Subject: [Capwap] Thanks Abhijit's comment, please check my comments inline

From: Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:56:00 +0800

Hi,  Abhijit:

Thanks you. I am a editor of MIB draft. Please check my comments inline.
(identified by [Richard].

1) Q1
 Section 5.7.  WTP Profile
  In a centralized WLAN architecture, a WTP profile is used to make
  configurations such as static IP address for a WTP before and after
  it connects to the AC.  It MUST contain the serial number [RFC5415
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5415> ]
  of the WTP because the CAPWAP message received from the WTP contains
  its serial number and the AC uses this serial number to find the
  corresponding WTP profile.

[Abhijit] A serial number is not guaranteed to be unique. This needs to
be based on something that is guaranteed to be unique - like the
AP MAC address.  Need corresponding changes in the rest of the doc
where serial number is  is used like CapwapBaseWtpIdTC etc.

[ Richard ] Suggest WG decide to use the AP MAC or serial number.
  Although editors think that serial number is ok, editors could do changes
  if most people suggest to use the AP MAC.

  2) Q2
  Another important function of WTP profile is to trigger the creation
  of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces on the AC.  To implement this
  function, a WTP profile MUST include the WTP's model number
  [RFC5415 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5415> ], which reflects the
number of PHY radios on the WTP.  In
  this way, the creation of a WTP profile triggers the AC to
  automatically create the same number of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces
  corresponding to the WTP's PHY radios without manual intervention.
  With the ifIndexes of WTP Virtual Radio Interfaces, the operator
  could configure and manage the WTP's PHY radios through the wireless
  binding MIB modules.

[Abhijit] In CAPWAP, WTP informs the number of radio's and creates the
profile. So, instead of assuming number of radios based on Model number, we
should use that information.
 In fact, a model number is not indicative of how many radios are
active.  For example, a modular AP could initially start with one radio,
and then have another added later - but would be still using the same model
number.

[Richard] The model number indicate how many radios a WTP could have and
 it is  the maximum number of radios.
When the vendors manufacture the AP equipments, the model number
already decide how many radios a specific AP could have.
Although WTP would inform the number of radio in use, the number should be
less than the maximum number decided by the model number.
If it is required, the drafts could add some text to handle the case
when radio in use is less than the maximum radios number told by
the model number.

3) Q3

  Section 7.2.  Relationship to IF-MIB Module
  Also, as an ifIndex [RFC2863 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2863> ]
  is used as a common handler for a
  corresponding interfaces in the CAPWAP-BASE-MIB and specific wireless
  technologies MIB modules, the AC MUST have a mechanism that
  preserves the values of the ifIndexes in the ifTable at AC reboot.

[Abhijit] This seems to be a very stringent requirement to impose.
Why do the ifIndexes need to be persistent across AC reboots ?

[ Richard]  It was ever discussed during last IETF 74 meeting
and had a conclusion at the time: The WG thinks that the mechanism
brought forward by the editors is accepable.
I would like send a the slide for the last meeting to Abhijit,
and it explains a mechanism about persistence of the ifIndex.

Regards
Richard
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap