Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Text for Issue 123: Error in remove capability field in Add/Update WLAN

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:19:49 -0700

As previously mentioned, there was a misunderstanding in the capability
field, as folks were under the impression this was the Power Capability
Information Element, when it was really the Capability Information
Field, of which no IE exists. This field needed to be added back in the
IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN and IEEE 802.11 Update WLAN message elements, which
I am including below.
 
Comments welcomed.

11.10.1.  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN

   The Add WLAN message element is used by the AC to define a wireless
   LAN on the WTP.  The inclusion of this message element MUST also
   include IEEE 802.11 Information Element message elements, containing
   the following 802.11 IEs:

   Power Capability information element

[...]

        0                   1                   2                   3
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |    Radio ID   |    WLAN ID    |          Capabilities         |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                      Encryption Policy                        |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                               Key                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[...]
   Capability:  A 16-bit value containing the capabilities information
      field to be advertised by the WTP within the Probe and Beacon
      messages. 

[...]
 
11.10.20.  IEEE 802.11 Update WLAN

   The Update WLAN message element is used by the AC to define a
   wireless LAN on the WTP.  The inclusion of this message element MUST
   also include the IEEE 802.11 Information Element message element,
   containing the following 802.11 IEs:

   Power Capability information element

[...]

        0                   1                   2                   3
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |    Radio ID   |     WLAN ID   |           Capability          |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                       Encryption Policy                       |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |                             Key ...                           |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |   Key Index   |   Shared Key  |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[...]

   Capability:  A 16-bit value containing the capabilities information
      field to be advertised by the WTP within the Probe and Beacon
      messages.
[...]

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap