Subject: [Cbor] CDDL: Changing the name?

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:44:47 -0500

CBOR is something for thee the Canadian Building Officers.
No, actually it is Claims-Based Outcomes Reporting.
Really, it is Columbia Board of REALTORS™.
(Actually, Cbor - Michigan Commercial Board of Realtors).

CDDL has exactly this one other hit*) that is easy to disambiguate from a specification language.

I’d recommend against changing the name for no good reason.

Grüße, Carsten

*) Of course we knew about the license.  That seems to have kept “CDDL” free from other usages in IT.  A win!  (Oh, there are Certified Demand Driven Leaders now.)

---

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:10:23 -0500

> *) Of course we knew about the license.  That seems to have kept “CDDL” free from other usages in IT.  A win!  (Oh, there are Certified Demand Driven Leaders now.)

I assert none of those examples are encountered by a super majority of
the subject audience, while the reference in question is.

One may dismiss my anecdotal example, but I find it important to note
that a recent search of Bing/DuckDuckGo/Google/Yahoo all result in:

- Sites describing Concise Binary Object Representation and/or RFC7049
are showing up within the top 3 results
- Sites describing Common Development and Distribution License are the
top 2 or 3 results

Also anecdotal, I find I need to remind myself that CDDL is sometimes
not the license, but the descriptor language.

I think it's worth some effort to come up with a better name.

- m&m

Matthew A. Miller