Subject: [Capwap] Femtocell Security and CAPWAP

From: Charles Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:47:37 -0500

I missed the CAPWAP meeting this past week, but I heard there was 
discussion about other possible applications of CAPWAP and areas of 
future work.

Something the academics have been discussing is how to address 
fundamental security issues with femtocells.  The basic problem is that 
security associations for session keys are terminated at the femtocell, 
which is physically accessible.  The implication is that if you have a 
femtocell in your house and your neighbor roams onto it, you can sniff 
your neighbor's traffic.

If we could develop a "thin BS" such that the radio is the only thing 
you put in your house, and all the higher-level and security-related 
functionality is handled by a "cellular AC" in the operator's network, 
then we could address these fundamental issues.

-- 
t. charles clancy, ph.d.                 eng.umd.edu/~tcc
electrical & computer engineering, university of maryland
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:19:18 -0800

Hi Charles,

I know many folks in the femtocell space, and know that they have an
alternate approach to CAPWAP. While the WG could focus on this work
item, I'm not sure it would ever see the light of day as it would
compete against other standards. 

PatC

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:30:26 -0800

Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> alternate approach to CAPWAP. 

Care to share some of that "knowledge"?

> While the WG could focus on this work

What are these standards?  

...

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:17:58 -0800

There are three organizations working on femto; 3GPP, WiMAX Forum and
Femto Forum. Of the three, only 3GPP makes its documents available to
non-members. There's a whole list of 3GPP docs that pertain to Femto,
but you can start at SP-070952 (WID on Requirements for Home NodeB /
eNode).

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Glen Zorn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 1:30 PM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Capwap] Femtocell Security and CAPWAP

...

---

From: "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:42:21 +0800

For 3GPP H(e)NB security, link is
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/specs/html-info/33820.htm

-Hui

2008/11/25 Pat Calhoun (pacalhou) <[email-masked]>