Subject: [Capwap] Enterprise numbers

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:18:18 +0200

The current (04) version uses in an inconsistent manner the SMI Private
Enterprise Numbers i.e. three octets in one place and four octets in
four other places. 

In section 4.4.4.1:

   The Message Type field identifies the function of the CAPWAP control
   message.  The Message Type field is comprised of an IANA Enterprise
   Number and an enterprise specific message type number.  The first
   three octets is the enterprise number in network byte order, with
   zero being used for CAPWAP generic message types and the IEEE 802.11
   IANA assigned enterprise number 13277 being used for IEEE 802.11
   technology specific message types.  The last octet is the enterprise
   specific message type number, which has a range from 0 to 255.  The
   message type field can be expressed as:

Message Type = IANA Enterprise Number * 256 + enterprise specific
message type number

Section 4.5.1 includes: 

   Vendor Identifier:   A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes"

Section 4.5.35 includes: 

   Vendor Identifier:   A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes" [13]

Section 4.5.36: 

   Vendor Identifier:   A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes"

Section 4.5.37:

   Vendor Identifier:   A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI
      Network Management Private Enterprise Codes"

Actually capwap is inheriting an inconsistency from the usage of the
codes in the industry but I believe that at least consistency needs to
be reached within the document. 

Dan

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap