Subject: RE: Proposal for Kerberos hostname->realm mapping

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:19:54 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ken Hornstein [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, April 10, 1999 8:04 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Proposal for Kerberos hostname->realm mapping 
> 
> My only reason for suggesting _kerberos.domain is to try to avoid name
> collision (that's the reason for using _ in SRV records).  I'm willing
> to listen to other ideas, of course.

I believe that avoiding name conflicts is the reason for the "_" in "_udp".
It is not common practice to put an underscore in the service name, nor is
it needed, since service names have the whole scope of "_udp.domain" to play
with.

Paul
==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:52:28 -0700

> From: Paul Leach [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 23, 1999 3:20 PM
> 

> it needed, since service names have the whole scope of 

A correction: I just checked the latest DNS SRV record draft, and it indeed
specifies putting an "_" in front of the service name ("kerberos" in this
case).

I misremembered the change that the DNSIND WG had made. Apologies for the
randomization.

Paul