Subject: [CCAMP] Document Action: 'Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Ethernet Label Switching Architecture and Framework' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:45:26 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Ethernet Label 
   Switching Architecture and Framework '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ethernet-arch-09.txt

Technical Summary

   There has been significant recent work in increasing the capabilities
   of Ethernet switches and Ethernet forwarding models. As a consequence,
   the role of Ethernet is rapidly expanding into "transport networks" 
   that previously were the domain of other technologies such as 
   Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy 
   (SDH), Time-Division Multiplex (TDM) and Asynchronous Transfer Mode 
   (ATM). This document defines an architecture and framework for a 
   Generalized MPLS based control plane for Ethernet in this "transport 
   network" capacity. GMPLS has already been specified for similar 
   technologies. Some additional extensions to the GMPLS control plane 
   are needed and this document provides a framework for these
   extensions.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing of note.

Document Quality

   This is an Informational I-D.

   The I-D has had a good level of discussion and review. Several 
   liaisons were exchanged with IEEE and MEF during CCAMP's Ethernet 
   work to ensure compatibility and cooperation between the SDOs, e.g.:
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file396.txt
   http://ccamp.labn.net/old_ccamp/IEEE_240707.txt

Personnel

   Deborah Brungard ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.