Subject: [Capwap] Please give suggestion to the model number issue in the Base MIB

From: Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:44:59 +0800

Hi,

The background of the question:
////////////////////////////////////////////
As per discussion in the IETF 74th meeting, new version of the base MIB
would add a function of "WTP profile configuration", and there is a WTP
profile
table (CapwapBaseWtpProfileTable) corresponding to it.
In the table, it has a MIB object: capwapBaseWtpProfileWTPModelNumber

capwapBaseWtpProfileWTPModelNumber  OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      SnmpAdminString
    MAX-ACCESS  read-create
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "Represents the model number of a WTP.
         A WTP profile MUST include the WTP's model number, which
         reflects the number of PHY radios on the WTP.
         In this way, the creation of a WTP profile triggers the AC
         to automatically create the same number of WTP Virtual Radio
         Interfaces corresponding to the WTP's PHY radios without
         manual intervention. With the ifIndexes of WTP Virtual
         Radio Interfaces, the operator could configure and manage
         the WTP's PHY radios through the wireless binding MIB
         modules."
    REFERENCE
        "Section 4.6.40. of CAPWAP Protocol Specification, RFC 5415."
    ::= { capwapBaseWtpProfileEntry 4 }

The question is:
///////////////////////////////////////////////
So there is a question how AC system get the information
(such as radio number, binding type of a radio) of a specific WTP's model
number?

The optional solution is:
///////////////////////////////////////////
1) Static data
For a specific software version of AC it would support certain the model
number of WTPs.
In the source code of AC software, it would have the model number
information.
So the AC could manage WTPs whose model number known by AC in advance.
The advantage is :  Quite simple, no manual work required to the operator
Disadvantage: The AC could not manage unknow WTP unless AC upgrade its
software version.
2) Provide MIB (CLI) to configure the model number's parameter.
At least, Such MIB should  allow operator to configure the radio number
supported
by a specific model number. Allow operator to configure the binding type for
each radio (identified by Radio ID).
Other parameter such as manufactory name of a specific model number also
could be configured.
 The advantage is :  Allow AC to support unknow WTP without software
upgrade.
Disadvantage:  First, the wrong parameter offered by the operator MAY
influnce the system's behavior.
second, although the Base MIB offer such basic (general) configuration for
the model number,
it could NOT cover vendors' all features such as antenna property, hardware
capability.
So it is still required by vendors to define some private MIB for the model
number's configuration.

In summary, there are two optional methods for the model number  issue.
1) Static data
The Base MIB does NOT define any MIB objects for configuration of the model
number.
Vendors could define the private MIB by themself if they need.
2) The Limited configuration for the model number
The base MIB only offer some basic (general) configuration for the model
number.
The configuation would include:
The radio number supported by a specific model number;
Other general parameter such as manufactory name of a specific model number
Allow operator to configure the binding type for each radio (identified by
Radio ID).

Which method should be choosed?

Please give your suggestion.

Regards
Richard
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap