Subject: [Capwap] WGLC start on the latest MIB drafts

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:22:44 -0600

Starting today a 2-week WGLC on the MIB drafts posted a few days ago
(May 29):

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-capwap-base-mib-05

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-capwap-802dot11-mib-04

Richard will post references to the ID tracker IDs for all the salient
changes made; these drafts have also been cleaned up editorially. Do
provide any comments you have for further readability improvements; as
well as all technical comments on changes.

The WGLC closes 17 June 2009.

Regards,

-mani

=============

Mahalingam Mani

408.321.4840 (w)

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:14:21 -0600

The WG last call issued two weeks ago (see below) has closed. You are
still welcome to provide comments. The drafts will be submitted to the
IESG in the next few days if I hear no objections in the next few days
until the weekend (6/21).

Regards,

-mani

________________________________

From: Mani, Mahalingam (Mani) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] WGLC start on the latest MIB drafts
Importance: High

Regards,

-mani

=============

Mahalingam Mani

408.321.4840 (w)

---

From: "Abhijit Choudhury (achoudhu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:52:24 -0700

Hi Mani,

Sorry for the delay.  Here're some comments on the base mib doc.

Thanks,

Abhijit

Section 5.7.  WTP Profile

   In a centralized WLAN architecture, a WTP profile is used to make
   configurations such as static IP address for a WTP before and after
   it connects to the AC.  It MUST contain the serial number [RFC5415
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5415> ]
   of the WTP because the CAPWAP message received from the WTP contains
   its serial number and the AC uses this serial number to find the
   corresponding WTP profile.
 
[Comment] A serial number is not guaranteed to be unique. This needs to
be 
          based on something that is guaranteed to be unique - like the
AP MAC address.
          Need corresponding changes in the rest of the doc where serial
number is
          is used like CapwapBaseWtpIdTC etc.
 
   Another important function of WTP profile is to trigger the creation
   of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces on the AC.  To implement this
   function, a WTP profile MUST include the WTP's model number
   [RFC5415 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5415> ], which reflects the
number of PHY radios on the WTP.  In
   this way, the creation of a WTP profile triggers the AC to
   automatically create the same number of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces
   corresponding to the WTP's PHY radios without manual intervention.
   With the ifIndexes of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces, the operator
   could configure and manage the WTP's PHY radios through the wireless
   binding MIB modules.
 
[Comment] In CAPWAP, WTP informs the number of radio's and creates the
profile. So, 
      instead of assuming number of radios based on Model number, we
should use that information.
      In fact, a model number is not indicative of how many radios are
active.  For example, a
      modular AP could initially start with one radio, and then have
another added later - but would
      be still using the same model number.

Section 7.2.  Relationship to IF-MIB Module

   Also, as an ifIndex [RFC2863 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2863> ]
is used as a common handler for a
   corresponding interfaces in the CAPWAP-BASE-MIB and specific wireless

   technologies MIB modules, the AC MUST have a mechanism that 
   preserves the values of the ifIndexes in the ifTable at AC reboot.
 
[Comment] This seems to be a very stringent requirement to impose. 
       Why do the ifIndexes need to be persistent across AC reboots ? 

From: Mani, Mahalingam (Mani) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 2009-06-18 12:14
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] WGLC concludes on the latest MIB drafts

Regards,

-mani

Regards,

-mani

=============

Mahalingam Mani

408.321.4840 (w)