Subject: RE: IEEE 802.1 WG liaison letter to the IETF

From: "Nurit Sprecher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 18:51:32 +0200

This liaison was imitated by the IEEE intentionally to address the same
question that  we wanted to ask the IEEE. 
The liaison clearly states that (currently) the only standard behavior
is the 12-bit VID translation, and the IETF should now focus on the
12-bit label encoding technique for GELS.
Regards,
Nurit.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Lucy Yong
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 17:46
To: 'Adrian Farrel'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IEEE 802.1 WG liaison letter to the IETF

All,

In 66th IETF meeting, there is an intention to send a liaison letter to
IEEE regarding what control plane could control/manage in Ethernet data
plane. 

This liaison from IEEE clearly states that IEEE has not examined MAC
address encapsulation in conjunction with VLAN tagging, thus this is not
accepted now.
It also clearly states that using two VLAN tags simultaneously is not
allowed.

Hence, now, standard Ethernet data plane bridge/switch based on MAC or
VLAN only. 
Do we still need a liaison to IEEE?

Regards,
Lucy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 9:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fw: IEEE 802.1 WG liaison letter to the IETF

Hi,

Those of you working on GELS stuff may find material in this liaison
(which will inevitably also get posted on the IETF site).

Adrian
----- Original Message -----
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: "IESG" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "Tony Jeffree" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 2:55 PM
Subject: IEEE 802.1 WG liaison letter to the IETF

The IEEE 802.1 Working Group approved the following liaison letter to
the IETF, containing clarifications in response to several queries
related to the use of IEEE 802.1Q VLAN tags.

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2006/liaison-contrib-to-ietf-m
ef-dsl-forum-0706.pdf

Please distribute this letter to the interested Working Groups that are
not included in the distribution list.

Dan
(wearing the hat of IEEE 802.1 WG liaison to the IETF)

_______________________________________________
gels mailing list
[email-masked]
https://rtg.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gels

---

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:14:28 -0400

Nurit

Please do not try to interpret the liaison. The Liaison says nothing
about 

"The IETF should now focus on the 12 bit label encoding technique".

It actually states:

"The protocol entities that make use of a given Ethertype are
characterized not just by the format of packets 'on the wire' and rules
for their interchange, but also by their defined interfaces to adjacent
entities in the interface stack and the MAC relay entity as well as by
their local management interface interactions"

In other words just looking like an Ethernet packet with a 12 bit VID
(or not) on the wire is not the only criterion. The behavior an impact
on the Ethernet switch needs to be taken into account. In other words
all schemes including your 12 bit VID still need to be discussed to the
impact on the interfaces as relays on Ethernet hardware.

Regards,
Don 

> From: [email-masked] 
> This liaison was imitated by the IEEE intentionally to 
> address the same question that  we wanted to ask the IEEE. 
> The liaison clearly states that (currently) the only standard 
> behavior is the 12-bit VID translation, and the IETF should 
> now focus on the 12-bit label encoding technique for GELS.
> Regards,
> Nurit.
> 
<SNIP>