Subject: [Capwap] I put the text to close issue #2

From: young <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 02:29:59 -0800

Hi,

As per discussion in the IETF 74th meeting, the change for #2 is done.
#2 Dot11 MIB should add a new Terminology  WLAN Profile (Richard)
I put the text here, kindly give your opinion.

1) In the overview section, it explains the WLAN profile:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
5.  Overview

5.1.  WLAN Profile

   It is a configuration profile which includes several parameters such
   as MAC type and tunnel mode, and each profile is identified by a
   profile ID.  In other words, WLAN profile is configuration for WLAN.
   The operator creates WLAN profiles before WTPs connect to the AC.
   Also, operator could specify which profiles is set on which radio of
   a specific WTP.  Such profiles set operation is also called as WLAN
   profile binding radio operation.  When this binding operation
   happened, the AC system MUST check what's unused WLAN ID could be
   allocated, and ensure the value of it is between one (1) and 16
   [RFC5416].  For example, for a specific radio, if it is already
   allocated with WLAN ID 8, when it binds with one more profile, WLAN
   ID 9 should be assigned to it.  For the radio to bind, it is a WTP
   Virtual Radio Interface and identified by the ifIndex.  The PHY
   address for this interface is be base BSSID address for PHY radio.
   Although maximum value of WLAN ID is 16, the AC could configure WLAN
   Profiles more than 16.

   In summary, WLAN Profile is a WLAN configuration on the AC side, and
   it takes effect for a WLAN when operator binds profile with a radio
   on the specific WTP, and WTP get it by CAPWAP Protocol Binding for
   IEEE 802.11 [RFC5416].

2) The example section 8 is updated:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I would talk about it in the email for #3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a
WTP Profile Function

3) add new TC CapwapDot11WlanIdProfileTC
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CapwapDot11WlanIdTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    DISPLAY-HINT "d"
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents an unique identifier of a WLAN."
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (1..16)
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
CapwapDot11WlanIdTC was changed back to previous design (Unsigned32 (1..16))

CapwapDot11WlanIdProfileTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    DISPLAY-HINT "d"
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents an unique identifier of a WLAN profile."
    SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (1..512)

For the table design, there are no too much changes. 
Main changes are to add support for "WLAN profile". And updated
The description of MIB objects.

4) Change of the capwapDot11WlanTable
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The description is changed with:
capwapDot11WlanTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF CapwapDot11WlanEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of objects that display and configure WLAN profiles.
         It allows operator to specify MAC type and tunnel mode
         for a WLAN. Also, it helps the AC system to configure WLAN
         through the IEEE 802.11 MIB module.
         Values of all objects in this table are persistent at
         restart/reboot."
    ::= { capwapDot11Objects 1 }

Use capwapDot11WlanProfileId to replace the previous WLAN ID here.
CapwapDot11WlanEntry ::=
    SEQUENCE {
      capwapDot11WlanProfileId          CapwapDot11WlanIdProfileTC,
      capwapDot11WlanProfileIfIndex     InterfaceIndex,
      capwapDot11WlanMacType            CapwapBaseMacTypeTC,
      capwapDot11WlanTunnelMode         CapwapBaseTunnelModeTC,
      capwapDot11WlanRowStatus          RowStatus
    }
The description of capwapDot11WlanProfileId (newly added) and
capwapDot11WlanProfileIfIndex are changed with:    
capwapDot11WlanProfileId OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      CapwapDot11WlanIdProfileTC
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents the ID for a WLAN profile which has a
         capwapDot11WlanProfileIfIndex interface corresponding to it."
    ::= { capwapDot11WlanEntry 1 }

capwapDot11WlanProfileIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      InterfaceIndex
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents the index value that uniquely identifies a
         WLAN Profile Interface. The interface identified by a
         particular value of this index is the same interface as
         identified by the same value of the ifIndex.
         The creation operation of a row object on the
         capwapDot11WlanTable triggers the AC system to create an
         WLAN Profile Interface and it is identified by the ifIndex.
         It does not require operator to manually create
         a WLAN Profile Interface.
         As most MIB tables in the IEEE 802.11 MIB module
         [IEEE.802-11.2007] use the ifIndex to identify an interface
         for configuration and statistic data, for example,
         dot11AuthenticationAlgorithmsTable, with the way of
         WLAN Profile Interface, Operator could do configuration for
         WLAN by using IEEE 802.11 MIB module. For example, operator
         could specify authentication algorithm by set
         dot11AuthenticationAlgorithm object in the
         dot11AuthenticationAlgorithmsTable."
    ::= { capwapDot11WlanEntry 2 }

5) Change of the capwapDot11WlanBindTable
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The description of table is updated:
capwapDot11WlanBindTable OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF CapwapDot11WlanBindEntry
    MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "A table of objects that configure which WLAN profile
         (identified by capwapDot11WlanProfileId) binds
         which radio. For the radio to bind, it is a WTP Virtual Radio
         Interface and identified by the ifIndex.
         Also, display and control the mapping relationship between
         WLAN ID and WLAN BSS Interface.
         Values of all objects in this table are persistent at
         restart/reboot."
    REFERENCE
        "Section 6.1. of CAPWAP Protocol Binding for IEEE 802.11,
         RFC 5416."
    ::= { capwapDot11Objects 2 }

For Index of table, use capwapDot11WlanProfileId to replace the previous
WLAN ID.

CapwapDot11WlanBindEntry ::=
    SEQUENCE {
      capwapDot11WlanBindWlanId        CapwapDot11WlanIdTC,
      capwapDot11WlanBindBssIfIndex    InterfaceIndex,
      capwapDot11WlanBindRowStatus     RowStatus
    }

Update description of capwapDot11WlanBindWlanId:
capwapDot11WlanBindWlanId OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      CapwapDot11WlanIdTC
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents the WLAN ID for a WLAN.
         When binding operation happened for a WLAN profile,
         the AC system MUST check what's unused WLAN ID could be
         allocated, and ensure the value of it is
         between one (1) and 16 [RFC5416].
         For example, for a specific radio, if it is already allocated
         with WLAN ID 8, when it binds with one more profile, WLAN ID
         9 should be assigned to it."
    REFERENCE
        "Section 6.1. of CAPWAP Protocol Binding for IEEE 802.11,
         RFC xxx."
    ::= { capwapDot11WlanBindEntry 1 }

Regards
Richard

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2009年3月26日 8:34
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: Capwap Digest, Vol 40, Issue 11

Send Capwap mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Capwap digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. #2 Dot11 MIB should add a new Terminology  WLAN Profile (Richard)
   2. #3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a WTP Profile Function
      (Richard)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:55:43 +0800
From: Richard <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Capwap] #2 Dot11 MIB should add a new Terminology  WLAN
	Profile
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Yong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312"

Hi,

This is second open issue we would discuss during IETF 74 meeting.

#2 Dot11 MIB should add a new Terminology  ?WLAN Profile

Why is it required?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////
The issues were found by Editors.
In the Dot11 MIB 03, we changed the value scope
of capwapDot11WlanId from (1..16) to (1..512) as AC side could
Configure WLAN Service more than 16 (capwapDot11WlanTable).
But for the operation of  WLAN Id binding to
Radio (capwapDot11WlanBindTable), it would conflict
with RFC5416,  as it specify the value scope of WLAN id is 1 to 16.

How to close it?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////
In the section ?Overview?? of new version , we should
bring forward a new terminology ?WLAN Profile?,
which is a configuration profile which includes several
parameters such as MAC Mode.  The value scope of profile?s
Id is 1 to 512. Also, it should explain
the relationship between WLAN Profile Id and WLAN ID.

For MIB table, Current WLAN ID object in the
table capwapDot11WlanTable  should be replaced with
WLAN Profile Id.
and capwapDot11WlanBindTable should add a WLAN Profile Id
Object.

System behavior would be:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/////////////////////
Suppose WLAN Profile Id configured is 32 (more than 16),
when bind it with a radio (CapwapDot11WlanEntry),
system internally should check what WLAN id
should be allocated and assign an unused value to
capwapDot11WlanBindWlanId.

For example, for a specific radio,  if it is already allocated
WLAN id 8, when new configuration WLAN Profile Id 32 is set,
WLAN id 9 should be assigned to this new configured WLAN on
This WTP's radio.

Regards
Richard

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap/attachments/20090326/389bff2a/att
achment.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 00:34:00 +0800
From: Richard <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Capwap] #3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a WTP Profile
	Function
To: [email-masked]
Cc: young <[email-masked]>, Yong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="gb2312"

Hi,

This is #3 open issue we would discuss during IETF 74 meeting.
#3 Suggest Let Base MIB to Support a WTP Profile Function

The background of this new function
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
In the current MIB MIB, operator could not prepare configuration
for WTPs before they connect to AC.
It only lets Operator to change configuration for WTP in run status.
It does not explain how to create  "Virtual radio interface ?.

In summary, We used to want to leave the following functions
to vendors' private MIB implementation:
1) Allow operator to prepare configuration for WTPs before
      they connect to AC
2) To trigger system to create  "Virtual radio interface ? during 1)

If we don?t have this function?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
Current MIB draft could work without it, while it would
has the following issues:
1) Private MIB implementation for it would lead to Interpretability  
Issues.
2) MIB design would be Not fully consistent with CAPWAP protocol as
  latter has very strong configuration function.

What is a WTP Profile?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
It is a profile which includes several Configuration parameters
such as static IP for a specific WTP, and operator Creates it
before a specific WTP connects to AC.

WTP Profile
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
As CAPWAP Msg would carry It has serial number and
the serial number of WTP,
so system could match a WTP profile with a WTP

The design of MIB objects for WTP Profile
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
CapwapBaseWtpProfileEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
       capwapBaseWtpProfileId                    Unsigned32,
       capwapBaseWtpProfileName                  OCTET STRING,
       capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpSerialId           OCTET STRING,
       capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModeNum            OCTET STRING,
      ////////////////////////////////////////////
       Here lots of objects would be moved to here from
       current capwapWtpTable.
       capwapBaseWtpProfileRowStatus             RowStatus
     }

The MIB objects for static IP configuration and so on
would be moved to here from CapwapBaseWtpTable.

capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModelNum:
   Operator would specify Model Number(RFC5415) of a WTP
  in  the  configuration of a Wtp profile.
   As a PHY radio number is pre-decided by WTP Model Number, when a
   row object is created, it will trigger system to create specific  
number
   of  "Virtual Radio Interface" according to
   capwapBaseWtpProfileWtpModelNum.
   Current capwapBaseWirelessBindingTable will offer the
    mapping relationship between "Virtual Radio Interface"
    and PHY radio.
(The above process is during the configuration phase, and before  WTP  
connect to AC)

How WTP Profile is to be used?
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
1) Operator uses CapwapWtpProfileTable to create WTP profile for WTPs  
to manage before
2) WTP connect to AC, and it would trigger system to create ?Virtual  
Radio Interface?.
Operator Get ifIndex of ?Virtual Radio Interface? from  
capwapBaseWirelessBindingTable,
then operate IEEE 802.11 MIB Module to configure
WLAN radio  parameter

All the process Will be done Before WTP  Connect to AC

The impact to Current MIB objects:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
////////////////////
1) Impact to capwapBaseWtpTable
At present, capwapBaseWtpTable lets operator query Wtp property and do  
configuration
  for Wtp in run status.
When we have capwapBaseWtpProfileEntry, the capwapBaseWtpTable should  
Only Let operator query Wtp property
(such as capwapBaseWtpRetransmitCount) when Wtp in run status.
  The objects (such as capwapBaseWtpStaticIp) for configuration  
function  should be moved to
  capwapBaseWtpProfileEntry.
2) Impact to CapwapBaseWtpStateTable
To help operator to query a Wtp 's current configuration,  
capwapBaseWtpTable should add a new
object which keep current Wtp profile Id.
3) Impact to capwapBaseWirelessBindingEntry
  INDEX Would be { capwapBaseWtpProfileId (changed),
     capwapBaseWirelessBindingRadioId (No change)}
The reason of change is: The creation of Virtual radio interface is  
triggered by operation on the
CapwapBaseWtpProfileTable

Regards
Richard

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap/attachments/20090327/379663fb/att
achment.htm 

------------------------------

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

End of Capwap Digest, Vol 40, Issue 11
**************************************

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap