Subject: Re: Single Sign-On

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:17:26 -0600

Vishal,

The Open Group has published a standard for SSO architecture and API which is
based on Sun's
PAM technology.  You can find it at:

     http://www.opengroup.org/online-pubs?DOC=008329799

--bob

Bob Blakley
Chief Scientist
Tivoli SecureWay Business Unit

"Vishal Goenka" <[email-masked]> on 03/07/2000 12:54:22 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: George Robert Blakley III/Tivoli Systems)
Subject:  Single Sign-On

Does anyone know if there is a working group that has single sign-on (sso)
as its area of interest? I haven't seen much discussion about sso in this WG
so far. If anyone is interested, I have posted an internet-draft on sso
architecture, which I would like to have to relevant WG take a look at.

The draft is named draft-goenka-single-sign-on-arch-00.txt

-Vishal

-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

-++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:11:11 -0500

>based on Sun's PAM technology.  You can find it at:

I think you've got it a bit backwards .... There was an original OSF
RFC which specified PAM, which Sun based _their_ PAM implementation on.

--Ken

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:47:28 -0800 (PST)

> RFC which specified PAM, which Sun based _their_ PAM implementation on.

Its been while since I worked on this stuff, but here is my recollection:

- versions of Solaris < 2.6 had a variant of PAM in them that wasn't
  for public consumption and didn't offer the "stacking" features of
  current versions of PAM

- while working on DCE at SunSoft, I helped the security group at
  SunSoft add features like stacking, etc.

- the OSF was looking to add PAM-like functionality to CDE, and
  PAM beat out other proposals by Digital and IBM. We then 
  started working on PAM with HP for the CDE project.

- Vipin Sumar and I wrote the OSF RFC at some point during all this

- I left SunSoft and worked continued on PAM and it ended up being
  used in the SSO stuff. I've never looked at the SSO spec so 
  I'm not sure how much it looks like the PAM that is in use
  in Solaris >2.6, Linux, etc.

roland