Subject: [Capwap] Issue 192: Only 15 WLAN IDs permitted in IEEE 802.11 binding spec

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:18:33 -0700

All,

Yong raised the following issue during the WG Last Call:

    WLAN ID:   An 8-bit value specifying the WLAN Identifier.  The value
         MUST be between one (1) and 15.

    I saw that 0 is not allowed for WLAN ID. One physical radio can
    support 16 WLANs. How to config the wlan 0? Or it does not need
    to config?

This is a valid point. I do not want to start using the value zero (0),
because
it was explicitely forbidden, and therefore propose changing the range
from 1
through 16. The new text would read:

<proposed text>
6.1.  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN
[...]
   WLAN ID:   An 8-bit value specifying the WLAN Identifier.  The value
      MUST be between one (1) and 16.
</proposed text>

The same change was made to all other message elements that include the
WLAN
ID field.

PatC
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Yong Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:21:20 -0700

This WLAN ID description has shown in several places in the bind doc.,
not just for the
6.1.  IEEE 802.11 Add WLAN.

Yong