Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : GMPLS Ethernet Label Switching Architecture and Framework
	Author(s)       : D. Fedyk, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-02.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-07-13

There has been significant recent work in increasing the capabilities
of Ethernet switches and Ethernet forwarding models. As a
consequence, the role of Ethernet is rapidly expanding into
"transport networks" that previously were the domain of other
technologies such as SONET/SDH TDM and ATM. This document defines an
architecture and framework for a GMPLS based control plane for
Ethernet in this "transport network" capacity. GMPLS has already been
specified for similar technologies. Some additional extensions to the
GMPLS control plane are needed and this document provides a framework
for these extensions.Contents

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Peng He" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:02:29 -0400

Hello Don,

Just wonder if you are sure that the "VSM/VSR: Vendor-specific
extensions Message/Reply" is defined in 802.1ag also (page 8 in your
draft)?

Regards,
Peng

---

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:23:29 -0400

Hi Peng

I believe this refers to 802.1ag Clause 21.5.2 Organization-Specific
TLV.  My read of this is it supports Vendor specific messages.  Is that
OK?

Don  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peng He [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 12:02 PM
> To: Fedyk, Don (BL60:1A00)
> Cc: CCAMP List
> Subject: Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-02.txt
> 
> Hello Don,
> 
> > This draft is a work item of the Common Control and 
> Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.
> >
> >

---

From: "Peng He" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:01:45 -0400

Agreed from the viewpoint of functionality.

But see the context in your draft:

"...
Defined in both [802.1ag & Y.1731]:
   - CCM/RDI: Connectivity Check, Remote Defect Indication
   - LBM/LBR: Loopback Message, Loopback Reply
   - LTM/LTR: Link trace Message, Link trace Reply
   - VSM/VSR: Vendor-specific extensions Message/Reply

"
There are terms of 'CCM/RDI, LBM/LBR, LTM/LTR" both defined in 802.1ag
and Y.1731. That's fine. But there is no term like "VSM/VSR" defined
in 802.1ag, although there is a similar TLV  in 802.1ag. I just guess
that the current context (see above) might confuse people sometimes.

Regards,
Peng