Subject: New version of draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs available on repository

From: "Diego Caviglia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:01:39 +0200

Hi all,
          a new version of the draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs is available here: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs-01.txt.

In this version we tried to integrate the comments/suggestion received 
privately and on the list on the -00 version.

Best Regards

Diego

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:20:51 +0200

hi diego

the doc enters in a discussion in section 1.1 which is the kernel of many 
discussions we have had on this list

from this perspective i'd like to know what you are referring to when 
stating

"A Label Switched Path (LSP) has different semantics depending on the 
plane in which it the term is used"
                                           ^^^^^^^^^

ps: looking at the terms used for LSP in the MP/CP, the corr. paragraphs 
just speak about representation of the data path 

much thanks, 
- d.

"Diego Caviglia" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
19/06/2006 09:01
 
        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     ""Adrian Farrel" <adrian", "Dino Bramanti" 
<[email-masked]>, "Dan Li <danli"
        Subject:        New version of draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs 
available on repository

Hi all, 
          a new version of the draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs is 
available here: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs-01.txt
. 

Best Regards 

Diego

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:34:42 +0100

Hi Dimitri,

> plane in which it the term is used"

A bit tricky to determine what is underlined here.

Anyway, you have highlighted and important issue.

Sometimes, when people say "LSP" they mean the data plane state. That is the 
sequence of data plane resources (links, labels, cross-connects) that 
achieve end-to-end data transport.

Sometimes people mean the control plane state created to manage the LSP in 
the data plane.

Sometime people mean the management plane/configuration information for the 
LSP in the data plane.

So the I-D needs to be clear what it is talking about.

> just speak about representation of the data path

Not sure. The authors will probably comment.

Seems to me that the I-D is talking about maintaining the data plane state 
while exchanging the control state between the control and management 
planes. This could probably be clearer in the draft.

Adrian

---

From: Dan Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:07:23 +0800

Hi Dimitri,

I think Adrian's answer is correct, I agree with him.

Yes, when we talk about the LSP, it has different menas based on different circumstance such as data plane, control plane and management plane. The draft needs to be clear on this issue.

For the terms LSP in CP/MP, we mean the control state is migrated between CP and MP without any impact on its data plane state.

Regards,

Dan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:40:41 +0200

hi adrian - see in line

"Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
20/06/2006 02:34
Please respond to "Adrian Farrel"
 
        To:     "Diego Caviglia" <[email-masked]>, Dimitri 
PAPADIMITRIOU/BE/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
        cc:     <[email-masked]>, "Dino Bramanti" 
<[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: New version of 
draft-caviglia-ccamp-pc-and-sc-reqs available on repository

Hi Dimitri,

[dp] i meant "semantics"

Sometimes, when people say "LSP" they mean the data plane state. That is 
the 
sequence of data plane resources (links, labels, cross-connects) that 
achieve end-to-end data transport.

the data plane.

Sometime people mean the management plane/configuration information for 
the 
LSP in the data plane.

[dp] agreed, my question is more is there really something different from 
base 
MPLS once we assume that a label can have multiple semantics (label, 
timeslot, 
VLAN, etc.) 

[dp] agreed

Adrian