Subject: [Cbor] Review of draft-ietf-cbor-tags-oid-00

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:12:57 -0700

*  Is (should) there be a way to have a map which can have a mix of OID and
binary fields w/o having to individually apply the tag to every OID in the
map?  (Assuming we are just talking about keys.)

** Addressing the request for discussion in the draft:

* Only doing one layer seems to me to be high preferable due to the
inability to turn the tag off.  I would be perfectly happy with 

[111({ h'550406': "US" }),
 111({ h'550407': "Los Angeles", h'550408': "CA", h'550411': "90013" }),
 111({ h'550409': "532 S Olive St" }),
 111 ({ h'55040f': "Public Park", h'0992268993f22c640130': "Pershing Square"
})]

* A different, and strange, restriction would be to state that you can
inherit though one array, one map, or one (array then map).  This is going
to cover all of the cases that we would every care about but makes sure that
if you have an array within an array the tag does not continue to migrate
downwards after the first array.   You still have the question about
canceling the effect on a true binary field.  However the following would
not be understood as doing the inheritance of the tag.

111([
     { h'550406': "US" },
     [{ h'550407': "Los Angeles"},{ h'550408': "CA"},   { h'550411': "90013"
}],
     { h'550409': "532 S Olive St" },
     [{ h'55040f': "Public Park"},  [ h'0992268993f22c640130': "Pershing
Square" }]
])

111([
	[ h'550406', "US" ],
     	[[ h'550407', "Los Angeles"], [h'550408', "CA"],  [ h'550411',
"90013"]],
	 [ h'550409', "532 S Olive St"],
	 [[ h'55040f', "Public Park"], [h'0992268993f22c640130', "Pershing
Square"]]
])
(yes I know that this does not match the subject name of X.500 but it might
be a better representation than what is there.)

Jim