Subject: [Capwap] Radio Administative and Operational state

From: "Peter Nilsson J (LI/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:55:58 +0100

I am a bit confused about how the Radio Administrativ State and Radio
Operational State message elements are used in the Spec.

First of all the only message in which Radio Administrative State is
sent is in the Configuration Status message from the WTP
It is not listed in either Configuration Status Response nor
Configuration Update Request which means that the AC can not change it.

Does Radio Administrative State have to carry a cause value. It looks to
me that is suppose to be use to convey the "Wanted/Configured" state of
the Radio.
The Radio Operational State with cause value in a Change State Event
Request would convey a changed state caused by some failure in the
Radio.

Related to this. There is a an binding specific message element 802.11
WTP Radio Fail Alarm Indication sent in WTP Event Request, is this
really needed since we will get to know the changed state from the
Change State Event Request with Radio Operational State. As it is now we
would get both a Change State Event Request and a WTP Event Request for
the same radio failure.
Maybe the 802.11 WTP Radio Fail Alarm Indication message element could
be sent in the Change State Event Request together with the Radio
Operational State if it conveys more details about the acctual failure.

Peter

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:09:23 -0800

Issue 243

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Peter Nilsson J (LI/EAB)
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:56 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Capwap] Radio Administative and Operational state

	I am a bit confused about how the Radio Administrativ State and
Radio Operational State message elements are used in the Spec.

	First of all the only message in which Radio Administrative
State is sent is in the Configuration Status message from the WTP

	Does Radio Administrative State have to carry a cause value. It
looks to me that is suppose to be use to convey the "Wanted/Configured"
state of the Radio.

	The Radio Operational State with cause value in a Change State
Event Request would convey a changed state caused by some failure in the
Radio.

	Related to this. There is a an binding specific message element
802.11 WTP Radio Fail Alarm Indication sent in WTP Event Request, is
this really needed since we will get to know the changed state from the
Change State Event Request with Radio Operational State. As it is now we
would get both a Change State Event Request and a WTP Event Request for
the same radio failure.

	Maybe the 802.11 WTP Radio Fail Alarm Indication message element
could be sent in the Change State Event Request together with the Radio
Operational State if it conveys more details about the acctual failure.

	Peter