Subject: New Liaison Statement, "GMPLS Control of 802.1Qay Networks"

From: Adrian Farrel (IETF CCAMP WG) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:14:16 -0400

Title: GMPLS Control of 802.1Qay Networks
Submission Date: 2007-06-04
URL of the IETF Web page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi?detail_id=336 
Please reply by 2007-07-19

From: Adrian Farrel(IETF CCAMP WG) <[email-masked]>
To: IEEE 802.1(Tony Jeffree <[email-masked]>)
Cc: Paul Congdon <[email-masked]>
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Dave Ward <[email-masked]>
Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>
CCAMP Mailing List <[email-masked]>
GELS Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Reponse Contact: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
Technical Contact: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
Purpose: For action 
Body: The CCAMP Working Group of the IETF notes the recent approval
of a PAR for the 802.1Qay project, and we understand that 
part of the intent of this project is to support provisioning
systems that explicitly select traffic engineered paths within
Provider Backbone Bridge (802.1ah) Networks.

It has been suggested that GMPLS protocols developed within 
the IETF under the care of the CCAMP Working Group are 
suitable aids to such provisioning systems. We propose to 
investigate the applicability of GMPLS protocols to the 
control of 802.1Qay networks, and we would like to work with 
the IEEE by proposing suitable GMPLS protocol extensions for 
use in single and multi-domain networks subject to 802.1 
reaching consensus on the definition of the data plane.
 
Please confirm that in your opinion the use of GMPLS control 
plane protocols in this way is appropriate, and that IEEE 
802.1 has no objection to the IETF CCAMP Working Group 
starting work in this area.
 
Best regards,
Adrian Farrel and Deborah Brungard
IETF CCAMP Working Group Co-Chairs
Attachment(s):
No document has been attached