Subject: Follow-up on L2SC design team

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:51:52 +0100

In an unusual turn of events, everyone in CCAMP appears to be interested
in contributing to some work!

I have had a variety of emails from people offering to contribute to the
efforts of the Design Team and also asking detailed questions about
exactly what the functions at issue are. This is a generic response.

1. Design Team Membership

While I welcome everyone's involvement in this debate, I think that the
current design team is already too big. The team is chartered to produce a
10 page I-D. Given considerations of boilerplate etc., that means that
each DT member is responsible for only one page of text.

What I would prefer is that the team produces a draft that we can all
discuss on the mailing list and face-to-face in Paris. The objective of
the DT is not to arrive at a perfect and complete draft before they
discuss it with anyone else.

Thus, I'd like to thank you all for wanting to help out, and encourage you
to contact the DT direct if you believe you have something specific to
offer, but I would suggest that the main time for your input is:
- when the DT publishes a draft
- when solutions work is needed.

2. What's It All About?

This is a very good question. The CCAMP chairs felt that even with the
existence of Dimitri's I-D and his slides from Minneapolis, there was not
enough of a clear statement of what was being attempted. The main reason
why the DT exists is to try to write down and reach agreement on exactly
this point.

It is quite possible that once the DT has produced a draft there will be a
hot debate (on the CCAMP list) about what they have suggested and whether
it is correct, reasonable, realistic, and so forth.

Unfortunately, until then, I can't give you any answers.

Hope that helps.
Adrian