Subject: Re: [Capwap] Both IPv4 and IPv6 Message Elements are Mandatory in Configuration Status Response

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:44:04 -0700

In a private e-mail to me, Glenn brought up a very valid point, which is
that the current text shows that both the AC IPv4 List and the AC IPv6
List message elements MUST be present. However, the WTP and/or AC is not
required to support both IPv4 or IPv6. I have created issue 177 to track
this. Therefore the text needs to be softened to the following:

<softened text>
8.3.  Configuration Status Response
[...]

   One or both of the following message elements MUST be included in the
   Configuration Status Response Message:

   o  AC IPv4 List, see Section 4.6.2

   o  AC IPv6 List, see Section 4.6.3
</softened text>

PatC
________________________________

From: Glenn Chagnot [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 7:29 AM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Subject: Both IPv4 and IPv6 Message Elements are Mandatory in
Configuration Status Response

Hi Pat,

In working through the document further, I see another point that I
think probably should be clarified.  In section 8.3, both the AC IPv4
List and AC IPv6 List are listed under the mandatory Message Elements.
However, looking at the individual message elements, there is no way to
specify that no addresses are in use.  In other words, there is no way
to indicate 0 (zero) addresses in the respective message elements.

It seems then that in order to comply with the draft, one must have IPv4
and IPv6 addresses available for insertion into the message elements to
send a proper configuration response message.  I don't think that this
is the intention.  I think it was probably intended that the message
must include either the AC IPv4 List, the AC IPv6 List, or both message
elements.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Chagnot

Chief Architect

VeriWave, Inc.

817-898-0369

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap