP after receiving
   a Clear Config request and resetting its configuration parameters
   back to the manufacturing default values.

   The Clear Config Request message carries the message elements.

   o  Result Code, see Section 4.4.29

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap