Subject: Draft liaison to ITU-T SG15 : MLN work

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:22:56 +0100

Hi,

Here is the first of a series of proposed liaisons to ITU-T Study Group 15.

Please comment by end of business 3rd April.

Thanks,
Adrian and Deborah
====
To: ITU-T SG15
Cc: Stephen Trowbridge; Kam Lam; Scott Bradner; Ross Callon; Dave Ward
Subject: Multi-Layer Networking (MLN) Work in CCAMP
For Action
Deadline: 18th May 2007

The CCAMP working group notes your request to review its work on Multi-Layer 
Networking (MLN) as indicated in your liaison "Liaison Statement to CCAMP 
responding to ccamp liaison of 21 February 2007" dated March 2007.

We are nearing completion of our analysis of the requirements for MLN, and 
our evaluation of existing protocols, so now is an appropriate time for you 
review this material, and we would be grateful for your comments on or 
before the deadline marked above.

The requirements work can be found at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-reqs-02.txt
The protocol evaluation is at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-eval-02.txt

In your review of this material, it may be helpful to pay particular care to 
understand the definition of MLN that is used. It may also be helpful to use 
some of the terminology interpretation presented in RFC4397.

The CCAMP working group also anticipates working on protocol extensions to 
fill the lacunae identified by the protocol evaluation Internet-Draft. An 
individual submission on this subject may be found at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-papadimitriou-ccamp-gmpls-mrn-extensions-03.txt, 
but the working group has yet to make a decision about whether to accept 
this as the basis for the work.

Best regards,
Adrian Farrel and Deborah Brungard
Co-chairs, IETF CCAMP Working Group

---

From: Monique Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 02:23:48 -0400

Looks ok Adrian!

/m

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:27:17 +0100

Someone more awake than I has noticed that a liaison from SG15 in February 
2004 appeared to say that MLN was not of interest to ASON. Although things 
have probably moved on since then, we should check to find out the current 
situation.

So the draft changes as follows...

To: ITU-T SG15

We note that in a liaison dated February 2004 discussing the signaling 
requirements for ASON and reviewing draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-reqts-05.txt 
you said:

    11. G.8080 defines the ASON control plane as applying to a
          single layer.  Some examples in the draft involve multiple
          layers.  While not precluded by implementations, a suggested
          replacement example is contained in the marked up copy that
          is single layer.

Could you please confirm your current view of the definition of the ASON 
control plane in G.8080. Does the ASON control plane now apply to more than 
one layer? Could you please provide references to the appropriate sections 
of your Recommendations.

Best regards,