Subject: RE: Single Sign-On

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:27:48 -0500

>There was an original OSF
>RFC which specified PAM, which Sun based _their_ PAM implementation on.

No, Bob has it correct.  (He usually does for all values of "it" :)

The CDE project realized they needed an extensible login mechanism.
One that would allow a single "login screen" to look basically the same
on all machines, yet be extensible (via dynamic libs or whatever) to
handle /etc/passwd, YP/NIS/NIS+, KRB5, etc.

The vendors all sat around and said "I've got one."  Sun had PAM,
Digital had something like /etc/svc.order, and I forgot what the
other CDE members had.  They met, evaluated, and chose PAM.  Sun
agreed to contribute the technology, including public documentation.
You can find the Oct 95 "OSF RFC" (deliberately modelled after the
IETF RFC's) at:
	http://www.opengroup.org/rfc/index.html#rfc86
One of the co-authors of that document is Roland Schemers, a (past?)
contributor to this WG.

Hope this helps.
	/r$
-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 16:03:39 -0500

>No, Bob has it correct.  (He usually does for all values of "it" :)

(Open mouth, remove foot).  My apologies!

--Ken