Subject: [Capwap] FW: Proposed Text for Issue 254

From: "Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:15:26 -0700

The changes to resolve issue 254 (see below) seems to be missing from 
version 06 of the capwap protocol spec.

Thanks,
Abhijit

________________________________

From: Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu) 
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 12:57 PM
To: capwap; Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); Puneet Agarwal
Subject: Re: [Capwap] Proposed Text for Issue 254

While trying to address Issue 254, I realized that there are a number of
places in the CAPWAP protocol spec that we need to fix.
I also noticed that in the spec, we start using "data channel"
and "control channel" without defining what they are.
 
I propose the following changes:
 
1. Add the following to Terminology (Section 1.4)
 
      CAPWAP Control Channel:  A connection defined by (WTP-IP-Addr,
AC-IP-Addr, 
        IP Protocol, WTP-Control-Layer4Port, AC-Control-Layer4Port) over
which CAPWAP control  
        packets are sent.
 
        CAPWAP Data Channel:  A connection defined by (WTP-IP-Addr,
AC-IP-Addr, 
        WTP-Data-Layer4Port, IP Protocol, AC-Data-Layer4Port) over which
CAPWAP data packets 
        are sent.

2. In Section 3.1
    Replace

        CAPWAP protocol control packets sent between the WTP and the AC
use
        well known UDP port [to be IANA assigned].  CAPWAP protocol data
        packets sent between the WTP and the AC use UDP port [to be IANA
        assigned].

    With
         CAPWAP protocol control packets sent from the WTP to the AC use
         well known UDP port [to be IANA assigned] at the AC and any
         port selected by the implementation at the WTP. CAPWAP protocol
data
         packets sent from the WTP to the AC use UDP port [to be IANA
         assigned] at the AC and any port selected by the implementation

         at the WTP. In either case, for packets sent by the AC to the
WTP, 
         the source and destination ports are reversed.

3. In Section 4.1
    Replace
         Payload Type:  A 4 bit field which specifies the payload type
that
          follows the preamble header.  The following values are
supported:
 
          0 -  Clear text.  If the packet is received on the data UDP
port,
             the CAPWAP stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text
CAPWAP
             data packet.  If received on the control UDP port, the
CAPWAP
             stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP control
             packet.  If the control packet is not a Discovery Request
or
             Response packet, the packet MUST be dropped.
 
          1 -  DTLS Payload.  The packet is a DTLS packet and MAY be a
data
             or control packet, based on the UDP port it was received on
             (see Section 3.1).
 
    With
         Payload Type:  A 4 bit field which specifies the payload type
that
          follows the preamble header.  The following values are
supported:
 
          0 -  Clear text.  If the packet is received on the CAPWAP data
channel,
             the CAPWAP stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text
CAPWAP
             data packet.  If received on the CAPWAP control channel,
the CAPWAP
             stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP control
             packet.  If the control packet is not a Discovery Request
or
             Response packet, the packet MUST be dropped.
 
          1 -  DTLS Payload.  The packet is a DTLS packet and MAY be a
data
             or control packet, based on the channel it was received on
             (see Section 3.1).

4. In Section 4.3
   Replace
      Both CAPWAP data messages are transmitted on the data channel UDP
port.
   With
       Both CAPWAP data messages are transmitted on the data channel.

Thanks,
Abhijit

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 03:02:32 -0700

Does anyone have any issues with the adoption of the proposed text
below?
 
PatC

From: Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu) 
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 2:15 PM
To: capwap
Subject: [Capwap] FW: Proposed Text for Issue 254

Thanks,
Abhijit

 

 

2. In Section 3.1
    Replace

    With

3. In Section 4.1
    Replace

 
    With

4. In Section 4.3
   Replace

Thanks,
Abhijit

---

From: "Sudhanshu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:40:08 -0700

Abhijit/Pat,

I am ok with changes 3 and 4. 

For change #1, I think definition is not sufficient.

*	Define the control (and also data) channel is between WTP IP
address, AC IP address, IP Protocol, well known port at AC and WTP assigned
(or well know UDP) port at WTP.
*	It may be good idea to define the well know UDP port also as part of
terminology, as it is referred in the previous definition.
*	It may be good idea also to define the WTP IP address here, as it
may be different than section 4.5.52.

For change #2, there is no point of repeating the definition again. Instead
it should refer to term "CAPWAP Control Channel" and "CAPWAP Data Channel "
in section 1.4 

_Suds

  _____  

From: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 3:03 AM
To: Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu); capwap
Subject: Re: [Capwap] FW: Proposed Text for Issue 254

Does anyone have any issues with the adoption of the proposed text below?

PatC

  _____  

 

Thanks,

Abhijit

 

  _____  

        packets are sent.

        are sent.

2. In Section 3.1

    Replace

        CAPWAP protocol control packets sent between the WTP and the AC use
        well known UDP port [to be IANA assigned].  CAPWAP protocol data
        packets sent between the WTP and the AC use UDP port [to be IANA
        assigned].

    With

         at the WTP. In either case, for packets sent by the AC to the WTP, 
         the source and destination ports are reversed.

3. In Section 4.1

    Replace

         Payload Type:  A 4 bit field which specifies the payload type that
          follows the preamble header.  The following values are supported:

          0 -  Clear text.  If the packet is received on the data UDP port,
             the CAPWAP stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP
             data packet.  If received on the control UDP port, the CAPWAP
             stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP control
             packet.  If the control packet is not a Discovery Request or
             Response packet, the packet MUST be dropped.

          1 -  DTLS Payload.  The packet is a DTLS packet and MAY be a data
             or control packet, based on the UDP port it was received on
             (see Section 3.1).

    With

         Payload Type:  A 4 bit field which specifies the payload type that
          follows the preamble header.  The following values are supported:

          0 -  Clear text.  If the packet is received on the CAPWAP data
channel,
             the CAPWAP stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP
             data packet.  If received on the CAPWAP control channel, the
CAPWAP
             stack MUST treat the packet as a clear text CAPWAP control
             packet.  If the control packet is not a Discovery Request or
             Response packet, the packet MUST be dropped.

          1 -  DTLS Payload.  The packet is a DTLS packet and MAY be a data
             or control packet, based on the channel it was received on
             (see Section 3.1).

4. In Section 4.3

   Replace

   With

Thanks,

Abhijit

---

From: "Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:51:54 -0700

Hi Sudhanshu,
 
I was trying to first define the notion that the control
or data channel refers to a 5-tuple without specifying what
the transport is.  Later in the Transport
section, the specifics are nailed down: 
the Protocol is defined to be UDP or UDP-Lite
and the ports to be well-known or not. Since the Terminology
section comes at the beginning of the document, it doesn't
seem like the right place to define in detail like you
are proposing.
 
So, based on this, would you like to suggest some changes to
(1) that you'd be satisfied with ?
 
Thanks,
Abhijit

From: Sudhanshu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:40 PM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu); 'capwap'
Subject: RE: [Capwap] FW: Proposed Text for Issue 254

Abhijit/Pat,

*	Define the control (and also data) channel is between WTP IP
address, AC IP address, IP Protocol, well known port at AC and WTP
assigned (or well know UDP) port at WTP. 
*	It may be good idea to define the well know UDP port also as
part of terminology, as it is referred in the previous definition. 
*	It may be good idea also to define the WTP IP address here, as
it may be different than section 4.5.52. 

For change #2, there is no point of repeating the definition again.
Instead it should refer to term "CAPWAP Control Channel" and "CAPWAP
Data Channel " in section 1.4 

_Suds

PatC

 

Thanks,

Abhijit

 

        packets are sent.

        are sent.

2. In Section 3.1

    Replace

    With

3. In Section 4.1

    Replace

    With

 

4. In Section 4.3

   Replace

   With

Thanks,

Abhijit

---

From: "Sudhanshu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:16:18 -0700

Abhijit,

If you want to go with very generic information, here is the language 

      CAPWAP Control Channel:  A layer 4 connection between WTP and AC over
which CAPWAP control  

        packets are sent.

        CAPWAP Data Channel:  A layer 4 connection between WTP and AC over
which CAPWAP data packets 

        are sent.

Normally you define the terminology up-front, which make sense very late in
the document. So if you want to go with this argument, here are my inputs.
No major change, just re-spinning your words.

      CAPWAP control port: Well know UDP port number used for control plane
communication 

      between WTP and AC [to be assigned by IANA].

      CAPWAP data port: Well know UDP port number used for data plane
communication between 

WTP and AC [to be assigned by IANA].

CAPWAP Control Channel:  A bi-directional flow defined by WTP-IP-Addr,
AC-IP-Addr, IP protocol, AC's CAPWAP control port and any UDP port used by
WTP, over which CAPWAP control packets are sent.

      CAPWAP Data Channel:  A bi-directional flow defined by WTP-IP-Addr,
AC-IP-Addr, IP Protocol, AC's CAPWAP 

data port and any UDP port used by WTP over which CAPWAP data and data
channel keep alive packets are sent.

2. In Section 3.1

    Replace

    With

  CAPWAP protocol control packet sent between the WTP and the AC use CAPWAP
control channel. CAPWAP 

  protocol data packets sent between the WTP and the AC use CAPWAP data
channel as defined in section 1.4.

I am OK with both the text.

-Suds

  _____  

From: Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:52 PM
To: Sudhanshu; Pat Calhoun (pacalhou); capwap; Puneet Agarwal
Subject: RE: [Capwap] FW: Proposed Text for Issue 254

Hi Sudhanshu,

are proposing.

Thanks,

Abhijit

 

  _____  

Abhijit/Pat,

_Suds

  _____  

PatC

  _____  

 

Thanks,

Abhijit

 

  _____  

        packets are sent.

        are sent.

2. In Section 3.1

    Replace

    With

3. In Section 4.1

    Replace

    With

 

4. In Section 4.3

   Replace

   With

Thanks,

Abhijit