Subject: [Capwap] Issue 191: IANA Consideration section for message element types not complete

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:02:56 -0700

All,

Pasi raised the following issue during the WG Last Call:

    Sections 4.6 and 15.6: the IANA considerations text
    just says numbers 1..52 are assigned here, and others
    are free; but 4.6 talks about ranges reserved for
    802.11 and EPCGlobal.

That is correct - section 15.6 is incomplete. I suggest the 
following text:

<proposed text>
15.6.  CAPWAP Message Element Type

   The Type field in the CAPWAP Message Element header (see Section 4.6)
   is used to identify the data being transported.  The namespace is 16
   bits (0-65535), where the value of zero (0) is reserved and must not
   be assigned.  The values one (1) through 52 are allocated in this
   specification, and can be found in Section 4.5.1.1.

   The 16 bit namespace is further divided into blocks of addresses that
   are reserved for specific CAPWAP wireless bindings.  The following
   blocks are reserved:

         CAPWAP Protocol Message Elements                   1 - 1023
         IEEE 802.11 Message Elements                    1024 - 2047
         EPCGlobal Message Elements                      3072 - 4095

   This namespace is managed by IANA and assignments require a Expert
   Review.  IANA will create the CAPWAP Message Element Type registry,
   whose format is:

           CAPWAP Message Element           Type Value       Reference
</proposed text>

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap