Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

The Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp) working group in the
Routing Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Last Modified: 2008-07-21

Chairs:

Chair(s):
    Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> 
    Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Director(s):
    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
    David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:
    Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 

Technical Advisor(s):
    Lou Berger <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe: [email-masked]
    In Body: subscribe ccamp
    Archive: https://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp

Description of Working Group:

Organizational Overview

The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF
defining a common control plane and a separate common measurement
plane for physical path and core tunneling technologies of Internet
and telecom service providers (ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O
optical switches, TDM Switches, Ethernet Switches, ATM and Frame
Relay switches, IP encapsulation tunneling technologies, and MPLS
in cooperation with the MPLS WG.

In this context, measurement refers to the acquisition and
distribution of attributes relevant to the setting up of tunnels
and paths.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
  (measurement attributes) for describing links and paths that are
  required for routing and signaling. These will be developed in
  conjunction with requests and requirements from other WGs to
  ensure overall usefulness.

- Definition of protocol(s) and extensions to them required for
  link and path attribute measurement. Link Management Protocol
  (LMP) is included here.

- Functional specification of extensions for routing (OSPF, ISIS)
  and signalling (RSVP-TE) required for path establishment.
  Protocol formats and procedures that embody these extensions will
  be done jointly with the WGs supervising those protocols.

- Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
  properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

- Definition of management objects (e.g. as part of MIB modules) and
  OAM techniques relevant to the protocols and extensions specified
  within the WG.

- Work on traffic-engineering GMPLS mechanisms and protocol
  extensions to support source-controlled and explicitly-routed
  Ethernet data paths for Ethernet data planes that are already
  approved by an Standards Development Organization (SDO) with
  responsibility for the Ethernet data plane. It is expected that the
  primary SDO in this case is the IEEE. Note that the specification or
  modification of Ethernet data planes is out of scope.
- Work on GMPLS mechanisms and protocol extensions to support the
  transport profile of MPLS (MPLS-TP) in cooperation with the MPLS,
  L2VPN, and PWE3 Working Group and in coordination with the
  requirements expressed jointly by the IETF and ITU-T.

CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
  measurement protocol can be distributed in existing routing
  protocols, such as OSPF and IS-IS. CCAMP defines the generic
  description of the properties and how they are distributed in
  OSPF. The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being
  addressed in the ISIS WG.

- Define signaling and routing mechanisms and extensions to allow
  path and tunnel setup and maintenance across multiple domains,
  where a domain may be an IGP area, an Autonomous System, or any
  other region of topological visibility. To this end, work
  cooperatively with the PCE and MPLS WGs.

- Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and
  path protection. Specify signalling mechanisms for path
  protection, diverse routing and fast path restoration. Ensure
  that multi-layer path protection and restoration functions are
  achievable using the defined signalling, routing, and measurement
  protocols, either separately or in combination.

- Identify which requirements for signaling and routing for
  Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON) are not currently met
  by protocols defined in CCAMP; based on these, define mechanisms to
  address these requirements.

- Produce extensions to the CCAMP WG protocols and RFCs necessary
  to create an MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS TP). The work on the
  MPLS TP will be coordinated between the MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, and CCAMP
  working groups that are jointly chartered to do MPLS TP work.

In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the
following other WGs: MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, ISIS, OSPF, IDR, L1VPN and PCE.
The WG will also cooperate with the ITU-T and the IEEE 802.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Done	  	Post strawman WG goals and charter
Done	  	Identify and document a limited set of candidate solutions for
 		signalling and for measurement. Among candidate control solutions 
		to be considered are the existing GMPLS drafts.
Done	  	Build appropriate design teams
Done	  	Submit WG document defining path setup portions of common control

		plane protocol
Done	  	Submit WG document defining common measurement plane protocol
Done	  	Submit LMP MIB to IESG
Done	  	Submit protection & restoration documents to IESG
Done	  	Submit ASON signaling requirements doc to IESG
Done	  	Submit GMPLS MIBs to IESG
Done	  	Produce CCAMP WG document for generic tunnel tracing protocol
Done	  	Produce CCAMP WG document for multi-area/AS signaling and routing
Done	  	Submit ASON routing requirements doc to IESG
Done	  	Submit revised charter and milestones to IESG for IESG 
		consideration of more detailed deliverables and determination of 
		usefulness of continuation of WG
Done	  	First version WG I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS

		and OSPF
Done	  	First version WG I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh 
		membership
Done	  	Submit ASON Routing evaluation I-D for IESG review
Done	  	Cross-WG review of I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in 
		ISIS and OSPF
Done	  	First version WG I-D MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies
Done	  	First version WG I-D Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region
 
		Networks
Done	  	First version WG I-D for Evaluation of existing protocols for 
		MLN/MRN
Done	  	First version of WG I-D for ASON Routing solutions
Done	  	Submit RSVP-TE extensions for inter-domain signaling I-D for IESG

		review
Done	  	Submit Per-domain path computation signaling I-D for IESG review
Done	  	First version of WG I-D for OSPF-TE/GMPLS MIB module
Done	  	Submit GMPLS signaling in support of Call Management I-D for IESG

		review
Done	  	First version WG Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain 
		issues for disjoint and protected paths
Done	  	Submit I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS and OSPF 
		for IESG review
Done	  	First version WG I-D for Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN
Done	  	Submit GMPLS/ASON lexicography I-D for IESG review
Done	  	First version WG I-D MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and 
		solutions
Done	  	Submit LSP Stitching I-D for IESG review
Done	  	Submit I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh membership for

		IESG review
Done	  	First version WG I-D GMPLS OAM Requirements
Done	  	Submit GMPLS routing and signaling interoperability advice I-D for
 
		IESG review
Done	  	Submit MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies I-D for IESG review
Done	  	Submit Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region Networks I-D

		for IESG review
Done	  	Submit MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and solutions I-D for

		IESG review
Done	  	Submit Evaluation of existing protocols for MLN/MRN for IESG 
		review
Done	  	First version WG I-Ds for GMPLS source-controlled and explicitly-
		routed Ethernet networks
Done	  	Submit Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain issues for 
		disjoint and protected paths for IESG review
Mar 2008	  	Submit Control Plane Framework for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Aug 2008	  	First version of Working Group draft providing Control Plane 
			Framework for MPLS-TP
Sep 2008	  	Submit OSPF-TE/GMPLS MIB module for MIB doctor and IESG review
Oct 2008	  	First version of Working Group draft defining RSVP-TE 
			extensions for MPLS-TP
Dec 2008	  	Submit ASON Routing solutions I-D for IESG review
Dec 2008	  	Submit GMPLS OAM Requirements I-D for IESG review
Jan 2009	  	Submit protocol extensions for GMPLS source-controlled and 
			explicitly-routed Ethernet networks for IESG review
Feb 2009	  	Submit Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN I-D for IESG review
Jun 2009	  	Submit RSVP-TE extensions for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Jun 2009	  	Recharter or close Working Group