Subject: [Capwap] Proposed resolution to issue 72

From: "Michael Montemurro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:32:04 -0500

Here is the proposed resolution to issue 72:

The current draft gives the capability for the WTP to share its
configuration with the AC when it connects.

I proposed adding  configuration failure result code indicating:
   - the WTP could not apply the current configuration but will offer service
   - the WTP could not apply the current configuration and cannot offer service.
This message element would be transmitted during the change state
event message from the WTP to the AC.

Cheers,

Mike
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 05:45:21 -0800

The original request, which lead to the issue being created, was a
request for a new set of messages that allow an AC to request the WTP to
provide its current configuration. At the time of the discussion, I
disagreed this feature was needed in the CAPWAP protocol, because at the
time of a reboot the WTP provides its stored configuration, if any. The
AC then proceeds by providing its own configuration. The claim was that
it was necessary for the AC to be able to "pull" the configuration from
the WTP, ensuring it has an accurate picture of the WTP's config. There
was also a mention that WTP bugs could exist that would cause the WTP to
not process the configuration properly.

I believe that the current proposal for issue 73 now allows the WTP to
return an error code should it be unable to apply a specific
configuration message element. The AC can then decide whether it wishes
the WTP to provide service anyhow. This ensures the AC will know the
WTP's config. I also do not believe that a standard should be encumbered
to help identify bugs on WTPs.

I do not believe that we have addressed the original request, howeverthe
question is whether we have addressed it in spirit. I believe we have
with the proposed text in issue 73.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Montemurro [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:32 AM
> To: capwap
> Subject: [Capwap] Proposed resolution to issue 72
> 
> The current draft gives the capability for the WTP to share 
> its configuration with the AC when it connects.
> 
> This message element would be transmitted during the change 
> state event message from the WTP to the AC.
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Mike

---

From: "Michael Montemurro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 03:21:17 -0500

Pat,

I agree with this approach to address this .

Cheers,

Mike