Subject: [Capwap] Issue 148, "Binding Element for Scanning Report" - Propose to Defer

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:36:43 -0800

All,

Issue 148 is listed below:

As scanning is part of MAC protocol should there be a TLV to send that report
from WTP to AC? Because for RF solutions WTP need to perform scanning and
analyze that data. Currently for these solutions vendors have proprietary
algorithms. Should the data collection part be standardized? (The data
interpretation can remain vendor specific).

This will help in achieving greater interoperability, as AC can collect data
and statistics from different vendor's WTPs but the algorithms and solution to
analyze them can still remain proprietary

In this regard should CAPWAP provide the binding for sending scanning
report/statistics from WTP to AC?

Proposed resolution: Add to the "Wish" category, and defer to a future
version of the
CAPWAP IEEE 802.11 binding document. Reports of Scan results are being
incorporated in the IEEE 802.11k Beacon report, which is in the
process of being standardized.

Comments welcome,

Thanks,

Dorothy
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:34:24 -0800

agreed

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Dorothy Stanley [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 2:37 PM
	To: capwap
	Subject: [Capwap] Issue 148,"Binding Element for Scanning
Report" - Propose to Defer

	All,

	As scanning is part of MAC protocol should there be a TLV to
send that report 
	from WTP to AC? Because for RF solutions WTP need to perform
scanning and 
	analyze that data. Currently for these solutions vendors have
proprietary 
	
	algorithms. Should the data collection part be standardized?
(The data 
	interpretation can remain vendor specific).
	 
	This will help in achieving greater interoperability, as AC can
collect data 
	and statistics from different vendor's WTPs but the algorithms
and solution to 

	In this regard should CAPWAP provide the binding for sending
scanning 
	report/statistics from WTP to AC?

	Proposed resolution: Add to the "Wish" category, and defer to a
future version of the
	CAPWAP IEEE 802.11 binding document. Reports of Scan results are
being
	incorporated in the IEEE 802.11k Beacon report, which is in the
	process of being standardized. 

	Comments welcome,
	
	Thanks,
	
	Dorothy