Subject: WG Chair review of draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-recovery-terminology-03.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:41:32 -0000

Hi,
Please find attached my nits review of this draft in WG last call.

Thanks,
Adrian

Category: Standard Track
Can a terminology draft be standards track? I don't know.

1. Abstract
Please don't number the abstract.

1. Abstract
   This document defines a common terminology for Generalized Multi-
   Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) based recovery mechanisms (i.e.
   protection and restoration) that are under consideration by the
   CCAMP Working Group. The proposed terminology is intended to be
   independent of the underlying transport technologies covered by
   GMPLS.
Please rephrase this to be more definitive. For example,
   This document defines a common terminology for Generalized Multi-
   Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) based recovery mechanisms (i.e.
   protection and restoration). The terminology is independent of 
   the underlying transport technologies covered by GMPLS.

Need a table of contents please.

2. Contributors
I think some of the contact details are ood

3. Introduction
Please rephrase this to be more definitive as in the abstract.

4.2 Traffic Types
   B. Extra traffic:
   Extra traffic is not protected by definition, but may be
   restored.
I agree that this is normally the case, but is it necessarily
the case? I.e. is it "by definition" or "by convention"?
So, for example, extra traffic could be transmitted using 1+1
protection on recovery resources of two other LSPs such that
the pre-emption of traffic on one set of recovery resources 
would have minimal impact on the extra traffic.

4.2 Traffic Types
   B. Extra traffic:
Could you make it clear that the extra traffic does not need to
commence or be terminated at the ends of the LSPs/spans that it
uses.

4.3 LSP/Span Protection and Restoration
   LSP/span protection denotes the paradigm whereby one or more
   dedicated protection LSP(s)/span(s) is/are fully established to
   protect one ore more working LSP(s)/span(s).
For "ore" read "or"

4.5 Recovery Domain
   The recovery operation is contained within the recovery domain. A
   GMPLS recovery domain must be entirely contained within a GMPLS
   domain. A GMPLS domain may contain multiple recovery domains.
There is no definition of "GMPLS domain".
A reference would do (but I don't think I have seen the term defined
elsewhere, so you'll need to define it here).

4.10 Switching Mechanism
   A switch is an action that can be performed at both the bridge and
   the selector. This action is as follows:
Would it be possible to change this term to "switch-over"?
I am concerned that we already have a switching term (cf MPL*S*).
(Sorry, there are a few uses of this term throughout the three
documents.)

4.12 Failure Reporting
Not sure of the value or completeness of this section.

4.13 External commands
   B. Lockout of normal traffic:
   A configuration action initiated externally that results in the
   normal traffic being temporarily not allowed to be routed over its
   recovery LSP/span.
Please clarify that in this case extra traffic is still allowed on the
recovery LSP/span.

4.13 External commands
You seem to be missing "Forced switch for recovery LSP/span"

4.16 Recovery Schemes Related Time and Durations
This section seems to mix policy-controlled times (such as hold-off)
with times that are features of the data plane technology and times
that are features of the control plane technology (such as detection
time).
The second category is missing some values (such as fault 
localization/isolation).
Perhaps it would be best to make this section cover only policy timers,
and put the remaining information into section 5 that is a more complete
definition of the phases.
Note also that "F. Recovery time:" needs to include propagation time. It
is not clear whether you intended this to be included in the "reporting 
of the signal fail or degrade" mentioned in the "B. Correlation time:"
and "C. Hold-off time:", or included in the "E. Switching time:"

5. Recovery Phases
   - Phase 4: Recovery (Protection or Restoration)
   See above.
   - Phase 5: Reversion (Normalization)
   See above.
Please give section references.

Section 5.1
   C. Deciding Entity (part of the failure recovery decision process):
   An entity that makes the recovery decision or select the recovery
   resources.
Read "selects"

6.1 1+1 protection
Capital "P"

Section 6.3 Notes
1. Please put a space as in "Note 1:"
2. Are these notes intended to apply to the whole of
   section 6 or just to section 6.3? I think the whole
   of section 6.
   Perhaps introduce a new section 6.4 "Notes on Protection Schemes"

New IPR section please.

10.1 Normative References
I would prefer that the non-IETF references became Informational
References. I don't think we would lose anything by doing this.

10.2 Informative References
Perhaps "Informational" would be more accurate :-)

11. Acknowledgments
   Valuable comments and input were received from many people.
Personally, I find that a bit off target. But if you no longer have
a record, so be it.

12. Author's Addresses
Read "Editors' Addresses"

New copyright boiler plate please, and fill in the address.