Subject: [CCAMP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments-07.txt> (A Framework for the Control of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON) with Impairments) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:44:29 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Common Control and Measurement
Plane WG (ccamp) to consider the following document:
- 'A Framework for the Control of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks
   (WSON) with Impairments'
  <draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

As an optical signal progresses along its path it may be altered by
the various physical processes in the optical fibers and devices it
encounters. When such alterations result in signal degradation, these
processes are usually referred to as "impairments". These physical
characteristics may be important constraints to consider when using a
GMPLS control plane to support path setup and maintenance in
wavelength switched optical networks.

This document provides a framework for applying GMPLS protocols and
the PCE architecture to support Impairment Aware Routing and
Wavelength Assignment (IA-RWA) in wavelength switched optical
networks. This document does not define optical data plane aspects;
impairment parameters, measurement of, or assessment and
qualification of a route, but rather it describes the architectural
and information components for protocol solutions.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.