Subject: [Capwap] CAPWAP implementation

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:46:26 +0100

Hello,

last week was my first CAPWAP meeting. It was somewhat sad to hear the
desperate calls for field implementations, and even more sad to see that
noone in the room responded.

So, as a little heads-up, I know of a WiFi vendor who actually has a
Wireless LAN Controller which uses CAPWAP for device communication. The
company is called LANCOM, and probably not large enough to assume that
people on the list know it.
Their stuff is unsurprisingly called WLC (Wireless LAN Controller), and
the data sheet at [1] and manual at [2] clearly state that they are
doing IETF-style CAPWAP.

Just so you know.

Oh, and as even more of heads-up, as operator of a WiFi Roaming
Consortium with hundreds of hot spots (www.eduroam.org), and an unknown
number of vendors for these spots, I would very much appreciate
interoperability!

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

[1]
http://www.lancom-systems.de/fileadmin/produkte/lc_wlc_4025/WLC-4025_EN.pdf
(page 3)
[2]
http://www.lancom-systems.de/download/LC-WLC-4025/LC-WLC-MANUAL-EN.pdf
(Cahpter 1.1)

-- 
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: Luca Vollero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:21:59 +0100

Dear Stefan,

We are currently involved in the implementation of an open-source
version of the CAPWAP protocol:

Open Source CAPWAP - http://sourceforge.net/projects/capwap/

The projects aims at implementing WTP and AC linux daemons,
communicating through the CAPWAP protocol and providing basic functionalities
for the configuration of hotspots (discovery, capabilities exchange,
channel, transmission power and WMM configuration, WTP statistics
forwarding to the AC). On sourceforge you can find our implementation
based on draft 9 of the protocol and IEEE 802.11 binding,
while a new version based on draft 12 will be available soon.

Our implementation of WTP software has been successfuly transfered on
Access Points running open-WRT software.

Our AC software supports both Local and Split MAC management models.  
Conversely, our WTP software currently supports only Local MAC  
management model.

If you are interested in having more information on our  
implementation, you can contact me ([email-masked]) or Massimo  
Bernaschi ([email-masked]).

Best Regards,
Luca Vollero

Quoting Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>:

> [2] http://www.lancom-systems.de/download/LC-WLC-4025/LC-WLC-MANUAL-EN.pdf
> (Cahpter 1.1)
>
> --
> Stefan WINTER
> Ingenieur de Recherche