Subject: A new draft draft-xie-ccamp-lsp-dppm-00.txt -- brif background

From: "gyzhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:03:12 +0800

Hi all,

A new draft draft-xie-ccamp-lsp-dppm-00.txt was posted recently on IETF website
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xie-ccamp-lsp-dppm-00.txt. 

Thanks to the chairman, we have be allocated a timeslot to explain and discuss this draft on the incomming Prague Meeting. 

The following are some brif background of this draft.

Our motivation of writing this draft originates from our involvement in
building and testing a GMPLS network in Eastern China (named 3TNet). 
One major feature that 3TNet provides is the dynamic and automated
provisioning of end-to-end Ethernet connections to media server and IPTV
head-ends. A finely tuned connection scheduling model is incorporated into
the service platform and in this way, content distribution and streaming
services alike can take advantage of dynamic end-to-end Ethernet
connections. The 3TNet consortium has defined a set of metrics
characterizing the provisioning delay and variance, so that the service
requirements and provisioning capability can be mapped to each other. 

As the interest for dynamically provisioned connections are increasing in
the community, we propose to standardize those metrics, as has been done for
IP. 
Our proposal received very positive responses in the 3TNet consortium, so we
started to prepare the draft in Sept. 2006. It has undergone a series of
revisions before submitted to IETF, thanks to the contributions of authors
from testing authorities, testing equipment and network device vendors.

Some of these metrics has been adopted in the ASON testing standard of China, and widely used in the testing projects of China Carriers.

The authors of the draft hope to get feedbacks and suggestions from the group.

Best regards,

   Guoying Zhang
   China Academy of Telecommunication Research,MII.
   Beijing  200240
   CN

   Phone: +86 1068094272
   Email: [email-masked]

　2007-03-12