Subject: [Capwap] Issue 191: Clear Config Request. this operation has several problems

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:47:38 -0800

I wanted to respond once more to the list of sub-issues in issue 191.
 
44) Clear Config Request. this operation has several problems, which
include:
   1) currently, the CAPWAP-01 spec says that this can only be done in
the "run" state. This is silly. It should also be possible in the
"configure" state.
<PRC> I wonder why the AC would even consider clearing the WTP's state
before it even knows how it is configured. I do not believe this needs
to
be addressed.

   2) the value of "manufacturing defaults" is not defined, and a poor
term to use, since it implies that that each manufacturer can have
different values. If so, then the AC will have no knowledge of the
config on the WTP! The problem of "default config values" has already be
mentioned above. After each config attribute has been defined with a
default value, then the proper term would be "CAPWAP config defaults".
<PRC> The latest spec ensure that default values are defined for all
fields. I believe this has been addressed.

   3) This operation is not defined to have a response. This is broken,
since any config change can fail. Also, it is not defined what happens
next. Does this cause the WTP to reboot an start a "clean discovery"?
<PRC> This is essentially a duplicate of issue 73. Proposed text has
already been provided.

Given the above, I propose we reject this issue.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap