Subject: [Capwap] #3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a WTP Profile Function

From: richardfy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:14:33 +0800

Hi,
           This is  #3 open issue we would discuss during IETF 74  
meeting.

            #3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a WTP Profile Function

The background of this new function
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
In the current MIB MIB, operator could not prepare configuration
for WTPs before they connect to AC.
It only lets Operator to change configuration for WTP in run status.
It does not explain how to create  "Virtual radio interface “.

In summary, We used to want to leave the following functions
to vendors' private MIB implementation:
1 Allow operator to prepare configuration for WTPs before
      they connect to AC
2) To trigger system to create  "Virtual radio interface “ during 1)

If we don’t have this function?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Current MIB draft could work without it, while it would
has the following issues:
1) Private MIB implementation for it would lead to Interpretability  
Issues.
2) MIB design would be Not fully consistent with CAPWAP protocol as
  latter has very strong configuration function.

What is a WTP Profile?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
It is a profile which includes several Configuration parameters
such as static IP for a specific WTP, and operator Creates it
before a specific WTP connects to AC.

As CAPWAP MSG carry WTP's Serial Number
and WTP Profile  has  the serial number (and so on) of WTP,
so system could match a WTP profile with a WTP

The design of MIB objects for WTP Profile
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CapwapBaseWtpProfileEntry ::= SEQUENCE
{
    capwapBaseWtpProfileId   Unsigned32,
    capwapBaseWtpProfileName   OCTET STRING,
    capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpSerialId OCTET STRING,
    capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModeNumber OCTET STRING,
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
   Here lots of objects would be moved to here from capwapBaseWtpTable

    capwapBaseWtpProfileRowStatus     RowStatus
}

The MIB objects for static IP configuration and so on
would be moved to here from CapwapBaseWtpTable.
capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModelNum:
   Operator would specify Model Number(RFC5415) of a WTP
  in  the  configuration of a Wtp profile.
   As a PHY radio number is pre-decided by WTP Model Number, when a
   row object is created, it will trigger system to create specific  
number
   of  "Virtual Radio Interface" according to
   capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModelNum.
   Current capwapBaseWirelessBindingTable will offer the
    mapping relationship between "Virtual Radio Interface"
    and PHY radio.
(The above process is during the configuration phase, and before  WTP  
connect to AC)

How WTP Profile is to be used?
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1) Operator uses CapwapWtpProfileTable to create WTP profile for WTPs  
to manage before
WTP connect to AC, and it would trigger system to create “Virtual  
Radio Interface”.
2) Operator Get ifIndex of “Virtual Radio Interface” from  
capwapBaseWirelessBindingTable,
then operate IEEE 802.11 MIB Module to configure WLAN radio  parameter
All the process (1, 2)  Will be done Before WTP Connect to AC

The impact to Current MIB objects:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1) Impact to capwapBaseWtpTable
At present, capwapBaseWtpTable lets operator query Wtp property and do  
configuration
  for Wtp in run status.
When we have capwapBaseWtpProfileEntry, the capwapBaseWtpTable should  
Only
Let operator query Wtp property
  (such as capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount) when Wtp in run status.
  The objects (such as capwapBaseWtpStaticIp) for configuration function
should be moved to capwapBaseWtpProfileEntry.
2) Impact to CapwapBaseWtpStateTable
To help operator to query a Wtp 's current configuration,  
capwapBaseWtpTable should
  add a new object which keep current Wtp profile Id.
3) Impact to capwapBaseWirelessBindingEntry
  INDEX Would be { capwapBaseWtpProfileId (changed),
     capwapBaseWirelessBindingRadioId (No change)}
The reason of change is: The creation of Virtual radio interface is  
triggered by operation
  on the CapwapBaseWtpProfileTable

Regards
Richard

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap