Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution to Issue 101- 11.8.1.1 Change to re-use 802.11 Information element definitions

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 11:47:47 -0800

All,

Issue 101 is listed below:

Section 11.8.1.1 defines the IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN message element, and includes
the encryption policy, key, WPAIE and RSNIE. Rather than defining new values, we
should re-use the existing IEEE
802.11 definitions, making the message element
more easily extensible.

Several text hanges to resolve Issue 101 were made in the -01 document, with
an open question remaining as to whether
or not the Auth Type and QOS fields were still needed in the IEEE 802.11 Add
WLAN message element.

Suggested resolution:

(a) Retain the Auth Type field, deleting values "2-WPA/WPA2 802.1X" and "3 -
WPA/WPA2 PSK" as these
are duplicated in the RSNIE. THe Auth Type field is then used to indicate
Open/Shared Key 802.11 authentication.

(b) Since WMM will determine policy for WMM traffic, retain the QOS field,
changing the description of the field
from
"QOS: An 8-bit value specifying the default QOS policy to enforce for
station's traffic on this WLAN"

to

"QOS: "An 8-bit value specifying the default QOS policy for the WTP to apply
to network traffic
received for a non-WMM enabled STA"

Comments welcome,

Thanks,

Dorothy
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap