Subject: [CCAMP] Proposed contribution to draft-bernstein-ccamp-wson-signaling-06

From: "PELOSO, PIERRE (PIERRE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:54:28 +0200

Hi ccampers and Greg,
 
During the latest meeting in Anaheim, I was asked to propose on the list for discussion some text dealing with the re-introduction of wavelength metric inside the signalling draft by Greg. The wavelength metric object is to be used inside the path message when performing LSP request.
The interest of the metric is to enrich the information collected on the wavelength availability, which could be used to perform wavelength differentiations according varying criteria.

So here is the text that I find fitting properly the needs, it actually is a slight adaptation of the text that was contained inside the first version of this draft:

   Distributed wavelength assignment makes extensive use of the label
   set object/TLV of [RFC3471]. Some wavelength assignment algorithms 
   require supplemental information concerning the potential lambdas to
   be used. An ordered set of TLVs in correspondence with the group of
   one or more label set TLVs can be used to convey this information in
   the form of a general wavelength "acceptability" metric.

   Note that the label set syntax of [RFC3471] allows group of
   wavelengths into ranges. For the purpose of supplementing this
   information with wavelength count only those wavelengths with the
   same counts could be grouped.

   The general format for supplemental wavelength selection information
   could be as follows:

   The information carried in a Wavelength Set Metric TLV is:

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |   Info Type   | Metric Size   |   Num Metrics                 |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |                          Wavelength Metric Info               |
      |   From lowest to highest frequency if more that one value     |
      |                              ...                              |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      Info Type: 8 bits

         0 - Single Value

   The enclosed single value for the wavelength metric is given to all
   wavelengths in the corresponding wavelength set.

         1 - List

   The enclosed list gets applied in a one-to-one fashion to each
   wavelength in the corresponding wavelength set. An error occurs if
   the number of metrics in this list and the number of wavelengths in
   the wavelength set is not equal.

   Metric Size:

   Indicates the size of the wavelength metric information as follows

         0 - 8 bits

         1 - 16 bits

         2 - 32 bits

   Number 0f Metrics: 24 bits

   Wavelength Metric: (1, 2, or 4 octets)

         The wavelength metric represents in some fashion the
   desirability or lack thereof to use this wavelength over another
   available wavelength. Different wavelength assignment algorithms may
   use this information differently.

Regards,

Pierre
_____________________________________________________
Pierre Peloso                                Engineer
 
+33 1 3077 2662                  Network & Networking
rte de Villejust
91620 Nozay (France)                   Alcatel-Lucent

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:10:52 -0700

Hi all this sounds good to me. I've incorporated the changes and sent a 
pre-release version to Pierre for editing. Please let us know if there 
are any other concerns or desired changes and I can roll them into the 
final edit before posting.
Cheers

Greg

On 7/1/2010 7:54 AM, PELOSO, PIERRE (PIERRE) wrote:
> +33 1 3077 2662                  Network&  Networking
> rte de Villejust

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237

---

From: Giovanni Martinelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:20:56 +0200

Hi Greg,

no editing to suggest yet but a consideration on this draft  related to 
bi-directionality so sections 5 and 6.

Having the same wavelength on forward and reverse direction is a common 
case but it's also a strong constrain so bi-directionality in general 
should cover both cases (same wl or different wl).

As far as I see solution in section 5 cover this while section 6 is 
still tbd. We were trying to get around this constrain using much like 
solution proposed in section 5 but with a procedure in 
draft-martinelli-ccamp-synch-signaling-01.

Now not sure how to move forward... we might discuss a bit at the next 
meeting.

Cheers,
G

On 07/11/2010 07:10 PM, Greg Bernstein wrote:
> Hi all this sounds good to me. I've incorporated the changes and sent 
> a pre-release version to Pierre for editing. Please let us know if 
> there are any other concerns or desired changes and I can roll them 
> into the final edit before posting.
> Cheers
>
> Greg
>
>> During the latest meeting in Anaheim, I was asked to propose on the 
>> list for discussion some text dealing with the re-introduction of 
>> wavelength metric inside the signalling draft by Greg. The wavelength 
>> metric object is to be used inside the path message when performing 
>> LSP request.
>> The interest of the metric is to enrich the information collected on 
>> the wavelength availability, which could be used to perform 
>> wavelength differentiations according varying criteria.
>>
>> So here is the text that I find fitting properly the needs, it 
>> actually is a slight adaptation of the text that was contained inside 
>> the first version of this draft:
>>