Subject: Question on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-ospf-02.txt

From: "Pandian, Vijay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:35:38 -0500

Hi,
 
In section 4.2 Technology Specific Bandwidth Accounting, it says:
 
   In the ASON context, accounting on per timeslot basis using 32-bit 
   tuples of the form <signal_type (8 bits); number of unallocated 
   timeslots (24 bits)> may optionally be incorporated in the 
   technology specific field of the ISCD TE link attribute when the 
   switching capability field is set to TDM value. When included, 
   format and encoding MUST follow the rules defined in [RFC4202]. 

The signal types as defined in RFC4606 Section 2.1 covers a basic set. The signal type is used in conjunction with the other attributes like RCC, NCC, etc., to determine other Elementary Signal such as STS-12c SPE, STS-48c SPE, STS-192c SPE etc.
 
It is not clear to me how this 8-bit filed could be used to cover all the different types of signal types.
 
Thanks and best regards,
 
Vijay