Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP clarifications

From: "Vishal Study" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:33:53 -0700

Hello everyone:

I'm new to CAPWAP world and have some questions on
draft-ietf-capwap-protocol-specification-10.txt:

- It talks about Local and Split MAC functionality.
  Should both modes must be supported? Which one is the most commonly used?

- What is the typical pkt size between WTP and AC? Is it 1500B?

- Typically, how many WTPs are supported by a single AC?

- At WTP, all 802.11 data packets are tunnelled using CAPWAP hdr and
sent over wired interface to AC. i.e. all packets from STA *must* be
sent to AC by WTP. WTP can't route the pkts by itself?
Is that correct?

- UpLink traffic - AC does the following to forward a Plain text data
pkt (i.e. IP/UDP/CAPWAP-hdr/Wireless Payload)
  - process IP/UDP
  - extract final Destination information from CAPWAP-hdr
  - route pkt to final destination

  So, the data rate performance of AC is tied to how fast it can do
the above (i.e. UDP/IP processing, route lookup and forwarding).
  If secured, AC needs to do AES-128 operations as well.

  Is this understanding correct?

  The reverse path (Downlink) is opposite of the above.

Can someone please help.

Thanks!
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap