Subject: Moving forward with a GELS Control Plane

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:18:23 +0100

Hi,

Deborah and I have been discussing this with Ross. We are sending the 
liaison below to IEEE 802.1, and if their answer is satisfactory, we will 
make any updates necessary to the CCAMP charter to take on this work.

Cheers,
Adrian

==

From: IETF CCAMP Working Group
To: IEEE 802.1
Cc: Ross Callon, Dave Ward, Tony Jeffree, Paul Congdon, Dan Ramascanu,
Bernard Aboba, Bert Wijnen, CCAMP Mailing List

Subject: GMPLS Control of 802.1Qay Networks
For Action:
Deadline: 19th July 2007

We note the recent approval of a PAR for the 802.1Qay project, and we
understand that part of the intent of this project is to support
provisioning systems that explicitly select traffic engineered paths
within Provider Backbone Bridge (802.1ah) Networks.

It has been suggested that GMPLS protocols developed within the IETF
under the care of the CCAMP Working Group are suitable aids to such
provisioning systems. We propose to investigate the applicability of GMPLS
protocols to the control of 802.1Qay networks, and we would like to work
with the IEEE by proposing suitable GMPLS protocol extensions for use in
single and multi-domain networks subject to 802.1 reaching consensus on
the definition of the data plane.

Please confirm that in your opinion the use of GMPLS control plane
protocols in this way is appropriate, and that IEEE 802.1 has no objection
to the IETF CCAMP Working Group starting work in this area.

Best regards,
Adrian Farrel and Deborah Brungard
IETF CCAMP Working Group Co-Chairs

---

From: "Bijan Jabbari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:10:30 -0400

Adrian,

  Will the scope be limited to GMPLS or other provisioning methods will also
be considered in updating the CCAMP charter?

  - Bijan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ross Callon; Brungard, Deborah A, ALABS
Subject: Moving forward with a GELS Control Plane

Hi,

Cheers,
Adrian

==

Best regards,

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 02:26:50 +0100

I think CCAMP is limited to GMPLS.

If you have other proposals, I suggest floating them initially on the GELS 
list and then considering holding a BoF.

Adrian
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bijan Jabbari" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Adrian Farrel'" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Ross Callon'" <[email-masked]>; "'Brungard, Deborah A, ALABS'" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2007 3:10 PM
Subject: RE: Moving forward with a GELS Control Plane