Subject: [CCAMP] WSON Signals and NE Compatibility draft

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:22:28 -0700

Hi CCAMPers interested in WSON. We've published a revised version of
"WSON Signal Characteristics and Network Element Compatibility 
Constraints for GMPLS 
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bernstein-ccamp-wson-compatibility-00.txt>", 
draft-bernstein-ccamp-wson-compatibility-00.txt. Note that we renamed 
the file to avoid confusion with a different draft.

As discussed in Stockholm we are going to keep this separate from the 
RWA Framework draft and the WSON Impairments draft.
The relationship between these drafts is as follows:

   1. /WSON RWA Framework/ -- This document primarily covers the RWA
      problem and asymmetric switching systems. This draft assumes that
      all WSON signals are compatible with all WSON network elements and
      hence do not need to be characterized or checked against network
      elements for compatibility. No impairments.
   2. /WSON Compatibility/ -- This draft allows the WSON to deal with
      multiple signal types and network devices such as hybrid
      electro-optic systems that are compatible with only a limited set
      of optical signals. Models the WSON signal in terms of basic
      parameters and network elements in terms of /compatibility/ with
      these signals. No impairments. (Not currently a Working Group
      draft, currently an individual submission, but would like to
      advance this to a WG draft  rapidly).
   3. WSON Impairments -- Recognizes the existence of impairments and
      that not all paths are viable. Can convey impairment parameters
      for links and network elements (nodes).

*/Example:/*

How do these drafts relate to the use of regenerators?

(a)    Determining if an optional regenerator should be used is an 
/impairment/ consideration.

(b)   Determining if a regenerator can process a given signal is a 
/compatibility/ consideration. This includes the case of fixed (not 
optional) regenerators that are part of line systems.

(c)    Configuring a regenerator to deal with a particular signal type 
is a /compatibility/ consideration.

(d)   Path selection and wavelength conversion constraints of 
regenerators are considered by the /RWA Framework/.

Questions and Comments are always welcome.

Greg

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237