Subject: [Capwap] The CAPWAP base MIB version 04 was published

From: Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:46:05 +0800

Hi,

The CAPWAP base MIB 04 version was published, and most changes are to close
issues
found by Dan.  Please check it, and especially thanks Dan.

The change log were added into the Appendix of draft file, while I also list
them here:

Appendix A.  Appendix A. Changes between -04 and -03
 T1. Running smilint results in the following errors:
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:480: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseWtpStateEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 6
 subidentifier(s)
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:582: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseWtpEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 6
 subidentifier(s)
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:1090: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseRadioBindEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 7
 subidentifier(s)
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:1181: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseStationEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 13
 subidentifier(s)
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:1249: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseWtpRebootStatsEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 6
 subidentifier(s)
 mibs/CAPWAP-BASE-MIB:1408: [5] {index-exceeds-too-large} warning: index
 of row `capwapBaseRadioStatsEntry' can exceed OID size limit by 7
 subidentifier(s)
 The reason is that these tables are indexed with objects of SYNTAX of
 CapwapBaseWtpIdTC which has a maximal size of 128, equal to the maximal
 size allowed for the whole OID. Reducing the maximal size of the TC to
 anything less or equal than 115 solves the problem.
   --------------------------------------------------------------
   Refer to entPhysicalSerialNum in RFC4133 and Dan's comment, define
   CapwapBaseWtpIdTC with OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..32))
   IF we use SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32)), libsmi would generate
   error: textual convention `CapwapBaseWtpIdTC' can not be derived from
   the textual convention `SnmpAdminString'
   T2.  Section 5 - ' To reuse current MIB standards and future
   extensions for a wireless binding technology' - it is not clear what
   'future extensions' may be and I would not commit to using them in
   advance, so I would suggest to drop this
   -------------------------------------------------------------
   Change it into " To be independent of any wireless technologies and
   have ability to reuse wireless binding MIB modules defined by other
   SDOs;"
   T3 What are the 'MIB standards of other SDOs' that need to be reused?

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 71]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   Please refer to them specifically at least by providing one example -
   for instance where does Dot11OperationTable come from?
   --------------------------------------------------------------
   It is changed into:
   The text give a definition of " 5.2.  Wireless Binding MIB Modules"
   For Dot11OperationTable, the chang is:
   For example, the MIB tables such as Dot11OperationTable [IEEE.802-
   11.2007] are able to support WTP radio configuration.
   T4.  In order for ifIndex to be used as a common handler for the
   CAPWAP MIB and for the interface specific MIB modules like a dot11
   MIB from IEEE one needs to ensure that the same numbering scheme and
   mapping is used by all MIB modules, and that it behaves identically
   for events like interface card swapping, reset or power loss.  I do
   not see how this can happen, I am not sure that this is possible at
   all, and in any case there is no text in the CAPWAP MIB that explains
   this mechanism.
   --------------------------------------------------------------
   in the Capwap Digest, Vol 39, Issue 4, we gave the text to explain a
   mechanism that preserves the values of ifIndex, Request mailing list
   to confirm it.
   In the section of "Relationship to the IF-MIB", add text "Also, as
   ifIndex[RFC2863] will be used as common handler for corresponding
   interfaces in the CAPWAP-BASE-MIB and specific wireless technologies
   MIB modules, the system (AC) MUST have a mechanisms that preserves
   the values of ifIndex in the ifTable at AC reboot."
   T5.  Section 7.2 - 'The interface SHOULD be modeled as an ifEntry' -
   Is a SHOULD enough or rather a MUST is required here taking into
   account the requirements in Section 5.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   It is changed into:MUST be
   T6.  The documents that define the MIB modules required for IMPORTs
   must be listed in the Normative References section.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 72]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   add reference to RFC3411 in the section of "MIB modules required for
   IMPORTS", add "SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB [RFC3411],"
   T7.  In the example in Section 8 capwapBaseWtpId equals the
   representation of the OCTET STRING '12345678' and not the number
   12345678
   ----------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes, it is change into '12345678'
   T8.  In the example in Section 8 ifPhysicalAddress should have six
   zeros.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes, it is change into '000000'
   T9.  What is the Vendor Identifier mentioned in Section 9 as being
   assigned by IANA?  Is this something specific for this MIB document -
   in this case it needs to be mentioned in the IANA considerations
   section?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   The description of Vendor Identifie is changed into: Vendor
   Identifier: A 32-bit value containing the IANA assigned "SMI Network
   Management Private Enterprise Codes"
   T10.  Why does one need a special TC for CapwapBaseWtpIdTC?  If this
   is typically a serial number, then SnmpAdminString SIZE (1..128)
   should do.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Station, radio, WTP are main objects to management by MIB drafts.
   They would appear in the serval table and notification.  Suggest to
   have a TC for them.
   T11.  In any case why is the SIZE in this TC fixed at 128?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Refer to entPhysicalSerialNum in RFC4133 and Dan's comment, define
   CapwapBaseWtpIdTC with OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..32))
   T12.  A number of read-write objects do not have the persistency
   behavior defined in case of agent reboot -
   capwapBaseStationSessionsLimit, capwapBaseDataChannelSecConfig,

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 73]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   capwapBaseControlChannelAuthenConfig
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Add the "The value of the object is persistent at restart/reboot." in
   the description of
   capwapBaseAcMaxRetransmit,capwapBaseAcChangeStatePendingTimer, capwap
   BaseAcDataCheckTimer,capwapBaseAcDTLSSessionDeleteTimer,capwapBaseAcE
   choInterval, capwapBaseAcWaitJoinTimer,
   capwapBaseAcWaitDTLSTimer,capwapBaseAcSilentInterval,
   capwapBaseAcRetransmitInterval
   T13 - Is more than one security policy possible to be configured on a
   given AC?  If not, then why is capwapBaseDataChannelSecConfig a BIT?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes, the data type of capwapBaseDataChannelSecConfig should be
   INTEGER
   T14 - the name of capwapBaseDataChannelSecOptions should better be
   something that includes DTLSPolicy to make clear to what fields in
   the AC Descriptor it corresponds.  The DESCRIPTION should also be
   consistent with the text in the protocol document
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   To make it consistent with protocol, change
   capwapBaseDataChannelSecOptions with
   capwapBaseDataChannelDTLSPolicyOptions.  Change
   capwapBaseDataChannelSecConfig with
   capwapBaseDataChannelDTLSPolicyConfig Also, the DESCRIPTION should
   also be consistent with the text in the protocol document
   T15 - is more than one credential type possible to be configured on a
   given AC?  If not then why is capwapBaseControlChannelAuthenConfig a
   BIT?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes, the data type of capwapBaseControlChannelSecConfig should be
   INTEGER
   T16 - it would be good for management applications writers to mention
   in the DESCRIPTION clause thatcapwapBaseAcnameListName is expected to
   be a UTF-8 encoded string
   -----------------------------------------------------------------

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 74]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   Yes, it is added
   T17 - Object names in capwapBaseWtpStateTable do not respect the
   naming conditions relative to capwapBaseWtpStateEntry
   ---------------------------------------------------------------
   Add one more WtpState in the object name.  For example,
   capwapBaseWtpId is to changed into capwapBaseWtpStateWtpId, other
   objects are similiar.
   all objects with new name:
   CapwapBaseWtpStateEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
         capwapBaseWtpStateWtpId               CapwapBaseWtpIdTC,
         capwapBaseWtpStateWtpIpAddressType    InetAddressType,
         capwapBaseWtpStateWtpIpAddress        InetAddress,
         capwapBaseWtpStateWtpPhyAddress       PhysAddress,
         capwapBaseWtpState                    INTEGER
       }
   T18 - same for capwapBaseWtpStateTable
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Same as above
   T19 - capwapBaseWtpName is of SYNTAX AsnmpAdminString which is
   limited to SIZE 255, while the WTP name can be up to 512 characters
   --------------------------------------------------------------
   change with OCTET STRING(SIZE(512))
   T20 - same about capwapbaseWtpLocation which can be up to 1024
   characters in length
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   change with OCTET STRING(SIZE(1024))
   T21 - Section 4.8 defines default value for a number of variables.
   However, these are not reflected in the MIB - for example why is
   there not a DEFAULT clause that will set capwapBaseWtpFallbackEnable
   to enabled(1) as per 4.8.9?  Or capwapBaseWtpMaxDiscoveries which has
   a default of 10 defined in 4.8.5
   -------------------------------------------------------------------

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 75]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   Added DEFVAL { enabled } for capwapBaseWtpFallbackEnable.
   capwapBaseWtpMaxDiscoveries already has DEFVAL { 10 }.
   T22 - why does the MIB support reserved(0) for
   capwapBaseWtpFallbackEnable.  Does setting to reserved(0) by the
   management application have any significance?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   The reserved(0) is removed for capwapBaseWtpFallbackEnable
   T23 - According to 4.8.8 capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount is a monotonous
   increasing counter.  The appropriate SYNTAX for such an object is
   Counter32 and not Unsigned32
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Yes, capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount should use Counter32
   T24 - it would be useful to define UNITS clauses for objects like
   capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   It seemed capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount does not require a UNIT.
   T25 - define a range (2..180) for capwapBaseWtpMaxDiscoveryInterval
   ----------------------------------------------------------------
   add value scope of (0..24) to capwapBaseWtpDataChannelDeadInterval
   add value scope of (2..180) to capwapBaseWtpMaxDiscoveryInterval
   add value scope of (30..4294967295) to capwapBaseWtpWaitDTLSTimer
   add value scope of (30..4294967295) to capwapBaseAcWaitDTLSTimer
   add value scope of (20..4294967295) to capwapBaseAcWaitJoinTimer
   T27 - Object names in capwapBaseRadioBindTable do not respect the
   naming conditions relative to capwapBaseRadioBindEntry
   --------------------------------------------------------------------
   Change all objects (entry, table)'s prefix from capwapBaseRadioBind
   to capwapBaseWirelessBinding.
   change CapwapBaseRadioBindTable to CapwapBaseWirelessBindingTable
   The Objects with new name:

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 76]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

CapwapBaseWirelessBindingEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
    capwapBaseWirelessBindingRadioId                CapwapBaseRadioIdTC,
    capwapBaseWirelessBindingVirtualRadioIfIndex    InterfaceIndex,
    capwapBaseWirelessBindingType                   INTEGER
  }
   T28 - What do the values reserved(0) and reserved(2) in
   capwapBaseRadioWirelessBinding mean?  Are they ever returned by an
   agent?
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   removed the reserved(0) and reserved(2) from the object definition.
   T29 - in other IETF documents (like RFC 4363) VLAN names are defined
   as SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32)).  I suggest the same for
   capwapBaseStationVlanName.  I am aware that section 4.6.8 allows for
   names up to 512, but I do not find this justified.  In any case, if
   the full size defined in 4.6.8 is to be accommodated, then
   SnmpAdminString would not be sufficient as its size is limited to
   256.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   capwapBaseStationVlanName use SnmpAdminString (SIZE (0..32))
   T30 - Object names in capwapBaseWtpRebootStatsTable do not respect
   the naming conditions relative to capwapBaseWtpRebootStatsEntry
   ------------------------------------------------------------------
   Change table name from capwapBaseWtpRebootStatTable to
   capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsTable.
   The objects also do similar changes, for example, change
   capwapBaseWtpRebootCount to capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsRebootCount
   The objects with new name:
   CapwapBaseWtpEventsStatsEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsRebootCount            Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsInitCount              Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsLinkFailureCount       Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsSwFailureCount         Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsHwFailureCount         Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsOtherFailureCount      Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsUnknownFailureCount    Counter32,
         capwapBaseWtpEventsStatsLastFailureType        INTEGER

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 77]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

       }
   T31 - Object names in capwapBaseWtpRadioStatsTable do not respect the
   naming conditions relative to capwapBaseWtpRadioStatsEntry
   ----------------------------------------------------------------
   Change table name from capwapBaseWtpRadioStatsTable to
   capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsTable.  The objects also do similar
   changes, for example, change capwapBaseRadioSwFailCount to
   capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsSwFailCount.
   The objects with new name:
   CapwapBaseRadioEventsStatsEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsResetCount            Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsSwFailCount           Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsHwFailCount           Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsOtherFailCount        Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsUnknownFailCount      Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsConfigUpdateCount     Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsChannelChangeCount    Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsBandChangeCount       Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsCurrentNoiseFloor     Integer32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsDecryptErrorCount     Counter32,
         capwapBaseRadioEventsStatsLastFailType          INTEGER
       }
   E1.  Even if this document uses terminology borrowed from other
   CAPWAP documents, acronyms like WTP, AC, etc. should be expanded at
   the first occurrence.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   The Terminology section is updated with more Terminology such as
   Autonomous WLAN Architecture, Centralized WLAN Architecture, Wireless
   Binding,Split and Local MAC and so on.
   E2.  It would be good for the document to be grammar and spelling
   checked by a native English speaker.
   E3.  No need for sections 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 - these are standard in any
   MIB module and their content is well known
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Ok, there are removed

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 78]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   E4.  In Section 7.2 there is no need to mention information that is
   not specific to the CAPWAP MIB
   --------------------------------------------------------------------
   Removed the "Some specific interpretations of ifTable for CAPWAP-
   BASE-MIB are as follow." and the interpretations followed it.
   E5.  In the example in Section 8 ifType should be equal with the
   value assigned by IANA for the ifType - you may mark it xxx and enter
   an editor note saying 'RFC Editor - please replace xxx with the value
   allocated by IANA for IANAifType of 'WTP Virtual Radio Interface')
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   It is done according to the comment
   E6.  Please indicate specifically for each field for the protocols
   timers message the exact reference in than CAPWAP protocol document.
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   The section was updated according to protocol
   E7.  The numbering of referred paragraphs in the REFERENCE clauses
   are not synchronized with the latest version of the CAPWAP protocol
   document as per http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3411.txt
   -------------------------------------------------------------------
   The REFERENCE clauses for the following TCs or objects are changed
   with new id:
   CapwapBaseTunnelModeTC
   Section 4.6.42 to Section 4.6.43
   CapwapBaseMacTypeTC
   Section 4.6.43 to Section 4.6.44
   capwapBaseWtpName
   Section 4.6.44 to Section 4.6.45
   capwapBaseWtpLocation
   Section 4.6.29 to Section 4.6.30
   capwapBaseWtpBaseMacAddress
   Section 4.6.39 to Section 4.6.40

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 79]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   capwapBaseTunnelModeOptions
   Section 4.6.42 to Section 4.6.43
   capwapBaseMacTypeOptions
   Section 4.6.43 to Section 4.6.44
   capwapBaseWtpRadiosInUseNum and capwapBaseWtpRadioNumLimit
   Section 4.6.40 to Section 4.6.41
   capwapBaseWtpStaticIpEnable, capwapBaseWtpStaticIp,
   capwapBaseWtpNetmask,capwapBaseWtpGateway
   Section 4.6.47 to Section 4.6.48
   capwapBaseWtpFallbackEnable
   Section 4.6.41 to Section 4.6.42
   all the objects in the capwapBaseWtpRebootStatsTable
   Section 4.6.46 to Section 4.6.47
   all the objects in the capwapBaseRadioStatsTable
   Section 4.6.45 to Section 4.6.46
   capwapBaseJoinFailure,capwapBaseImageUpgradeFailure,
   capwapBaseConfigMsgError
   Section 4.6.34 to Section 4.6.35
   capwapBaseRadioOperableStatus,capwapBaseNtfRadioOperStatusFlag,
   capwapBaseNtfRadioStatusCause
   Section 4.6.33 to Section 4.6.34
   capwapBaseNtfJoinFailureReason,capwapBaseNtfImageFailureReason
   Section 4.6.34 to Section 4.6.35
   capwapBaseNtfConfigMsgErrorType,capwapBaseNtfMsgErrorElements
   Section 4.6.35 to Section 4.6.36
   E8.  No need to repeat the text in the DESCRIPTION clause if a TC is
   used (e.g. capwapBaseTunnelModeOption, capwapBaseMacTypeOptions)
   ----------------------------------------------------------------
   Change the description of them, and only talk about the function of
   objects.
   E9 - capwapBaseWtpMaxRetransmitCnt is not a counter so the suffix Cnt
   should be dropped from the name.
   -------------------------------------------------------------------

Shi, et al.             Expires September 1, 2009              [Page 80]

Internet-Draft          CAPWAP Protocol Base MIB           February 2009

   Change capwapBaseWtpMaxRetransmitCnt into capwapBaseWtpMaxRetransmit
   E10 - capwapBaseAcMaxRetransmitCnt is not a counter so the suffix Cnt
   should be dropped from the name.
   -------------------------------------------------------------------
   Change capwapBaseAcMaxRetransmitCnt into capwapBaseAcMaxRetransmit
Other changes made by authors:
1) To keep Terminology consistent
   change "MIBs" with "MIB modules", change "MIB standards" with "MIB
   modules".
2) Replace "As a generic mechanism, it is independent of any wireless
   technologies and defined by an independent MIB file" with
   "It is designed to accommodate the specific needs of each wireless
   technology in a standard way. It is independent of any wireless
   technologies;"
3) add reference to [IEEE.802-11.2007],[I-D.ietf-capwap-protocol-binding
-ieee80211] and [I-D.ietf-capwap-802dot11-mib]
4) Respect the naming conditions to capwapBaseWtpTable,
change capwapBaseMacTypeOptions to capwapBaseWtpMacTypeOptions
change capwapBaseTunnelModeOptions to capwapBaseWtpTunnelModeOptions
5) Change IPV6 to IPv6, IPV4 to IPv4
6) remove redundant "the" in the R"Represents the the next"
7) reorganized the section of overview, and divided it into the
following sub sections:
   5.  Overview . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
     5.1.  Requirements and Constraints . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     5.2.  Wireless Binding MIB Modules . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     5.3.  Design Objectives  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     5.4.  Design Idea  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
     5.5.  Mechanism of Reusing Wireless Binding MIB Modules  . . . .  6
     5.6.  CAPWAP Protocol Wireless Binding MIB Module  . . . . . . .  7
  Especially, add the Terminology of "CAPWAP Protocol Wireless Binding
  MIB Module" and "Wireless Binding MIB Module".
8) Remove unused(0) from CapwapBaseTunnelModeTC,
capwapBaseControlChannelAuthenOptions
and capwapBaseControlChannelAuthenConfig
9) Update some words in the section of" Example of CAPWAP-BASE-MIB
Module Usage"
10) Added capwapBaseAcEcnSupport, capwapBaseWtpEcnSupport

 <[email-masked]>
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap