Subject: Protocol Action: LIPKEY - A Low Infrastructure Public Key Mechanism Using SPKM to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:47:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'LIPKEY - A Low Infrastructure
Public Key Mechanism Using SPKM' <draft-ietf-cat-lipkey-03.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Common
Authentication Technology Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
The Simple Public Key Mechanism (SPKM) is a GSSAPI mechanism that
makes use of public/private key pairs to provide authentication within
the context of the GSSAPI. LIPKEY is an extension that requires only
one side of the association (nominally the server) to have a public
key certificate. The client side can use a password, which will be
encrypted, for authentication. LIPKEY provides the GSSAPI equivalent
of going to a Web Site via TLS and performing client authentication
via a password (which is encrypted by TLS). This approach has the
property that only servers have to obtain and deal with public key
certificates.

Working Group Summary

The working group supports this document.

Protocol Quality

Jeff Schiller has reviewed this document for the IESG and found no
flaws in the protocol.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please arrange with the IANA for the assignment of three OIDs
under the IETF arc and edit this document (sections 2.1, 2.3.1, and 4.1) to
include the newly assigned OIDs"

Also change the following references:

From:

    [RSA-IP]  Unidentified member of IETF's Public-Key Infrastructure
              (X.509) Working Group (Undated, but no later than 1999).
              "RSA's unofficial statement pertaining to PKIX."
              http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/PKIX-RSA

To:

    [RSA-IP]  All statements received by the IETF Secretariat are
              places on-line in http://www.ietf.org/ipr.html.  Please
              check this web page to see any IPR information received
              about this and other technology.

From:

    [Young]   Young, E.A. (1997). "Index of /archives/net/Crypto/libeay."
              http://ring.crl.go.jp/archives/net/Crypto/libeay/

To:

    [Young]   Young, E.A. (1997). Collected timing results from the SSLeay
              source code distribution.
-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]