Subject: Re: [Capwap] Another Configuration Status Response Message

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:02:21 -0700

> In looking through the Configuration Status Response in section 8.3, I
was unclear about the
> usage of the Decryption Error Report Period message element.
> 
> The Decryption Error Report Period message element in section 4.6.19
includes a Radio ID field.  
> I am not sure what should be sent to a WTP with multiple radios and
therefore multiple Radio IDs.  
> Consider the case where the WTP includes two radios and one radio's
operational state is enabled 
> and one radio's operation state is disabled.  How many instances of
this message element should 
> be sent in the Configuration Status Response message?
You send one per radio. If a radio is disabled, then the AC can still
send it, but it shouldn't expect
any reports. Yes, we could have changed the text to be more specific on
what to include given the state
of the radio, but I think that would have added unnecessary complexity.
By leaving it the way it is,
it allows the AC to have simple rules about what to send, and the WTP to
react based on its operational
state.

> 
> I am guessing that we should send two instances, one for each Radio ID
on the WTP.
Correct.

> 
> I am also wondering why the draft is written such that multiple
instances of the message element
> are sent rather than sending one single element which includes
multiple radio IDs and timer settings.
Because a WTP could eventually have a large number of radios, and
bundling everything could have gotten us
into message element fragmentation issues in the future. All message
elements that are radio specific require
one per radio - so the rules are consistent across the whole protocol.

PatC

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Glenn Chagnot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:18:05 -0500

Hi,

In looking through the Configuration Status Response in section 8.3, I was
unclear about the usage of the Decryption Error Report Period message
element.

The Decryption Error Report Period message element in section 4.6.19
includes a Radio ID field.  I am not sure what should be sent to a WTP with
multiple radios and therefore multiple Radio IDs.  Consider the case where
the WTP includes two radios and one radio's operational state is enabled and
one radio's operation state is disabled.  How many instances of this message
element should be sent in the Configuration Status Response message?

I am guessing that we should send two instances, one for each Radio ID on
the WTP.

I am also wondering why the draft is written such that multiple instances of
the message element are sent rather than sending one single element which
includes multiple radio IDs and timer settings.

Thanks,

Glenn

Glenn Chagnot

Chief Architect

VeriWave, Inc.

817-898-0369