Subject: [Capwap] MAC type and Tunnel mode question.

From: Yong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:02:28 -0700

Pat,

Is 802.11 tunnel mode allowed to use with local MAC?

Base spec said not, while binding spec. said ok.

Base doc P.94:

   MAC Type:   The MAC mode of operation supported by the WTP.  The
      following enumerated values are supported:

      0 -   Local MAC: Local MAC is the default mode that MUST be
            supported by all WTPs.  When tunneling is enabled (see
            Section 4.6.43), the encapsulated frames MUST be in the
            802.3 format (see Section 4.4.2), unless a wireless
            management or control frame which MAY be in its native
            format.  Any CAPWAP binding needs to specify the format of
            management and control wireless frames.

Binding doc P.15:

   o  The WTP MAY locally bridge client data frames (and provide the
      necessary encryption and decryption services).  The WTP MAY also
      tunnel client data frames to the AC, using 802.3 frame tunnel mode
      or 802.11 frame tunnel mode.

Thanks!

Yong
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:15:30 -0700

Maybe I'm missing something but I see both statements as supporting
tunneling mode with Local MAC. The base spec states: " When tunneling is
enabled (see Section 4.6.43), ..."

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Yong Zhang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:02 PM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: MAC type and Tunnel mode question.

Pat,

Base doc P.94:

Binding doc P.15:

Thanks!

Yong

---

From: Yong Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:00:38 -0700

> When tunneling is enabled (see
>            802.3 format (see Section 4.4.2),

Is the above saying that only 802.3 tunnel is allowed for Local MAC?

Yong

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:06:50 -0700

Ah yes, the base doc is correct. This seems like an inconsistency that should be addressed in a -bis doc.

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Yong Zhang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:01 PM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: MAC type and Tunnel mode question.

Yong

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:02:43 -0700

RFC 5416 states:

   Tunnel Mode:   This field specifies the frame tunneling type to be
      used for 802.11 data frames from all stations associated with the
      WLAN.  The AC MUST NOT request a mode of operation that was not
      advertised by the WTP during the discovery process (see Section
      4.6.42 in [RFC5415]).  All IEEE 802.11 management frames MUST be
      tunneled using 802.11 Tunnel mode.  The following enumerated
      values are supported:

      0 - Local Bridging:   All user traffic is to be locally bridged.

      1 - 802.3 Tunnel:   All user traffic is to be tunneled to the AC
         in 802.3 format (see Section 4.4.2 in [RFC5415]).  Note that
         this option MUST NOT be selected with Split MAC mode.

      2 - 802.11 Tunnel:   All user traffic is to be tunneled to the AC
         in 802.11 format.

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: Yong Zhang [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:11 PM
To: Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)
Subject: Re: MAC type and Tunnel mode question.

Can you comfirm if the followings are the only valid combinations?

Local MAC -- local bridging, 802.3 tunnel
Split MAC -- 802.11 tunnel

Thanks!

Yong