Subject: [CCAMP] LMP critical

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:46:45 -0800

Hi,

I find a basic and critical issue with RFC4204 - LMP.

LMP defines the "Retransmission Algorithm" - Section 10.2, where a node
transmitting a message requiring acknowledgement stops transmiision when a
retry limit is reached.

Now if in the control topology two routers are unable to communicate because
of some intrmediate device not functioning they both timeout the config
sends and stop. If the intermediate link/ device is corrected the IP
reachability between the two nodes is then possible. However the control
channel between the devices never comes up as they both stop the config
message send. Similar issue can happen if a control channel on a device
configured as passive happens after the active device has stopped
retransmission.

I guess it should be added that this algorithm cannot be applied for config
messages.

Thanks,
Vishwas