Subject: Re: [Cbor] draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic: Processing recommendations

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 14:44:20 +0200

On 2021-04-21, at 22:23, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On 2021-04-21, at 17:15, Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> (On the mapping between content formats and tags I'll have to revisit
>> the discussion history; I was under the impression that at some point
>> this was tied to content format numbers, as in "registering 2**16 tags
>> at once", but seems I was mistaken here).
> 
> I still like the idea.

… and I wrote this up.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-bormann-cbor-tag-coap-content-format-00.html

Do we want this?

This is a bit below the minimum publishable unit :-)

Move it to notable-tags?  To file-magic?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 14:45:05 +0200

> Move it to notable-tags?  To file-magic?

I submitted a PR that fixes a few nits in file-magic and points to this draft.
Let’s discuss on Wednesday if we go ahead with this and, if yes, where to put it.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:40:08 -0400

> I submitted a PR that fixes a few nits in file-magic and points to this
    > draft.  Let’s discuss on Wednesday if we go ahead with this and, if
    > yes, where to put it.

The syntax, {{Section x.y of RFC1234}} is, I guess, a feature of a newer
kramdown than I was running.  I thought in another document that it was a
typo, but I see that it generates XML that I didn't know was possible.

I've merged that PR, as it seems fine to me.
It doesn't change the format at all, it just provides a existing source of
tags.

Not sure what to do with the "definition of empty" comment, but
usually->often seems well taken.

So, cbor chairs, please give me 5 minutes to put PR:
  https://github.com/cbor-wg/cbor-magic-number/pull/5

on the screen, because I think that it deserves wider discussion.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:54:18 +0200

> typo, but I see that it generates XML that I didn't know was possible.

There is a very low volume, highly secret :-) mailing list, [email-masked] (in CC), that I recommend subscribing to.

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-markdown

The two relevant messages here are:

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rfc-markdown/DvG3W4pmeApsE52RVnCDs1M6wsY/
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rfc-markdown/uoRbaWoaB01GgSXZFcKMC-z-RJc/

Grüße, Carsten